1979 Lesabre Sport, for NHRA Stock Eliminator?

iraceitall

I rescued a 79 Lesabre Sport Coupe from the salvage yard, mostly because of the cool 2dr body, but when I discovered what I had, I decided it needed to be raced! I already have an 82 Grand Prix with the 252 being built for NHRA Stock Eliminator, but this intrigues me even more.

Here's the deal, car has to weigh 3540lbs less driver, keep stock engine and components with no porting, I can run any duration cam but must keep stock lift, roller rockers, up to 9.3:1 compression, stock turbo but as much boost as it can handle, stock Q-Jet, headers if available. Do you think I can get this monster to run low 13's like this?Just how much boost will it take? Any recommendations on converter (TH350 trans) and gears (4.10?)? I will be using a 29" tall slick in back.
I have messed with turbo 2.2 Mopars, but this is new territory to me!

Also, anyone got the airbox that fits on the carb? This one was missing the carb and box, but I have a carb tracked down from a 79 Riv turbo.

Well first off you need to look up workturbochargers and talk to Reed about it. The B4black cars are slow bet getting faster since we've had a few discoveries of late. There's now turbo upgrades as well as a few other tricks we can help you with. It's very possible to get 13'sa or lower with them now but you've got to know how to make it work for you. The engine likes 3.42's the best and it will keep it in it's power curve. If you go with 4.10's then you'll run out of steem before you get to the end.

What is the most boost I can consistently get with stock components? I cannot use an intercooler or water/alcohol injection. Any recommendations for converter? We usually use an 8" converter, approx. 4000 stall for Stock, will that work or do I need something different?

Stock turbo will die out somewhere around 12-15 PSI. A 4000 stall will kill you since the engine won't go that high in the RPM level. Max is about 5K and that's pushing the engine to it's limits.

I have a 10", 3000 stall converter in the parts pile, and some 3.73's. Guess I'll screw it together and see what happens!

I have a 10", 3000 stall converter in the parts pile, and some 3.73's. Guess I'll screw it together and see what happens!
Contact Reed My car has one his stock housing upgraded turbo with a t4 center section it looks stock and works great.My car has 373s love em this is an ongoing argumant on before black the stall and gears should work great.

Will do. But, I cannot modify the turbo in any way...
You can providing it's with stock parts. The stock exducer housing is a .83 AR and you can use the 82-83 housing which will be a .63AR. One other thing is using an 84-85 compressor wheel. Same dementions so it's technically stock.;)

Will do. But, I cannot modify the turbo in any way...
It looks 100 percent stock on the outside and bolts on exactly stock . Just tell them thats whats was on it,no way any tech knows what the inside of a 79 draw threw looks like anyway. Throw the stock knock reterd system away they are crap. Get a msd boost timing control will they let you use one? Also check your power enrichmant valve regulator on intake to make sure it works it is probably junk.

If you cannot use a msd I know another trick that will give you 10 degrees retard with factory parts

I can use an MSD, I was wondering about that anyway. I'll give that turbo some thought; does anyone sell them here? All I have is theone that came on the car plus one from a 79 Riv, which I understand is not quite the same?

My plan is to mainly just screw it together and see what I can get out of it, then upgrade a few things as I go. The NHRA stock index for its class is 13.80.

I can use an MSD, I was wondering about that anyway. I'll give that turbo some thought; does anyone sell them here? All I have is theone that came on the car plus one from a 79 Riv, which I understand is not quite the same?
Contact Reed 205 516 3946 tell him mike from omaha sent you.He is very pleasant to deal with just dont be in a hurry it takes awhile to build one they are custom

Will do, thanks! I think for now I will start with the stock unit, as I'm probably only shooting for 15lbs of boost. I am curious about how to retard the timing without an MSD though...

I wouldn't bother with messing with the compression until you gernade it, cause most likely it's gonna happen. Alcohol injection would be easy and shit to hide on that car, or you can run e85

Contact Reed 205 516 3946 tell him mike from omaha sent you.He is very pleasant to deal with just dont be in a hurry it takes awhile to build one they are custom
You can also tell him charlief1 says Hi.:D He should be able to help you figure out what you want to do to get the most out of it.;)

I would do this and keep the big exhaust housing on it and see how the car reacts first, it might like it. There's lots of little things you can do to help that engine out that really isn't "cheating"

I have a set of duuttweiler hot air headers that are ceramic coated I might be selling cant make up my mind

charlief1 said:
Well first off you need to look up workturbochargers and talk to Reed about it. The B4black cars are slow bet getting faster since we've had a few discoveries of late. There's now turbo upgrades as well as a few other tricks we can help you with. It's very possible to get 13'sa or lower with them now but you've got to know how to make it work for you. The engine likes 3.42's the best and it will keep it in it's power curve. If you go with 4.10's then you'll run out of steem before you get to the end.

I'd try the 4.10 gear set since he's using a 29" slick but probably settle around 3.73's. Only needs to gear the car to go 100ish and keep tye engine around 4400rpm max with the stock intake. Trans brake. 9.3:1, custom roller cam, and a few other tricks will get him the power he needs. A high pressure billet compressor wheel with a slightly different turbine in a pontiac comp cover would be bad ass. No limitation on octane. I'd target 13.50 as my initial goal.

What is the most boost I can consistently get with stock components? I cannot use an intercooler or water/alcohol injection.

What fuels can you run? Are you limited to pump gas, or can you run E85 or race gas? Octane will be you biggest limit on boost. The stock turbo will go beyond 15 psi for sure, but it will be very tough on pump gas.

Getting a 1979 LeSabre into the 14's, let alone 13's, is going to be very difficult with the limitations you have. Your starting out with a (high) 17 second car to begin with.

You have to run the correct 1979 casting numbers on all parts, correct? I remember someone here having issues because thier factory, stock intake casting number didn't match the NHRA books.