1979 Buick Century Turbo Coupe pictures

dwall

'79 Century Turbo

I did a little digging and found these pictures from a couple car shows here in WI over the past years. I'd be happy driving this car to the park and the Dairy Queen. ANYWHERE. Maybe occasionally goose it just for kicks, to make some onlookers scratch their heads.

Thought this car was a '78 but turns out it is not. Beautiful car anyway. Console looks kinda familiar. Does the interior remind you of anything? Nice wheels - kinda turboriffic or turbinettic maybe.

Well done 70's graphics - from those great days I guess.

Nostalgia will creep into your life too!

Is this Buick's RED?

P1010004.JPGP1010020.JPGP1010021.JPGP7210014.JPGP7210015.JPGP7210016.JPG

Enjoy.
Bob

Thanks for the pics Bob. I believe that color was firethorn red but don't hold me to that.;)

Yea you're right Charlie. It's a favorite here along with the D84 1987 two tone red Regals.

I found another pic - not Century? but a LeSabre Turbo. I am not sure of the year. He's another local guy I haven't seen in years.

LeSabreTurbo.jpg

The Century is a '79 and the LeSabre is a '78. I've actually driven that LeSabre. License plate says "pumpkin". I usually would run into Jeff at the Jefferson swapmeet, but I haven't gone in a few years.

Driving that '78 Turbo LeSabre was a lot like driving a 1976 Chrysler Newport with a 440 V8 - give it enough time and it would move out nicely. Big car - like driving a living room. ;)

Driving that '78 Turbo LeSabre was a lot like driving a 1976 Chrysler Newport with a 440 V8 - give it enough time and it would move out nicely. Big car - like driving a living room. ;)

I don't care who you are, that just funny Rich.:D

The Century is a '79 and the LeSabre is a '78. I've actually driven that LeSabre. License plate says "pumpkin". I usually would run into Jeff at the Jefferson swapmeet, but I haven't gone in a few years.

I got it wrong? Dam, you caught me, just another monkey on the keyboard. I should have done my research I guess. Maybe the guy ordered the Century in fall of '78 is what I recall. I don't know - nice car nevertheless.

http://www.beforeblack.net

That LeSabre is a fun car to check out and nice as I recall (take that with the grain of salt). You know, not just another Ford or Chev. The 70's was one those American bigger is better periods. Zero to 60 was best measured on a calendar. Jeff's LeSabre is a 2 door but the back seat might still qualify as a family room.;)

I'm probably missing something Charlie but is there anyway to edit thread titles?

The " '78 Turbo Coupe" is not right so replace it please. "1979 Buick Century Turbo Coupe pictures" should do the trick Charlie.

Looks like the Century turbo began production in '79 based on the BeforeBlack site. The original owner might have ordered it in 1978 but as is the American tradition the car would be a 1979 model year I guess. With that change anyone doing a search (in the interest of accuracy) will get the right stuff.

This old man is headed to big Chicago tomorrow and its late. Good night and thank you sir.

Thanks for the pics Bob. I believe that color was firethorn red but don't hold me to that.;)

Charlie, I think it is Saffron Firemist.
One of my Century's that color, and I had a '78 Delta in Saffron metallic.
Both are tan interiors.

I second that! X2 on red leather.

I missed out on a 78 or 79 Sport Coupe with 70+K miles at Jefferson a few years (maybe 10-12) ago. It sold for $3K before I could get back to the guy. It was pristine shiny black with a red leather interior. I wish I even had just a picture of it today!

The 79 Century Turbo Coupe was only avail. in 5 colors. According to the 79 Buick exterior colors chart they were white, silver, medium blue, dark gold & red. All were metallic except for white. Saffron Firemist was only avail. on Electra & Riviera.

'79 Century Turbo

I did a little digging and found these pictures from a couple car shows here in WI over the past years. I'd be happy driving this car to the park and the Dairy Queen. ANYWHERE. Maybe occasionally goose it just for kicks, to make some onlookers scratch their heads.

Thought this car was a '78 but turns out it is not. Beautiful car anyway. Console looks kinda familiar. Does the interior remind you of anything? Nice wheels - kinda turboriffic or turbinettic maybe.

Well done 70's graphics - from those great days I guess.

Nostalgia will creep into your life too!

Is this Buick's RED?

View attachment 197202View attachment 197203View attachment 197204View attachment 197205View attachment 197206View attachment 197207

Enjoy.
Bob

Nice car!

Nice car!

Yea sweet - wish it was mine. I like different. But you like GN's - I hear that. Well GN's are not your usual ride from all the rest out there.

I think its part of a family owned dealership collection in Central WI. They used to clear their lot on one end of the building and have a car show (charity driven) followed by a cruise to a North Woods watering hole for dinner & BS. Up to 150 cars sometimes. It was great but the founder has passed on sorry to say. The last couple shows were not such cordial affairs. I will try to look that show up this summer - its a nice drive at the very least. IMO this is the kinda car belongs in Turbo Buick history or collector calendar. It does remind me of my brother's X11 Chevy on the same platform.

Yea sweet - wish it was mine. I like different. But you like GN's - I hear that. Well GN's are not your usual ride from all the rest out there.

I think its part of a family owned dealership collection in Central WI. They used to clear their lot on one end of the building and have a car show (charity driven) followed by a cruise to a North Woods watering hole for dinner & BS. Up to 150 cars sometimes. It was great but the founder has passed on sorry to say. The last couple shows were not such cordial affairs. I will try to look that show up this summer - its a nice drive at the very least. IMO this is the kinda car belongs in Turbo Buick history or collector calendar. It does remind me of my brother's X11 Chevy on the same platform.

Yeah, if you can, find out which dealer that was. Thanks.

EDIT:Using my awesome detective skills, (I read the dealer plate), I sent them an email. I'll report back with what they say.

Last edited:
BTW, your brother's X-11 was on the FWD X car architecture, this Turbo Coupe was on the RWD A/G car architecture.

A nice 4 speed X-11 is also on my bucket list!

Using my awesome detective skills, (I read the dealer plate), I sent them an email. I'll report back with what they say.