'79 Century Turbo Coupe Survivor FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poncherello

Hello-

Although a long time fan of the Turbo Buicks, I am a noob to this forum. I am posting this car for my father. I kind of hope he doesn't sell it so that I may someday buy it. if nothing else, I hope to gain alittle more knowledge on these cars. Anyway, here it is:

1979 Buick Century Turbo Coupe. Originally a 3.8L turbo, and still all-original except for the engine. It has been replaced with an early '70's Buick 455. I don't know what happened to the original motor, and I wish it were still intact, but it's not. The body is super-solid with original paint (far as I can tell), original interior, and otherwise original drivetrain. The body has a few very minor paint chips, and the rear hatch could use a sand and repaint due to a very small amount of surface-rust, but only in the matte-black area, and should be a super-easy & cheap repair. I have searched the internet for production numbers on these cars, but haven't been able to find anything reliable. All I know is that they are super-rare. If anyone can help me here, it would be much appreciated. The interior is all-original as well and in unbelieveably good shape. It does have some sun-fading on the plastics, but absolutely no dash cracks, vinyl cracks, etc. Looks nearly new inside except for the fading on the plasitcs. Original wheels, etc. as well. Again, this is an unbelievable specimen of an ultra-rare car, and mostly original (motor aside). Would be a great candidate for a resto-mod, but I hate to even suggest that because of it's rarity. I say restore it to original and it'll put your kids through college some day. Seriously, this is a MUST-SEE TO BELIEVE CAR. Asking ONLY $2995.00 for this unbelieveable car. All opinions are welcome & any info on these cars would be helpful (maybe I can convince him to keep it!).

More pics:

http://s1022.photobucket.com/albums/af346/jyponch/Dads Buick/

Thanks very much!

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

cool car..i had a chance to buy one with the turbo engine still in it seized i think, almost given to me for penny's i passed on it too bad i wouldve like to have it for cruising now... it's a funny looking car... no offense! but its like a gremlin with a caprice front..they perfected the look of the turbo car's in the mid to late 80's IMO... def a cool car you got there good luck

it's a funny looking car... no offense!

None taken! I'm well aware of how wierd this car is. Absolutely not your "sexy msuclecar", but that's what makes it so attractive to me. Personality, I say. Love it or hate it, it's just got that "I don't care what you think" attitude! Unbelievably cool for that reason alone.....if you ask me. Then again, I AM the guy trying to sell it. :eek:

+1 i agree its a cool car no doubt about it! has anyone ever seen one of these on the road ? only very few of these were made i assume??

Before Black's web page says 1,653 Century Sport Coupes were built in '79. No telling how few of them were Turbo Coupes. Anybody know? Educated guesses?

Cool car. If it doesn't sell here you might try V8 Buick.com. With that 455 there's a good chance of selling over there.

Thanks for the info, Dewey. Ironically enough, I just ran a search on this forum for "Century Turbo Coupe" and found that someone already beat me to the punchline.....4 years ago! They had seen this car listed for sale at my father's dealership & posted it here. Since then, my father has been up in the air about whether or not to keep the car, and just recently decided to have me list it on the internet for him again. Condition is still unbelieveably good and price is still the same. Got to be a good buy on a rare car if you ask me.

Thanks again,
-Jerry

At the BPG event in Columbus Oh. this past summer a guy brought one in on a trailer. It was nearly perfect. Only one I've ever seen since I sold one new at the Buick dealership I was working for back in the day. Not sexy, but still pretty cool!

At the BPG event in Columbus Oh. this past summer a guy brought one in on a trailer. It was nearly perfect. Only one I've ever seen since I sold one new at the Buick dealership I was working for back in the day. Not sexy, but still pretty cool!

Agreed! Again, if anyone has any info on these cars, I sure would like to here it! Thanks again!

Also, the research I've done indicates that these cars whould've had a flying eagle decal on the front fender, but this one doesn't. Still, I would argue that this car is in it's original paint. I know some special edition cars could be ordered without the decals applied. Any ideas there? Just curious.

Frank Poncherello?

No, it's just a nickname I got when I was in high school. I'm a big Pontiac nut so my friends used to call me Ponch. Inevitably, someone eventually called me Poncherello. I guess it didn't help when I bought an old Goldwing that looked a lot like the bike Frank used to ride in the TV show :cool:

Greeting fellow Buick friends and enthusiast.... I have heard a few #'s roll around on the 1979 Buick century sport coupe turbo that I will share with you in a moment. However, my favorite is when you go to a car show, and they post on the car one of 100 or 1 of 849..ect..where do these people get there #'s from...so last year when I confronted a person with one of these sky draw #'s...the answer was ..."that's what I heard was made that year"....then they wonder why people think there cars are worth a million dollars.....l.o.l. anyway....I know in 1979 the sport coupe package Century Sport Coupe Package (Model G87) was available on 1,653. However the rare Turbo Coupe Package (RPO W13 - available on Century Sport Coupe) production # is unknown. So taken all of this into consideration, if you take the 1982 Buick regal grand national for example, 216 made, one for the prototype, 215 for the motoring public. You often see them for sale once or twice a year. On the other hand, I have looked for 15 years for my 1979 century turbo coupe...you just don't see them. On that note you would have to speculate that a lot less than 215 was made.....If I were to place a really educated guess without too many people screaming at me, and yes this is only a GUESS...I would place it at 100- 200 units, and my own opinion would be closer to the 100 than the 200. Its sad because they are such a really neat car, and they draw a lot of attention, good and bad criticism.....its like an advertisement, if your talking about it after wards, it worked, good or bad, like or dislike!

Let me know your opinion on my thoughts, I'm always up for new and better Ideas............

Your friend, BLK7GXN

I see more Century Turbo Coupes now, than non-turbo Sport Coupes. That being said, the number remaining of either is Very low. Took me years to find any. I had 4, now down to 3, none are running at this point, only 1 is complete. I've only seen 4 or 5 really nice, running CTC's.

Are you restoring the ones you have? Are any that your not restoring for sale as a whole or for parts? Just out of curiosity, what colors are yours?

Seems like the most common color is silver and white.......the one I own is red, the CTC seldom seen anyhow, but I never seen another red one. Somebody had a brown one, never seen another one of those either, to bad GM never kept better records of production breakdowns.

The complete, original (also have window sticker) CTC is silver. I also have a white basket case that has a swapped v8. Taking off parts and scrapping the rest. Third is body only, was originally "saffron", will be going to white when it goes on an 87 frame/drivetrain with a GNX suspension. The 4th was brown (??-too rusty to be sure). That one sold.
I also have a collection of rare NOS parts - rear spoilers, aluminum bumpers....

Take it to PM please. Poncherello hasnt been seen since Dec 2011. If he wants the thread re-opened PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.