1971 Olds

1971OLDS

Bruce,

Here are my pressure readings for my 1971 olds.

Because you probably get a million calls let me refresh your memory. I have a 1971 cutlass with a 455 hooked up to a 200-R4. The trans has never shifted right. I finally got my 4:11 gears in and want to do the final tweaking. Got the pressure gauge about two weeks ago and just got around to doing it tonight.

Here you go.

Stock stall convertor, I believe the manufacture the trans shop used is NAM. Lock-up is achieved manually. Supposedly the pump has been upgraded, hardened shaft, minor shift kit and new clutches and band..... I have a holley 750 single pumper, with the holley conversion kit. Thats about all I know about the trans.

Idle with the T/V cable off and at 1000rpm.
P=50, R=100, N=50, OD=50, D=50, 2=125, 125

Idle with T/V cable on throttle and at 1000rpm
P=90, R=175, N=90, OD=90, D=90, 2=125, 1=125

T/V cable 1/2 1500rpm
P=90, R=190, N=90, OD=95, D=95, 2=125(then burped quickly to 130 after a split second), 1=130

T/V cable Full 1500rpm
P=120, R=235, N=120, OD=125, D=125, 2=130, 1=125

Trans has a poor 2-3 shift, and shifts hard sometimes into 4th. When slowing down as the trans shifts from 2-3, then 2-1 sometimes it sounds like the insides are loose. Almost like how a universal sounds when its goig bad and you get on and off the gas. Doesn't do this all the time. I think it does this because the anual lockup doesn't release soon enough. I have not done a road test yet. I wanted to get this to you. Looks like the numbers are crappy. I have another convertor that is one step up in stall that the motor builder suggested but I don't want to put it in yet until I get this grief fixed in case this takes a dump. At least all I have to do now is buy another stock convertor. Unless you think that is the problem then I will try it. I also haven't taken the check ball out for the manual lock up yet. Would you like me to take it out and then run the test again?

Thanks,

Brian

Originally posted by 1971OLDS
I think it does this because the anual lockup doesn't release soon enough.

Boy, you got that right. Only releases once a year? ;)

OK, I'll shut up now.:p

MEAN BUICKS.

SINCE YOUR AN ENGINEER YOU'LL APPRECIATE THIS.

"LAST YEAR I COULDN'T SPELL ENGINEER. THIS YEAR I IS ONE...."

:) HEY I'M AN ENGINEER NOT A SECRETARY. THAT WAS A GOOD TYPO THOUGH.....

YEAH MINE OPENS ONCE A YEAR TO. OK, I'LL SHUT UP.

I am very surprised Greg didnt say anything. Those pressures are all outta whack ( very Low) with the exception of reverse boost seems to be working but manual low is off. Something is amiss. Hrmmm.....:)

Bruce
We4
www.PTSnctb.com

This is just a SWAG

Could it be forward clutch seal rolled or some how related to the forward clutch, since press only lo in forward gears? Like I said just a SWAG.

Jim

I don't think it's limited to the forward clutch circuit either because the pressure is not boosting properly in P or N.

Since you mentioned a noise. it sounds like it could possibly be a broken pump ring or rings.

FINAL RESULT

Thought the board might be interested in how my 200r4 in the 1971 cutlass is doing.

Just got it back tonight.

Want to wish everyone a happy new year and welcome back Bruce. Hope that all is well and you are well rested.

After purchasing my pressure guage from Bruce and finding out my pressures were way off. I confronted the trans shop in a business manner. Told what I didn't like and what I had found. They said no problem. Brought it in and they had it for about a week.

Seems the valve body was crap. They replaced it and put a Trans Go shift kit in it, and for lock-up we went with B&M adjustable electronic lock-up.

All is well and it is shifting like a performance trans should shift. Its not neck snapping, I didn't want that. But it is firm and quick.

The lock-up works real good. I would definately recommend the unit.

Well that is all for now. Hopefully this build lasts for a while. I'm going to whoop on it all weekend and let them know what I think on monday.

Talk to you later and thanks for everyones help including meanbuick and Bruce.

Brian

Thats Great!!!!

Thats great! Glad it worked out for you. And it sounds like the shop you invested in is and did their part also. Kudos to them. Now drive and enjoy. Hope all goes well.
See.... Armed with the correct info , it is much easier for all involved...:):)

Good luck

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

(p.s..... Thanks for inquiring about me. I am doing much better thanks...BT)