1963 chevy II

More pics

Well I have had the car running for awhile now, and I have the boost controller set to 13.5Psi and the tune is still rich (mid 10's AFR on wideband). I took it to the track and tried three passes and all three times it would not shift from 2nd to 3rd. I have a TH350(was in the car when I bought it) and I thought it was a modulator valve thing but it turns out the guy had put a deep sump pan on the trans and did not use the filter extender. It drove fine around town just rolling into it but at the track taking off and never letting up made the fluid go to the back of the pan and not shift into third. Anyway it burned some clutches. I had a friend rebuild the trans and he installed a 36 element sprag and tci full manual valvebody with transbrake. WOW before I could only get 3000rpm on footbrake, now it goes to 4000 on the transbrake. Will have to do a convertor slip calculation to check for correct stall. Soo with 13.5psi boost and third gear issue it ran two passes at 13.0 @109MPH with a 1.8 60' and the last pass 13.7 at 102mph here are some more pics.

Attachments

• 100_6869.jpg
    100_6869.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 100_6870.jpg
    100_6870.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,442
  • DSC01146.jpg
    DSC01146.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,435
  • DSC01147.jpg
    DSC01147.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,551
Cant wait to see the car.I had a 63 just before getting into the turbo cars in the mid 90s .I did mine the easy way 327.yours is waay cooler

Nice car. I like the simplicity of the early Chevy II's, also they are pretty light weight in street trim.

Update?

Any new times yet with the boost cranked up?

Mike Barnard

To say the least, this is a cool build. I love the early Chevy II/Nova cars. I think they're one of the best looking ones out there.

Update

Hi guys thanks again for the reply's, I did get the trans bugs worked out and the transbrake installed. At 15psi it ran 11.7 @117mph and here is the video YouTube - 63 chevyII with turbo grand national v6 motor After that I converted it to E85 and tuned it to 17psi and it was "REALLY" starting to run strong but I ran into some fuel system problems, I came across a deal on a classic fast with wideband option so I am in the beginings of the tuning stage again, so as soon as I get it tuned I will head back to the track.

Update

Hi, I converted the car to e85 which led to some fueling issues but I have to say the guys on the e85 board got me straightened out. Well I tuned the car to 25 pounds boost and I ran a 10.561 at 130mph with a 1.47 60 foot. That was my best pass of the night. I tell you what though it was lifting the front tire about 6" of the ground when leaving on the trans brake and what a rush that was! I did make a pass staging it up as if I was on the desolate road I usually tune the car on. I did this because I have never even come close to leaving that hard. The car went 11.03 at 129 with a 1.8 sixty foot. The 11.03 I swear I could have had the window down and felt like cruising compared the the violent tire off the ground 1.47 60 foot. What a huge difference between the two. I will try and post a video of it next week.

Update

Well, I began putting a cage in the car after the 10.5 pass. I bought the parts from chassisworks and I was going to install it but after messing with it and knowing I wanted it to turn out nice and pass a certification I had a guy who used to build for chassisworks but now builds race cars on the side do it. He did an awesome job and I am very happy with it. I am planning on going to grudgefest this Saturday at Sacramento raceway. I turned the boost up. It is hard to get an accurate reading because with the old setting if you would boost it up, it would go straight to 17psi then slowly make its way to about 21 but on the track with a transbrake 8psi launch it would have made it to 25psi right at the end. Now I have it set so on the street it goes straight to 24psi but it only seems to creep to 25psi so we will see how high it goes. I have my maps above 25psi rich and will datalog and make adjustments at the track. Oh yea I also changed the gear ratio from 3.50 to 3.25 because it was out of the rpm range at the end of the track. I have to really keep an eye on converter slippage because Bison and some other people stated it is going to have a problem based on previous posts and I think they are correct.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 707
Update

Went to pinks all out at infeneon raceway and broke the rear end. Here is a link and pics: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...60-broke-rear-end-pinks-all-out-infineon.html
I have since built a new third member with 3.25 gears and a spool. Had Torque converter tightened again, and borrowed a driveline from a friend and took it to the last grudge match at Sacramento raceway a few weeks ago. Ran the fastest ET so far 10.4 Also should add The car lost some weight due to the 9" aluminum housing and removal of the heater box. It now weighs 3055 without driver.

. Oh yea I also changed the gear ratio from 3.50 to 3.25 because it was out of the rpm range at the end of the track.

I did the same thing. I had 3:50's in the Camaro and switched down to 3:25's with a 28" tall tire. Didn't hurt my 60' and I wasn't at 6000rpm at the end of the track anymore!

I like the lower gear. Car likes it too. When your making torque ya don't need the tall gear.

I've not gotten the courage to use the transbrake yet. I'm too chicken Lol.

I need to put my car on a diet this winter :)
Great job,
Scott~

Well I have not been here for awhile so I thought I would update. The best time I ever got was a 10.4 with a best 60' of 1.47 . I have since put in a bone stock LQ4 with a pt88 and 160lb injectors on E85 controlled by a megasquirt 3. Using same convertor(PTC) and 15.5 pounds of boost and 15 degrees total timing I have run a 10.17@133 with a 1.5 60' I will be putting a rebuilt LQ4 in it soon with forged internals and turning up the boost.
car pics 021.jpg
car pics 022.jpg
Here are some pics

Attachments

• car pics 020.jpg
    car pics 020.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 129
Well I have not been here for awhile so I thought I would update. The best time I ever got was a 10.4 with a best 60' of 1.47 . I have since put in a bone stock LQ4 with a pt88 and 160lb injectors on E85 controlled by a megasquirt 3. Using same convertor(PTC) and 15.5 pounds of boost and 15 degrees total timing I have run a 10.17@133 with a 1.5 60' I will be putting a rebuilt LQ4 in it soon with forged internals and turning up the boost. View attachment 166666View attachment 166670 Here are some pics
man i love this car.keep us up to date on the progress.

Thanks and I will keep you updated. I have visited alot of sites on the internet and Turbobuick.com is by FAR the best website I have ever used. I was kind of a bastard child but had a home on this site under the Hybrid section. It is nice to here someone say I am still welcomed on this site because I do not want to leave it, and I feel like it is my home........

Thanks and I will keep you updated. I have visited alot of sites on the internet and Turbobuick.com is by FAR the best website I have ever used. I was kind of a bastard child but had a home on this site under the Hybrid section. It is nice to here someone say I am still welcomed on this site because I do not want to leave it, and I feel like it is my home........
i see you have the inter cooler on the left side,will a large front mount fit.wait till you start work on the stock lq4.there is alot to get out of one of them turboed.you should have no problem getting to your goals.what are you tring to get out of the car?

That air to water inter cooler is deceivingly big. It sits back into the wheel well about an additional 8 inches and is rated for 1500cfm. I am running a Megasquirt 3 and I monitor the IAT's at the intake. IAT temps are in the 100's (about ambient for here) at the beginning of a run and are usually in the 140's by the end of a 1/4 mile. I am also on E85 so I am sure that is cooling down the charge quite abit but it is post IAT sensor so I do not know how much. I already have another short block built and it consists of ARP studs (Head and mains), Eagle crank, Callies 6.125" rods, Weisco-11cc pistons and a 232/240 595/608 cam with a 115 lobe separation. For the heads which should be here in the next few days, I am using Allpro's. The combustion chambers are 71cc's and they have 2.10" /1.60" valves. They are supposed to flow 340cfm on the intake at .750 lift. hope to have it to the track before the end of the year. I would expect it to run bottom 9's at 24psi boost which is about where I believe that PT88 turbo will me maxed out with back pressure(t4 .96A/R). but that is plenty fast for me as I have always set my sights on 9.9999999 :)

That air to water inter cooler is deceivingly big. It sits back into the wheel well about an additional 8 inches and is rated for 1500cfm. I am running a Megasquirt 3 and I monitor the IAT's at the intake. IAT temps are in the 100's (about ambient for here) at the beginning of a run and are usually in the 140's by the end of a 1/4 mile. I am also on E85 so I am sure that is cooling down the charge quite abit but it is post IAT sensor so I do not know how much. I already have another short block built and it consists of ARP studs (Head and mains), Eagle crank, Callies 6.125" rods, Weisco-11cc pistons and a 232/240 595/608 cam with a 115 lobe separation. For the heads which should be here in the next few days, I am using Allpro's. The combustion chambers are 71cc's and they have 2.10" /1.60" valves. They are supposed to flow 340cfm on the intake at .750 lift. hope to have it to the track before the end of the year. I would expect it to run bottom 9's at 24psi boost which is about where I believe that PT88 turbo will me maxed out with back pressure(t4 .96A/R). but that is plenty fast for me as I have always set my sights on 9.9999999 :)
that should be no problem.there are alot of boosted ls engine in the 9s.i love the car good luck to you.