1963 chevy II

turbo6man

Hi Guys, here are some pics of my 63 chevyII I found it very hard to run the stock front clip so I found a company called Checkered Racing online and I bought there clip it uses coil over suspension and a rack and pinion. There is still alot of welding and bracket making to make this clip work but for the price it is a good deal, and it gives you a sense of accomplishment because it is not just plug and play.

Attachments

• 100_5713.jpg
    100_5713.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,907
Here is a pic of me locating the motor and making the motor mounts. The drivers side valve cover hit allittle so I had to modify the firewall and I also had to modify the crossmember to get the motor where I wanted it, and the driveline angle correct for the rear end.

Attachments

• 100_5722.jpg
    100_5722.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,883
Here is a picture of the front clip all together and powder coated. Note if you look to the left of the master cylinder and just below the windshield wiper motor hole, you will see the flat spot where I had to modify the firewall for the valve cover clearance.

Attachments

• 000_0358.jpg
    000_0358.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,780
Here is the motor installed. The Turbo is A t70 and I am running 75lb injectors with ported stock heads and larger valves. An applied Technologies roller cam and the RJC girdle. The transmission is a turbo350 with a 3500 RPM (9") stall convertor. The downtube is an RJC 5" to the first turn then I made the rest. It turns into 4" exhaust at the firewall and is 4" the rest of the way out. Note the upper (grey) portion of the fenderwell was purchased from Chris Alston's (So I can bolt on original hood and hinges). and the aluminum was modifed to fit it from the checkered racing kit.

Attachments

• DSCN1018.jpg
    DSCN1018.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,850
On the far side the one gallon fuel cell is actually a reservoir for the liquid intercooler. On the left of the pic you can see the heat exchanger for it and I installed the bosch pump from a ford lightning underneath it. The intercooler is actually quite larger (16" X 12.5" x 4.5") but most of it is in the wheel well.

Attachments

• DSCN1012.jpg
    DSCN1012.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,778
Here is the exhaust exiting from the downtube. NOTE the transition from 5" to 4" at the top, and also I had to modify the firewall (made the CONCAVED area) so the exhaust will not hit the tire. The muffler is a 4" magnaflow. I am going to route it out the back but have to wait for the completion of the four bar suspension.

Attachments

• DSCN1015.jpg
    DSCN1015.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,763
I am currently Installing a ford 9' (3.50 gears) with a Checkered Racing rear 4-bar kit. Will submit more pis as I progress.

Attachments

• 000_0353.jpg
    000_0353.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,738
I guy that goes to our local cruise nights has a Chevy II with that front clip. He's running a sbc of course.;)
Nice job. That intercooler setup is sharp.

Keep the updates coming. I want to do this to my wifes 63 every I look at it. I guess the Straight 6 is good for her.

Very nice, I love seeing new hybrids. Every time you think you've seen it all something like this drops by. Thanks for the pics man.

How refreshing to see a Chevy II that is NOT a sbc, great work !

I have a buddy here in Omaha that has a 63SS ChevyII convert with a GN champion aluminum headed motor and tranny in it. It fly's so I can only imagine what your's is gonna do :eek:

Very nice !!

Hey turbo6man,

It's nice to see the progress on your car. I think you did the right thing by getting rid of the old front clip and doing it right. It's something that I'm thinking of doing now, after-the-fact, when I should have done it right away. I was trying to keep my car in the "stock chassis heads up classes" that some friends ran at the time. Sigh...

BTW, I don't recall ever posting photos of my buildup, so I decided that for nostalgic reasons, I probably should.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/271862-66-nova-hybrid.html#post2057744

Liquid-to-air IC to boot... I suppose you'll want to make it fly now!!
You're on the right track. Keep it up and keep me posted.