1911vs Glock vs S&W

Dabigguy

Pompous azz
I love my Kimber Stainless II, but some of the guys I shoot with are not fans of the 1911 platform. What are your thoughts. I especially would like to hear from the 1911 guys.

The 1911 is by far my favorite gun. It is very dependable and always shoots straight.
In saying that I still use a glock for home safety because of Ease of operation doring a stress full situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will come down to personal preference. The Glock is lightweight, has a higher capacity, easy to use, stays clean through 1000s of rounds and is cheaper. The double trigger safety is easy to use as well.

Ease of use comes down to training with any gun but if it were me, the Glock is my choice.

I have the .40 cal version and I like it. I have had Sigs before this and I still like them but the Glock is easier to use.

Your choice.

I have two 1911's. Kimber .45 in a 4 inch barrel and a Springfield range officer .45 in a 5 inch barrel. I enjoy both but for different reasons. For accuracy, I prefer the range officer but not as a carry gun as it's bit heavier in the holster. I prefer the kimber as a carry gun for it's size but I just can't bring myself to adjust the sight picture for it's low and left shooting tendecy at anything past 12 yards. I also have a S&W bodyguard .380 that I use to conceal carry for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, nothing beats the 1911. I have shot thousands of rounds through both of the 1911's without issue. Routine maintenance, cleaning and the occasional recoil spring change.

6 1911 platform guns here: all .45 auto, all 5" except 1 6" James Hoag longslide
Wilson Combat Classic SG, Springfield Armory custom shop Rob Letham TGO1,
Ed Brown Executive Target, Les Baer Premier II, & SA Trophy Match.

Good2win22, have you had any issues with light primer strikes with your Bodyguard? I have about 60-70 rounds thru mine and have had 10+ FTF. I have not tried another brand of ammo yet, but plan to soon. I used 380 Auto 90gr JHP Aguila Any thoughts?
I have about 4 to 500 hundred rounds through the bodyguard and have yet to have a FTF. I did have some feeding issues after about 150 rounds. Polished the ramp and no issues since. I used Hornady till I had enough brass to load for myself

Ive had two 1911s, a SR1911 and a very old M1911. The SR1911 was probably the best shooting gun I've ever fired. The M1911 not so much. I also own a G30 and that shot amazing as well. They're really hard to compare.

My first carry was a 1991 from Colt. Super soft steel but it still worked nicely. Big, heavy, and lots of little levers and controls and sharp corners everywhere. It failed miserably in the concealed carry role. No rail or night sights for a bed side gun in the dark. Sold it for a Sig Pro. Very nice gun but got sick of the whole double action first shot and single action for the rest of the magazine. Too inconsistent for competition. Sold that and bought a Glock 17 and never looked back. Slides out of my holster quickly, nothing to hang up, no safties or little gadgets on the slide, with night sights and a rail. Couldn't be happer. Just the FRAME of my 1911 weighed as much as my entire loaded Glock lol. But the recoil was the same. Even though I'm a Glock certified armorer now, I'm still not biased. But Glock perfected how to tame recoil without having to add a bunch of weight to do so.
I was soo impressed I bought the 26 for carry, and the 37 (4th gen glock .45 gap) for nightstand duty. I have a streamlight laser/light combo with night sights and it's the perfect gun for night use. I can illuminate my target for target ID so that I'm not droppin the hammer on someone I shouldn't be, and it holds more rounds and is lighter than the all steel, too finicky 1911 platform.
So in closing, while I still am a huge 1911 fan, there's really no competition between a 1911 and a Glock. The Glock has all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of an all steel pistol. It's cheaper, lighter, WAY nicer to carry, doesn't rust, doesn't jam, and doesn't take a long time to learn. It's easy to do your own maintenance too. Anyone here can bust one down to all it's individual pieces for a good cleaning, and reassemble in ten minutes with just one simple punch. It doesn't get any better than that. As far Smith & Wesson, I don't mess with them-they're anti gun, steal a LOT of designs from other manufacturers, and their customer service is in the shitter. Read some articles concerning Clinton and Wesson.

Glad you're happy with your Glock.
1911 platform .45 auto fan here.
6 of them all for target work.

6? lol. Wow. None of them foot the bill quite right? My one Glock does it all. Every time. And no need for a gun smith either. :)

Wilson Combat Classic SG
Springfield Armory Custom Shop Rob Letham "TGO1"
Ed Brown ET
Jim Hoag custom longslide
Les Baer Pll
SA Trophy Match

They all fit the bill, all the time & every time.
Glock is like an ugly pet, it still comforts you,
just doesn't look pretty.

Glock 27 CCW here I don't leave home without it.lots of target practice 100,s & 100,s of rounds thru her! without not so much as a hiccup. dependable as the day is long and deadly accurate.

Springfield 1911 for bullseye (dots the I's and crosses the T's). Colt 1991 for USPSA. I cast and reload my own so I'm down to about 7 cents a shot. I don't have anything against Glocks or Smith's, just like the form and fit of the 1911.

I don't own a 1911, but I have a glock 26 off duty and a glock 23 gen 4 and gotta say love them both.. easy to use and always shoots, never had a problem.

I have a Springfield 1911 in stainless with spalted maple grips. Shoots just fine and I carry it for longer trips out of town. I also own a very low SN 2nd year US GI 1911 that dates to a build year of 1913. It still has 90% of the bluing from the factory. Shoots nice groups and handles nicer than the Springfield. It's all what you want/like to carry. Every person is different. I think the Glock is an excellent weapon. Not fond of Barettas personally.

What you prefer is the most important not what the fellas at the range like....I really never understood the Glock hype it is the Honda Civic of guns, sure it works and is easy to take apart but so are a good number of other weapons.
The 1911 design has survived 102 years now it is not going anywhere parts are just as easy to locate. They are really very different guns. My Colt Government is my go to gun for the bumps in the night, no need for rails, lasers, lights or gizmos that telegraph your location. And I'm pretty confident I can stop whoever from 15 ft away in the dark with it. The stopping power (45 ACP 230 gr HP) is second to none.
For my "plastic" guns I prefer the H&k P30 9mm and it is ergonomically perfect has adjustable grip sides and back straps to tailor to almost any sized hand. It is a superior work of craftsmanship and development in every way, it operates flawlessly and comes in a good variety of configurations. Sure it costs more but it isn't a Honda, its a Mercedes.

Glock 19 here. I love the 1911 style guns, but in the city I never leave home without my gun and a Glock is just much easier to carry for me. Fast, compact and lightweight not to mention reliable. I want to get the new GLOCK 42 .380 that just came out for my boot it's a sweet little piece.

I will say that Glock is a great combat weapon. I have used quite a few and all worked well but not as precise as I would have liked. But for a weapon that you can shoot in about any condition or anything on it, the Glock performs well.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I love my springfield 1911, unsure exactly what version, I know it has a speed trigger, polished ramp, its stainless/black. Told by springfield per serial # that it's a "Loaded". It shoots great, only really use it as a target pistol, also have a sig p238, a p229 equinox recently purchased, not enough range time yet but it's nice, night sights, hated the grips tho, changed them to a hogue, both sig's 40, can swap to .357 sig. S&W sw99 (walther/smith puzzle of sorts), was first .40 pistol, it shoots well, no issues with about 700 rds, had it about 8-10 years or so. Walther P22, great gun, stovepipes when dirty, after a good cleaning shoots great, would guess about 1000 rds through it, just a fun gun. Carry a S&W BG.380, has about 500 rounds through it without any fail to feed, nor any fail to fire issues EVER, feel more comfortable carrying it than any of my other pistols for that reason. Have a few others.

I love the 1911 at the range, but heavy to carry, have a shoulder rig and it's do-able, but it has had a fail to feed when using black talon defense rounds once.
The sig p229 equinox I had planned on using as a carry piece after I get enough range time to be comfortable, nice feel, just needs more range time.

Can't really compare a full steel piece to a polymer lower pistol personally, they are both in different classes.
Had an XD .45, didn't care for that gun at all, sold it within a week to a buddy.

As for those that have had a ftf with the bg.380, I have shot everything from white box winchester to pmc, fiocci, herters even, whatever was on sale the cheapest at the range that smoked a lot and left red powder all over even and never had any issues at all. Did get a lazer warrantied once tho.

Generally I always say to carry what you are MOST comfortable with. If you have a 1911 but don't feel comfortable carrying it, then don't. If you have a Glock and are comfortable carrying it, then carry it. If all you do is go to the range and drive tacks, then shoot everything you have and have fun while doing it.