17"wheel question

pat brown

i have an 86 t.i have a brand new set of dunlop sport 245/45 zr 17's.will they fit on my car,or are they too wide?if they fit,does anybody know of a nice wheel to put them on?i really like the look of the gta wheels,but they're only 16's.i also have these tires sitting on nice white 95 mustang gt wheels(my last car)that i don't want to go to waste.right now the car is sitting on stock suspention.any help would be appreciated.

245s should fit. The GNX had 245s on the front, and 255s on the back, although the were 16s, not 17s, but the width should be about the same. I've had 245s on the back of mine, in 15" size, and they fit fine. Others run much bigger on the back. There may be some rubbing on the front, depending on what wheels you get.

I have 245/45/17 on 8" Cragar S/S rims. I like the look of the new tech 17" with the old school look of the S/S. The design is a classic plus the chrome really shines on an all black car. If you like polished, the ARE Torq-thrust II is pretty nice looking and along the same classic lines. Both are reasonably priced ($200-$250 ea.) and should not be a problem to get at your local wheel shop. I did have some tire scrub in the rear but a new set of springs cured that so it was not a fitment problem. I do have just a little tire scrub in front at steering lock but again it may just be my car. The only thing I don't like is the S/S's are steel so they are heavy compared to aluminum.

245 up front with the right backspacing works perfect and looks great, in the back i would get something a little wider depending on how wide of a wheel you go with. you can squeeze a 17x10 back there with some careful backspacing measurements ;)