17" GTA / GNX Wheels

Ram Air TTA

Just thought I would check to see what your intrest would be for these wheels. I am working with a company to try to make this happen. We are trying to get them made in both the Camaro / Firebird offsets and the "REAL GNX" offsets. If this were going to happen most likely deposits would be needed. NOT YET!! Wheel companys want a rather large down payment in order to do something like this, plus these wheels are not the simplist wheels to reproduce. So chime on in. I'll keep you all posted when I get more info....

I would possibly be interested once I got an idea on the pricing. There was a company that used to make these in the 17" size back in the early 1990s. I think it was HRE or Enkei? There was a guy in HotRod or CarCraft with a GNX who had them on his car. I have the article somewhere. I called the company but they said they no longer make them, at the time I called they said they had enough materials to make one more set in the 16" size. It did not interest me at the time because Classic Industries was still making them back then. Given the unavailability now it was probably worth buying. Keep us posted on the information as it becomes available. Thanks.

I'd suggest that price will govern the replies to this thread. Maybe the Company can tell you if they make 100 wheels then $XXX is the price per for example. I like to say what I mean and mean what I say so I won't give you an unconditional 'Yes' I will take a set w/o knowing what kind of $$$ I'm getting into. What kind of response have you had on the Camaro & Firebird sites? Sounds like a great idea overall, it all just comes down to the mighty greenback man.:)
Jim

The company still makes the rim in 17" and 18" Made in JAPAN for all you import haters. The company is SSR

Originally posted by automorph
The company still makes the rim in 17" and 18" Made in JAPAN for all you import haters. The company is SSR

A true import hater here :cool: Do you have any contact info available for SSR, be it a web site, phone number, retailer, manufacturer contact etc...
Thanks,
Jim

Keep in mind, the selection of good tires for the GNX wheel (16 inch) is far less then the standard 15 inch. If you go to 17 or 18, the next concern I would have is, who makes slicks or even drag radials for those wheels ????

:confused:

Originally posted by jdodman
Keep in mind, the selection of good tires for the GNX wheel (16 inch) is far less then the standard 15 inch. If you go to 17 or 18, the next concern I would have is, who makes slicks or even drag radials for those wheels ????

:confused:
BFG, Nitto

Originally posted by 77tech9
I like the wheels, but they are not the "GNX" style at all. If your going to spend that much on wheels why not get the right ones?

Black mesh centers with a polished lip. Pretty close to me.
BTW, if you get them powdercoated from CCW, the screws around the edge are black, not silver. The supra owner had them painted himself.

I'm in,,,if they are priced fairly..on par with other custom wheels.
I recently bought Corbra "R" replica wheels for my Mustang GT..about 2OO a piece...but these are all chome..and 17inchs..

the ccw wheels are extremely nice but they are a "high end" rim and about 1800 per set.

hard to find a nicer rim for the price.

I would be interested if I could get 4 GNX style rims for 800 or less.

I put some centerline warriors on for now, but they just don't cut it. I have a "white gnx"

I would definately be interested ...depending how they look and the price. Especially if they have GNX offset..they look much deeper. Let me know

Joe

I always see BBS/GNX/Trans Am GTA styles wheels in sizes up to 17". If we could get them in 18x9 I would buy them.

Fikse all the way

Check out the Fikse FM/5 and FM/10. You can order them with a black center and polished rim. I'm gonna end up going with the FM/5's. What is a good rear wheel width?

Re: Fikse all the way

Originally posted by Sick6
Check out the Fikse FM/5 and FM/10. You can order them with a black center and polished rim. I'm gonna end up going with the FM/5's. What is a good rear wheel width?

How 'bout a link to some pics?
Thanks,
Jim

I bet the prices would be much better, if we all went through the same company. It seems like a lot of these wheel makers listed above taylor to custom specifications which certainly drives there prices higher. If they were going to make a bunch of wheels to a certain spec, then I would definitely think we could get a good price break. I would be interested if you could get some estimates on prices. I am sure a company would be willing to negotiate on the price a bit if you could tell them you have a large number of orders.

Maybe go through Enkei as they made the original GTA wheel in 87. Maybe made the GNX wheel also? After 87, the GTA wheels were made by another manufacturer. Easy to tell a 87 wheel as they don't have dimples near the polished lip.

Or maybe try the company that makes replica IROC wheels in 17-20" sizes.