17" GTA / GNX Wheels

There are definately more street tire selctions in 17" than 16". I would be in on a set for a reasonable price in respect to the quality of the wheel.

Previously posted by:
"1987 GN"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would possibly be interested once I got an idea on the pricing. There was a company that used to make these in the 17" size back in the early 1990s. I think it was HRE or Enkei? There was a guy in HotRod or CarCraft with a GNX who had them on his car. I have the article somewhere. I called the company but they said they no longer make them, at the time I called they said they had enough materials to make one more set in the 16" size. It did not interest me at the time because Classic Industries was still making them back then. Given the unavailability now it was probably worth buying. Keep us posted on the information as it becomes available. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW & IMHO:
HRE & Enkei both made GNX style rims in the late '80's-early '90's.
The HRE'S were model no 940's, I believe. I purchased a '87 white Turbo-T in about '96 of so that had a set of the HRE 17's on them. They were at least a 3 piece rim of unquestionable quality for fit & finish. I do not know what they cost, but I know that they were pricey, even back then. I talked to HRE regarding these rims about 5 months ago, and they did not have anything left, at all. Nor did they have any desire to re-tool up. I think that the major problem would be finding a manufacturer to cast the centers. The centers on all of those GNX style rims that I have seen up close were cast, and I think that most of the wheel designers & manufacturers relied upon a casting house to make the centers. I would be interested, just as everybody else would be. depending upon price and quality. Keep in mind, though, that if we find a mfgr to make up, let's say, 100 sets, as I don't see any mfgr tooling up for less than that, everybody and their brother that is buying new rims will be buying those same rims. We are not the only people who like those rims. Would you like to show at a car gathering and see 3 or 4 other sets of those same rims as those on your car?