1600 miles.....out it comes again

cougarcat

Hey guys I've just rolled over 1600 miles on the fresh rebuild---by a reputable TR builder here in Atlanta and the "noise" that I have been dismissing as a typical TR "they all make some kind of noise" has gotten worse. Turns out #2 and #3 mains are down to the copper. #1 and #4 are fine. Rods seem fine. Oil pressure was approx. 60 at cold start and 21-25 hot idle, and 37-40 cruise. It just made some racket at idle. Nothing on the knock gauge or anything audible while cruising.
What could have caused this??? Crap-----I'm glad I love these cars so much..........

IMO it sounds like something wasn't tolerance on those two bearings.
Another possibility is something got between the bearing & crank.
No matter what it *!*&%$.
Look at it this way, you beat me. I have to pull mine with 650 miles after rebuild due to blowing HGs.

Gary :(

Any more ideas out there? Now I've got to decide between steel caps at 1,2,&3 or a girdle or both? Opinions? I'd like to end up deep in the 11's.

I decided to go with the girdle, I guess if you have the extra cash you could do both.....

:cool:

I feel for you . I'm on my 3rd rebuild in less then 600km (not a misprint) . I am having the same problems as you . Last time it was pulled we found a spun #3 connecting rod bearing and a little thrust bearing wear . I think problems like this are caused by not taking the time to assemble these engines right, double checking all clearances and specs . This time around I'll be there when it goes back together . And I'll make sure everything is right on .

Hope it was not your engine builder that says they all make some kinda noise. That is a crock.

Could have had some trash left in it, or the rods could not have been resized correctly, etc. Maybe the crank was not turned correctly.

You gonna have to tear it apart and check everything.

Ya know, I've built numerous LC2's for myself and my father over the years. It never ceases to amaze me that even using the "best" parts available, the rebuild never seems to hold up like a virgin LC2???
There is something to be said about the OE parts they used, and the steps they used to assemble the motors. No matter what extreemes I go to to seal the heads, they NEVER seal like a factory assembly! I know they used a special machine that torqued the headbolts at the same time and at the same lb/ft, this I'm certain is the secret as to why some folks with motors that have factory headgaskets stay alive so long. Short of stage II heads with the extra headbolts, nothing seals them like that factory machine. My dad's last motor lasted only 318 miles before we were pulling it to do yet another re-build due to a broken crank. My last motor I went all out with the block girdle and all the best parts I could afford, and it is the only one that has held up! Good luck to ya and don't cut courners or go cheap on any motor parts/machine work...it will haunt you later. JMO

Too many things can happen on the rebuilds. It seems even the reputable rebuilders have trouble. Did you replace all oil coolers, radiator etc ?. Word is, you must replace the coolers, as they can't be just flushed. All debris will not come out. It waits for a new engine to tear up.