15x8 with 4.5 backspace and a 15x 10.5 slick???

jamier

I just pick up the above wheel and tire combo and noticed the tire is rubbing against the frame. Now before I go notching the car as anyone been able to run this size wheel and tire using spacers and longer studs or a bolt on spacer? If so what size? I'm figuring a 1 inch should help clear the framebut then slicks also squat so I'm looking for ideas.. Let me know thanks all...

I tried a 15x8 Draglite with 4.5 backspace and MT 26x10.5x15 on my car tonight and it would not fit. In the air it barely cleared the inner frame but when I sat the car down the rear part of the frame sat on the inner part of the slick. Weld (American Racing now) does not advocate using spacers of any kind. My car also sits about 2" lower than stock. I will have to run a 4" back space and 26x8.5x15 slicks with my set up. I don't think 10.5 wide slicks would work on a 4" bs either for me. If I tried 3.5" I think it would push the tire out too far and hit the fender. I had plenty of fender clearance with the 4.5. With stock height srpings it would have still been questionable for me. A lot of guys say they run this set up but I don't see how. Good luck.

Too much backspacing for that wide of a tire. And I don't understand why people keep cramming wide tires on narrow rims, that's what causes the tire to bow out and rub even easier. Tires and rims come in various sizes for a reason, there's no excuse not to match them properly. Either keep those tires and get wider rims for them, or keep the 8" rims and get narrower tires.

You could try running a spacer but that's not a true solution to the problem, plus Breiter mentions above that the manufacturer doesn't recommend using spacers.

I don't understand why people keep cramming wide tires on narrow rims, that's what causes the tire to bow out and rub even easier.

Another analogy would be packing too much sausage sporting skimpy speedos. That what causes the sausage to bow out and rub even easier. :eek:

Pacecarta - that video is sickening. One of my fears but I would rather loose it on the line than further down the track. C-clips already are a weak link so I will be sure not to add spacers.

I agree with Turbo6Chicago about stuffing too little wheel into too much tire. M/T told me yesterday not only don't use spacers but they strongly recommend only plus or minus 1 inch wheel size based on the tire fitment chart on their web page. Even though a lot of guys run 10.5 wide slicks I am going with 26x8.5x15 on a 15x8 wheel with 4 inch b/s. Additionally, M/T will only warranty wheels using McGard lug nuts, which are also NHRA sanctioned.

Hey Turbo6Chicago - what is the b/s for your fronts and backs? What kind and size tires do you run? Are you using stock height springs front and back? I think I could have got M/T 26x8.5x15 slicks to fit on the 4.5 b/s wheel but it still would have been too close for me. I have BFG 255x50x16 drag radials on GTA wheels on the back now. Both the GTA wheel and the Draglite have the same 4.5" b/s but the fat 26x10.5 hanging over the sides proved too much. Maybe a 15x9 wheel would have worked but I am betting I can hook with an 8.5 wide slick. thanks

I've run 28x10.5 MT's on 15x8 telstar's w/4" backspacing. They would not fit without major rubbing until I notched the frame. My body/frame is off center by ~.5".

Im looking to get 15x8 w/4" BS rears; 15x7 3.5" BS front with 255/60/15 rear; 235/60/15 front. I've heard some rub, some not. Hopefully NOT!! I read on a thread 1/2 the width for back space. What do you think??

silver/black - I think you can run 15x8 with 4 bs on the front also with no problems. I can run my "front" GTA wheels on the front (4 1/4 bs) with 245/50/16 tires without any rub and my car is lowered 2". This way you can run the same size wheel all the way around. Your choice though.