15X10 Wheels backspacing.

texasterror

Ok so I've been reading through the different threads regarding backspacing. I need to purchase two rear wheels and I know that I want 15X10 wheels. My fenders are rolled in the back and I'm trying to decide between a 4.5" and 5" backspace. From what I gather, the 4.5 will work without rubbing but I was hoping to eventually have lower the car and have the rear tires slightly tucked in the wheel well but I think with a 4.5" backspacing, I'm guessing that the tire will extend out past the wheel well slightly? I think I can do this with a 5" backspace but I'm worried about the some form of contact with the frame. Some people are saying they are able to use a 5" backspace with no modifications and some are saying they have to notch their frame and or roll their fenders. If anyone has any picks of a 15X10 with both backspacing that would pretty cool. Oh and Happy new year.

Ok so I've been reading through the different threads regarding backspacing. I need to purchase two rear wheels and I know that I want 15X10 wheels. My fenders are rolled in the back and I'm trying to decide between a 4.5" and 5" backspace. From what I gather, the 4.5 will work without rubbing but I was hoping to eventually have lower the car and have the rear tires slightly tucked in the wheel well but I think with a 4.5" backspacing, I'm guessing that the tire will extend out past the wheel well slightly? I think I can do this with a 5" backspace but I'm worried about the some form of contact with the frame. Some people are saying they are able to use a 5" backspace with no modifications and some are saying they have to notch their frame and or roll their fenders. If anyone has any picks of a 15X10 with both backspacing that would pretty cool. Oh and Happy new year.

I had the wheels from Gbodyparts 15x10 aluminum and I believe it has a 4.5 back spacing. It fits great. The fenders had to be trimmed very little and fits inside the wheel well.

I had the wheels from Gbodyparts 15x10 aluminum and I believe it has a 4.5 back spacing. It fits great. The fenders had to be trimmed very little and fits inside the wheel well.
Yes you are correct they are 4.5 backspacing. So you have the 15X10 with a 4.5 backspace and if you lowered your car a tad bit it would fit no problems (especially since my fenders are rolled).

heres 295's 28" tall with the gbody 10" gtas 4.5 BS, stock frame rolled lips
has ridetech coilover to adjust ride height still rubbed a little , went to 275 M+H's 28"
tall

i run weld alumastars 10" 5bs on my 86 which is notched , they dont wont work on a stock frame with 28 tall tires , if you run a narrower or lower tire the 5BS could work but any bulge past rim will cause frame rub unless you run a spacer

IMG_5121.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you are correct they are 4.5 backspacing. So you have the 15X10 with a 4.5 backspace and if you lowered your car a tad bit it would fit no problems (especially since my fenders are rolled).

With 275 it will tuck right in. After it got trimmed there is plenty of room.

I had the same questions on another thread. I'm still not 100% sure if a 275 60 on a 15x10 with 4.5 Backspacing will tuck the tire on a lowered car without issue. I'm ordering wheels tomorrow and I'm leaning on a 15x8 so I can tuck the 275 nice and deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran 15x8.5s with a 5" backspace and the car lowered for a while. I had a frame notch though. The fender lip on my car is cut off, giving even more clearance than just being rolled. I was running 275/60/15s with the outer lip at only 26.5", so it was tucked in pretty good. The inner fender wells had to be hammered in with the car being that low. Even without a notch, maybe going 5" backspace and then using a 1/4" spacer to bring it back out a little might let you tuck it in. I'm now running 15x9.25s with a 5.5" backspace and 275s. The frame notch gives you a lot of options for tucking the tire in. The 9" width is plenty for a good footprint, low 1.3 60fts on 275 Mickeys.

Here's a thread with some pics of that setup:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...g-5658s-howe-ball-joints.329039/#post-2592875

Here's a pic from the track:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/attachments/white_t_etown2_2-jpg.116127/