110/130 ashless avgas at 14psi

delcowizzid

newzealand turbo 3.8
didnt know where to post this thread so its here probably the best place.
just went tuning our LN3 1989 buick turbo v6 drag/street/death car LOL as seen in the latter pages of my new guy from NZ thread.now today we ran it on pure avgas or pretty close to it give or take what slops were left in the tank of 95 octane.was at 14psi and quite rich for us 10.5-10.8 at 14psi normally run at 11.8-12 on pump fuel attached are some pics of the exhaust valves and turbine whats everyones take on this just lead and no soot from being ashless avgas or you think its lean even at 10.5:1 on the wideband ive never seen any of my wideband sensors come out so soot free looked like the pics of the wheel or even just metaly colour .was making serious torque enough to twist a borg warner BW78 diff enough to loose oil all over the exhaust and stink us out and strip the teeth off 3rd gear in a worldclass T5 doing a power run on the track/street :tongue:
if anyone who runs a leaded race gas or anything that may be of a similar nature and has an opinion please give me your thoughts off to the drags this coming weekend feels like its got a 10 in it now :cool: allready fitted another T5 and new diff housing ready to setup
pics below
cheers guys MIKE

IMGP4841.jpg

IMGP4839.jpg

IMGP4838.jpg

IMGP4837.jpg

Stateside, we can't get 110/130 AV gas here. You "can", but only by the tanker truck load. Even 115/145 is not available unless you buy a tanker. We use to run it in the Unlimited Hydro-planes with an octane booster. We were running 130in/hg. boost (approx 60 psi) And the engine was designed to run on it. (WWII Rolls-Royce Griffon, 2,240cid) It worked fine. If you can access 110/130, it should work good. VP C-16 would be a better choice. AV gas has additives for high altitude flights. Probably not the best fuel for a turbocharged race car. BUT.....it should work well at 22 psi boost or less with a good intercooler and maybe a shot of methanol. We would consume 60 gallons of 115/145 fuel, 20+gallons of 50/50 water/methanol, and 150lbs. of N2O (nitrous oxide) in about 4 minutes. So a tanker load of fuel was needed for a weekend of racing.;)

YouTube - Griffon Miss Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane

YouTube - 1980 U-1

Your photos look good. Lead deposits, and completely normal. Keep leaning on it. Good luck.

cheers mate much appreciate the reply boat looks fun if you can call it a boat more a plane with no wings LOL

AV gas is made to be run at high altitude where there is less oxygen. Also airplane engines are ran at a constant rpm.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Yeah and were do yout think a plane makes its most and needs it most Hp?????

Maybe...just maybe....THE GROUND!!!!

I have run 100LL for over 10 years in many different engines.
My Buick sand rail now runs over 20psi with straight AvGas and 24 degrees of timing.....0 knock and 0 issues.

The stuff works absolutely awesome.

I had a tech guy at the track ask me what fuel I was running beacuse they said it was very close to VP108 but a hell of alot cleaner and they couldnt tell what it was.