11.96 on pump gas, what about race gas?

Mike70gtx

this was my first good run at the track after rebuild. 1.892 60'; 7.736 @92.42; 11.96 @115.6; My boost might have been 20-21#'s, I was too busy watching for retard. I didn't leave with much or no boost. Trans + was set at 23/21 timing for alky. What do you think my potential is with race gas, more timing and boost? I know there is a lot of variables, but I really want into the 10's. And I just wanted to post the fact that I hit one goal of getting in the 11's on pump and really have more room to tune, since I'm some what of a rookie at this.

Did you run pump gas only, no alky? Very nice! Race gas, more boost and timing should get 10's pretty easily.

With a good 60 foot that car will diffently do 11.70s mybe even 11.60s the way it is. Plus I think you can turn up the boost some more with the alky.....20-21 is nothing for a 67

Mike70gtx said:
this was my first good run at the track after rebuild. 1.892 60'; 7.736 @92.42; 11.96 @115.6; My boost might have been 20-21#'s, I was too busy watching for retard. I didn't leave with much or no boost. Trans + was set at 23/21 timing for alky. What do you think my potential is with race gas, more timing and boost? I know there is a lot of variables, but I really want into the 10's. And I just wanted to post the fact that I hit one goal of getting in the 11's on pump and really have more room to tune, since I'm some what of a rookie at this.

DAMN! :eek: You are my hero! That is the exact goal that I have set for myself. I want to run 11s in the mid 1-teens on straight 93 Octane. I think I can get close, but the intercooler & 19/17 Extender might hold me back.

With Race Gas, you should go alot faster once you up the boost. You are also running a bigger turbo than myself, so It's going to be more of a struggle for me. Awesome times though!

Alky (dual jet) was kicking on at about 12 #'s. I checked my boost on the way to church (don't want to be late) and it looks like I'm closer to 24#'s of boost.

11.96 is a long way away from 10.x.......

to run 10's you'll need 60' in the 1.5 range and speeds around 122

sooooo, trans brake launch on slicks, race gas, and 30 lbs of boost (with 26* of timing) or so should do it....you'll start to run out of fuel at those speeds, so put a double pumper on your shopping list

good luck and get to work on those 60' times!

Mike70gtx said:
Alky (dual jet) was kicking on at about 12 #'s. I checked my boost on the way to church (don't want to be late) and it looks like I'm closer to 24#'s of boost.

I thought you ran on straight pump gas no alky :confused: Running pump gas and alky is worlds apart from running on just straight pump gas. I retract my earlier statement. 11.96 on pump gas and alky is good though, it'd be more impressive though if it were on straight pump gas like the original post implied. I ran 11.78 on pump gas and alcohol in my old set up in my sig 3 years ago except I was running a pt52 instead of the pt61. Race gas, mega boost and timing it could be close but you'd have to lean on it awfully hard.

I think he is running a PT67 which is rated for a good bit more than a PT61. I would have thought that car would be easy 10s with a PT67 since they are rated for almost 800 hp(I believe 795).

the so called "HP" ratings on turbos are BS....there is no PT67 that will make 800HP on a 3.8 litre motor......maybe on a 600 cu in V8, but I even sorta doubt that

that size turbo is good for high 10's on a normal weight TR.....if everything else is up to the task......

(BTW, there is no such thing as "easy 10's........)

Sorry about the confusion.Is the alky allowed at a pump gas nationals race? I was just excited that I didn't put the expensive race gas in. I really have been trying to decide if I need to do the double pumper. But if I could just run consistant mid or high 11's and no roll bar and fewer breakdowns, maybe I should just be happy. This is my daily driver. I know the 10s are still a little ways off, but this was one of my other goals when I built this.

take Red Regal T's advice....shoot for mid 11's and stay there...particularly if it is your only car.......you'll have plenty of downtime at that power level

azgn said:
the so called "HP" ratings on turbos are BS....there is no PT67 that will make 800HP on a 3.8 litre motor......maybe on a 600 cu in V8, but I even sorta doubt that

that size turbo is good for high 10's on a normal weight TR.....if everything else is up to the task......

I don't believe cubes is the biggest factor. Hell, how is it an EVO can make 600+ whp with 2.0 & 2.3 liters(aftermarket) with a GT-35R which are the same wheels in the PT61? That may not be 800 hp, but that's over 700 at the engine with a 1/3 less cubes. I have far too many dyno pulls on my computer from these 4 cylinders making ridiculous power with similar size turbos and 1/3 less cubes. I believe it's more breathing related.

azgn said:

Pete Retzko aka "Fat Bubba" has been 10.50's @129mph with the PT67GTQ (ported shroud version)... He ran TSM at BG and I'm sure his car is actually on the heavy side for the class (3600-3700lbs w/ him in it)... Now mid 10's with a PT67 Ptrim turbo would probably be a bit harder especially if you keep the boost at sane levels, but I would think a mid 10 could probably be had with around 125-126mph provided the car is 60'ing in the 1.4x range... Matter of fact I think Jbanning has already done this??

that sure as hell isn't 800 hp........there is always an example of something that is difficult to do....that doesn't make it doable by everyone.....A GTQ is gonna make a bunch more power than a P trim

azgn said:
that sure as hell isn't 800 hp........there is always an example of something that is difficult to do....that doesn't make it doable by everyone.....A GTQ is gonna make a bunch more power than a P trim

Didn't say it was 800hp, but mid 10's are certainly doable with the turbo (not by everyone just the ones that got the right combination/tune)...

The GTQ should make a bunch more power than a Ptrim, but it seems like in some cases it doesn't for whatever reason (Norbs is a prime example of this)... I seem to recall a guy down here that found that his car slowed down a bit with the 67GTQ PS turbo from going from an old 63Ptrim turbo??

My 61 had a P trim wheel which is a bit different than the one offered now, not that it matters but just for the record anyway. My thing is regardless of what turbo he's running is the original post said pump gas no mention of alcohol. 11.96 on pump gas only is impressive, most impressive. 11.96 on pump gas and alcohol is very good, but isn't breaking new ground. And I'm not trying to take anything away from the time Mike ran at all, it's a great time so please don't take it as such but the original post implies that it was pump gas and that's it. Mike thank you for correcting the confusion.

FWIW, it takes a bad ass car to get into the 10's. I don't want to step on any toes, but there's an awful lot of times in the sig's around here and the other bb's that doesn't come close to matching the combos listed....

Mike70gtx said:
Sorry about the confusion.Is the alky allowed at a pump gas nationals race?...

No alky is allowed at the pumpgas drags, rules state "Injection into the engine of any substance other than Rockett Brand-spec gasoline, water, and nitrous oxide is not allowed. Alcohol injection is not allowed."

I've been thinking about sending in my application for next years, not that I'm very fast but I figure 11.20@120 on pumpgas(no alky)in my 3640lbs raceweight GTA isnt bad

BTW, congrats on 11's (y)

Steve

Wait wasent there a car that went 11.09(or something REAL close to that) on just pump :confused: might have been a silver car if I remeber right

TTA850 said:
No alky is allowed at the pumpgas drags, rules state "Injection into the engine of any substance other than Rockett Brand-spec gasoline, water, and nitrous oxide is not allowed.
So it looks like you can inject water, which will do pretty well compared to nothing at all.