109, 3.8 stroked, or 4.1????

I'm about to pick up a block, and I'm wondering what I should go with. I really just want something really torquey, that can run mid to low 11's. I was also wondering what would happen if I were to run 8.75 instead of standard compression pistons. What's working for you now, and what do you recommend. All help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Over the years with turbo Buicks, the best "bang-for-the-buck" I have found is built a 4.1 with good flowing heads. :smile:

My personal favorite [which is still running around in CA] was a 4.1 with alum heads and a TE-45A. Low end and mid-range torque was awesome, lots of fun on the street. On the strip, an easy high 10 sec. beast. This was a VERY low cost engine, block was $50, had a standard stock crank and got a good deal on the heads.

Recently put a 4.1 in a local street GN that trashed his 109 block. Used his ported iron heads, a V-4 intercooler, and this was a torque monster on the street! :eek:

Good tires were a MUST as first and second gear shifts would lite them up at half throttle.

You need turbo pistons in a 4.1, not the inadaquate hyper crap. The 8.75 CR is where I would go with it as well. Special pistons not required for thar CR if your engine builder knows how to properly build, and set up the block and heads.:smile:

This will give you more low and mid-range torque than a stroker kit with lot less $$$$.:cool:

P.S. My alum engine is a 4.1 using a stock stroke forged crank, and has run 9.60 @145 MPH!:biggrin:

.... So if you were to stroke your motor you need a longer rod in which the rod is positioned higher up into the piston. .....

Brent, sorry but longer rods are not needed, as the pistons are different in a stroker!:confused:

You change stroke with the crank rod throw.:smile:

The stock 4.1 Buick increases displacement by increasing bore only, 3.8 block cannot be bored to use that large a diameter piston.

Brent, sorry but longer rods are not needed, as the pistons are different in a stroker!:confused:

You change stroke with the crank rod throw.:smile:

The stock 4.1 Buick increases displacement by increasing bore only, 3.8 block cannot be bored to use that large a diameter piston.

Oop's :(

Thanks Nick ;)

Over the years with turbo Buicks, the best "bang-for-the-buck" I have found is built a 4.1 with good flowing heads. :smile:

My personal favorite [which is still running around in CA] was a 4.1 with alum heads and a TE-45A. Low end and mid-range torque was awesome, lots of fun on the street. On the strip, an easy high 10 sec. beast. This was a VERY low cost engine, block was $50, had a standard stock crank and got a good deal on the heads.

Recently put a 4.1 in a local street GN that trashed his 109 block. Used his ported iron heads, a V-4 intercooler, and this was a torque monster on the street! :eek:

Good tires were a MUST as first and second gear shifts would lite them up at half throttle.

You need turbo pistons in a 4.1, not the inadaquate hyper crap. The 8.75 CR is where I would go with it as well. Special pistons not required for thar CR if your engine builder knows how to properly build, and set up the block and heads.:smile:

This will give you more low and mid-range torque than a stroker kit with lot less $$$$.:cool:

P.S. My alum engine is a 4.1 using a stock stroke forged crank, and has run 9.60 @145 MPH!:biggrin:

The first time i layed boost to my 4.1 i blew my trans. It was already acting a little funny. I guess i murdered it now.

Nick, any tips on how to reinforce a 4.1? Also, what type of pistons do you recommend using? And JamericaniSS, how has your 4.1 been holding up?

Would that car still running around in CA be Raymond Bunsch's 579hp T?

Nick, any tips on how to reinforce a 4.1? Also, what type of pistons do you recommend using? And JamericaniSS, how has your 4.1 been holding up?

Thats a big no. Its the same T i've always had. Well the motor has just under 1000 miles, but like i said i laid boost and laid the tranny to rest.

Nick- do you sell any pistons for 4.1 stroker motor using the 3.625 cat crank and 6.00 K1 rods? if so how much and what rings would go good with them? Looking at a 4.005" bore so a 4.00" piston i guess would be the choice.

This question would be for Nick, I'm wondering if that 4.1 he built that he mentioned is still in CA.....if this car is that light blue Ttype that put out 579hp at one of the dyno events. ?

I run a 4.1 block. Stock stroke with a .0055 over je piston. Stock rods made full floating. 8.9 to one comp. and gn1r heads. LOVE the torque of this on the streets. Pistons are about 650. with rings and rods cost me 125 to bush. And you can put a 84/85 3.8 girdle on these blocks like I did. Till I ride in a stroked 3.8 I will never think of running anything else. And I tell everyone its a 3.8. Can't tell.

Did you do any other prep to the block to prevent the coolant passages in the deck from crackling?

Well no. Because it was already cracked when I bought it. As well as my old 4.1. Never had an issue with the crack on the first block and got a deal for the second cause of the crack. Still no issues. Gone high tens of pump gas.

Pump gas. I have never put race gas in it because I have no cage. I think high tens on 93 is getting it done.