1000hp what trans to use

tyroneveee6

im buildin a 87 gn for about 1k hp, maby 1000 miles a year of street driving.full weight car. 200r4 or 400 turbo? tips needed thanks

Neither use 4l80E with a manual transbrake valvebody.

I would do 400. I don't think there are a lot of good converter choices for 4L80E but maybe Dusty can correct me. Besides, with 1000 HP you won't need much gear and probably won't miss the OD with only 1000 miles per year.

Allan G.

T-400. IMO converter choices stink for the 4l80E when used behind a turbo engine. The converters are big and heavy. If someone goes this route you really have to have a well thought out combo with the smallest turbo you can get away with to help it spool. I've been there and done this already with a Stage 2 76mm combo. Get the converter to spool and it blows through it up top. Get it to couple and the car is a pig out of the hole. It's fine for a driver but for anything performance oriented I would use the T-400 every day of the week.

FWIW. The 4l80E works better on larger ci engines where spool-up isn't an issue or with supercharged engines with tons of low end torque.

Even if I was going to drive it daily I would use a T-400 with a 3.23 gear.

Hey Dusty, is it possible to design a new convertor like a 9/11 or ?. Or is it just not feasable given the design of the 4l80?

Hey Dusty, is it possible to design a new convertor like a 9/11 or ?. Or is it just not feasable given the design of the 4l80?

You still can't get the stall out of a 9x11 that you need. Most guys with the 4l80E want to retain lock-up. If one was willing to ditch the lock-up I think I can get something more suitable but I have yet to have anyone call me who is willing to run the 80e without lock-up.

I'm just a simple guy I guess. I'd rather run the older turbo trans with a more street friendly rear gear for something with performance in mind.

I have a customer with a 4l80e behind a procharged LS engine. It makes 1000-1100hp and is a blast. The V6 is a different animal.

Nitrous is always an option to help spool up. If the person has no issue with running the extra system to get the car up on boost then it takes the converter and turbo size out of the equation.

Speaking from real word experience and running the same HP level as the OP, TH400 is the best way to go. Based on what Dusty can provide for a converter and the gearing/tire size required, drivability will still be very good, even on the highway.

Allan G.

Is it possible to have a TH400 where you can drive it like a normal car, have it shift itself, but also take it to the track and launch on the brake and manually shift it? Most I've seen talk about is a full manual valve body. Why is that? And whats with the reverse manual valve body?

Regards,
Shev

I love my Th400. Don't miss the overdrive at all. The full manual is the best part. I have a very basic TH400 and it is holding around 1000hp no problem.

Is it possible to have a TH400 where you can drive it like a normal car, have it shift itself, but also take it to the track and launch on the brake and manually shift it? Most I've seen talk about is a full manual valve body. Why is that? And whats with the reverse manual valve body?

Regards,
Shev

I think I remember QuickT or Chris718 talking about a Auto/Manual VB w/Brake.
Forward Man. VB = P-R-N-3-2-1
Reverse Man. VB = P-R-N-1-2-3
Also Rev. Man. VB = P-R-1-2-3-N shift pattern.
With high G-force the Rev. Man. VB is easier to shift pulling back instead of pushing the shift lever forward.

If you wanna drive around the roads or decide to do powertour or any kind of trips you will be wise to do the 4l80e I just worked on a 73 TA with a procharged 566 and a 4l80 car makes 1,200 wheel and you can drive it anywhere in fact it was a gret experience working on it over the top but Not. pretty cool.

Regards,
Shev

Yes. I make a TH400 auto/manual VB with transbrake.
Works like a typical auto VB with manual downshift control and has transbrake function.

We have had very good luck building 4L80Es and retaining lockup using converters from a couple of different suppliers. Even on some smaller combo using turbos.

We have had very good luck building 4L80Es and retaining lockup using converters from a couple of different suppliers. Even on some smaller combo using turbos.

Thanks for the reply. I hear good things about your products.

Here's my issue with using a 80e behind the V6. First of all no one considers using this transmission unless they are making more hp than the 200r can reliably support. This means they are using a pretty large turbo that isn't easily spooled by a small motor unless they want to turn it over 7000 rpm. Most who choose the 80e also intend to keep revs down under 6500. A V6 that makes low 9 to high 8 second power and turns under 6500 rpm isn't the best spooling combo. Couple that with a very heavy converter that has to be fairly tight to couple that power in that rpm range and you have something that is a snail out of the hole. Get it loose enough to spool so you have some throttle response and now it blows through it in high gear. Building a converter to withstand the power isn't an issue. Building a converter that will drive very well and make the car fun isn't an issue. If the combo is well laid out such as a 274ci engine with a 70mm or smaller turbo on it, things work much better. In my experience with the V6 most 80e apps will run .2-.5 slower than the same combo with a T-400. If the owner doesn't really care how fast it is at the track, it isn't an issue. I just make sure ahead of time the customers who consider the 80e are well aware of all the thought that needs to be put into a combo such as this.