10-15 psi launches

hey Stike I do care about it. thats why I am puting 9 inch slicks instead of 10s on, no cutting or rolling. I agree with you and like to beat the metioned car not drive them.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
High boost launches will shave a few hundreths off, but they are abusive, thrust bearing wear or not.

Better to leave at lower boost and make your HP down the track, if you really care about your car.

If you don't care, you outta be be driving a Camaro.

A few hundreths? Really? Ask anybody who runs some serious times (not 11 or 12 sec cars) what they launch at and they will tell you that 60' is everything. Only way to 60' great is by having traction on high boost launches. I'm pretty sure Jason Cramer didn't get 1.38 60's leaving at 5 or 6psi, Trans-brake or not.

If you really care about your car that much, you shouldn't be racing it, period.

60' time in drag racing is everything!

every .1 you shave off in your 60' times will get you .15 to .2 in the quarter....no way in hell can you make up that much et down the track unless you increase your HP dramatically (you don't have to increase your HP to improve your 60' time....although that helps also)

all the guys that have crappy 60' times and run fast, have mega HP motors (like the street tire Mudstains etc) if they put slicks on and hook it up, they go lots faster!!

Originally posted by buickboy
Only if your convertor balloons big time.
Mitch

I have seen thrust bearing wear/damage with converters having billet front ends, so there is no way it was a ballooning converter.

The trans does however, want to force the converter off the shaft into the motor. Seems like the lock ups are more prone to do this.

On the TH 400 trans there is a mod that restricts oil to the converter to help prevent this from happening.

The 60' is everything! Think about the fact that you spend almost 2/3 of your ET getting to the 1/8-mile and how quick you get to the 1/8-mile is all up to the 60'. Now, I believe there comes a point when launching with more boost is not worth the gain but I have seen several GNs cut low-1.60s on DRs with 6-7psi launches.

Nick,you are right.i convider myself a thrust bearing guru as i have toasted 3 of them in 2 seasons.it is the psi against the thrust that is causing the wear.the 200 doesnt seem to be as much of a problem simply because the pump isnt as good.the thrust surface from my expirience so far sems to be able to handle about 275-325psi bottm line is line pressure X the area of about 1.77 on a 200 = psi against the thrust. I modified my bearing to give better oiling to the thrust surface.also i think you should build it tight ,keep the smamming action down to a minimum.I ws told by chris 718 to keep the clearance between the flex plate and convertor to .065 to push it into the tranny .dont know the proper clearance on a 200 as i run a 400.convertor balooning is getting the blam but i would bet 9 times out of 10 the problem it elseware.so far this year i built mine @ .004 and it is @.006 after about 50 passes

After having seen too many trashed out TRs (twist, crunch, tear), I decided to limit my launch boost to 5 PSI.

Am I going as fast as I would if I launched at 15 PSI? Hell, no. On the other hand, hopefully my car won't be reduced to a POS in a season or two.

To me, the beauty of a TR is that it can be made to go fast with bolt-ons, yet still be perfectly streetable. To me, when you start gutting it and dropping in a stage motor (what does a stage motor have to do with anything that ever came off the Pontiac, MI assembly line?), it might as well be a Camaro or a Mustang. In fact, better if it were - they're faster and disposable.

Whatever floats your boat...

How many of you out there that are doin the 15# launches are doing so with a bone stock 200R4 trans?

HellOnWheels

Somewhat O/T, but (without personal experience) is there any data on using alternate methods of getting the exhaust system pre-heated and spooling up the turbine without loading the brakes?
Like a chip retard to TDC for staging? Plenty of exhaust temp, turbine wheel spinning merrily, but no power until the chip is off...

Re: Re: 10-15 psi launches

Originally posted by TurboDave
Shouldn't, unless the converter is a cheapy. Having an Art Carr converter isn't a guarantee, since he was out of the business for several years and some fly-by-night outfit was/is using his name.

Anyway, my point was, I have the thrust bearing out of my original enigne (130,000) miles and untold high boost launches, and it still shows no visible signs of excess wear on the thrust surfaces.

Art Carr is back in business in Huntington beach CA. under the name of California perf. Transmissions. Sorry but I don't have the address or PH. handy in front of me.