-1 degree F (on intake air) = +1 HP

granatl

TRCM Author
If you've noticed my signature, you'll see that I run one of those A/C chilled intracoolers. I recently had it re-charged with R-12, but apparently put the variable orifice tube in wrong, since it's not cooling the inside of the car, and just "barely" cooling the intracooler; some mechanics are working on that for me right now.

Anyhow, I seem to remember someone saying years ago that for every degree cooler the intake charge is (relative to the output from the turbo), it equals one additional horsepower.

Can someone confirm/correct this?

A week ago when Jon and I got the car running, his thermal gun showed 120+ degrees out of the turbo (at idle) and ~100 on the up pipe. This is with no water or A/C in the intracooler. I found it interesting that the charge dropped 20 degrees on it's own like that. After adding the freon and water, the up pipe was showing high 60's. I'm expecting more like 30's/40's (or better) once the A/C is fixed, since I have that whopper parallel flow condensor.

I thought the old saying was for every ten degree drop in temps you should get around a 1% increase in h.p. That's the only reason I look forward to the Winter months. You can certainly tell a difference driving to work at 5:30 in December as to an early July morning.:D