1 and 1 with 96 vett.

Turbojorge

Unstoppable
I haven't had a good race on the street for about 4 months now (no one wants to race me), so I'm posting this one.

I just got my T+/LS1 MAF/extender set up and I've been trying to tune my car for the past week with no luck.
Anyways, I was headed back home Saturday when I see an old friend from high school who I hadn't seen in a couple years. It was a nice clean 96 vett with only 45,000 miles, automatic. We compliment each other on the cars, then he said: "Damn, I've never raced a Grand National before". :D

We couldn't catch a light, so we decided to go to the spot where the locals race at night (this was at 6:00 in the afternoon). We heated them up a bit (like it really helps right) and then we staged. He counted the 1 2 3 and he takes off on me right when he yells "3" :mad: . He got 1 1/2 cars on me (I can't leave on anything else but idle you know :mad: ). As soon as the boost kicks in at about 12mph, I'm fighting the steering wheel to go in the right direction. This drops me back to about 2 cars behind the vett. As I look at the boost, I see 14 freaken psi (at top of 2nd). I'm gaining some ground, but we are running out of street soon. So whatever, he jumped, I was running 14psi (I had closed the knob (DIY boost controller) all the way the previous night when I was trying to mess with the Translator+ settings) and I saw some tail lights for the first time since I got the 44 about 8 months ago.

I said: "Lets do it again, and don't jump". We turned around, I turned the knob (boost) up to about 2 more psi (now I'm at 16 1/2psi or so). He does the 1 2 3, and we are off even this time. I start ripping the tires again, but managed to stay right next to him. It finally hooks in the middle of second and I start walking him. I stretch it to about 2 cars and then shut it down. That’s more like it.

He claimed to be stock, but I know him a little too well from high school to believe that. Wouldn’t offer to show me under the hood either.

1 thing I can add is that this Power Stroke IC really works. I could have never done back-to-back runs in a 90* day and have results like that with the stocker. Plus I had only 1.6* of KR during the runs. Think I may have the tune down, but I need some more runs to test it.

:cool:

No way in H3LL does a stock 96 auto vette hang with a car modded like yours. They were nowhere close to 11 second cars. Plus the no under the hood peeking tells me there was probably something like a centrifugal blower under there he didn't want you knowing about ;) Good kill though!

I agree! All the C4 autos I've seen at the track are consistently around the high 13's. Nice kill!;)

Thanks guys.

I Don't think it had a blower or anything, maybe some intake and programing done.

What I think gave it away was at the end, we were talking and he said : "I'm putting a 150 shot of Nitrous this week". I don't now much about NOS, but I don't think you can just add NOS to a bone stock car just like that without doing some other form of modds.

I really need some Drag radials for the street. It just isn't fun anymore to melt tires when it's an important race, and these are 275/60's. I can no longer tell if any adjustments I make to the car actually made a difference unless I roll into it at 30mph or above. Even then it rips them up! (93 octane/17 psi)

Originally posted by Turbojorge
Thanks guys.

I Don't think it had a blower or anything, maybe some intake and programing done.

What I think gave it away was at the end, we were talking and he said : "I'm putting a 150 shot of Nitrous this week". I don't now much about NOS, but I don't think you can just add NOS to a bone stock car just like that without doing some other form of modds.

I really need some Drag radials for the street. It just isn't fun anymore to melt tires when it's an important race, and these are 275/60's. I can no longer tell if any adjustments I make to the car actually made a difference unless I roll into it at 30mph or above. Even then it rips them up! (93 octane/17 psi)

man i hear ya...there's no way in hell i can build any boost at a stoplight...even when i punch it from a complete idle stop once the top of 1st gear hits...and the turbo kicks in...there goes my back end...my car gets so out of control it will go into the median on a highway easily (gotton close several times)...my friend was behind me one day and i did that and he said "oh my god you were trying to take out burger king across the street weren't you?!":D :D :D

i think my new atr bar and lower control arms will help that...sheesh...and i even have huge 265/50's in the back...street tires are just a no no with our cars...wish i could afford driving on drag radials all the time..