1/4 time on 84GN after mods

pcella84GN

Pcella84GN
Curious if anyone knows a rough idea on a quater mile time my 84GN should be getting with these mods:
Walbro fuel pump
30# injectors
aeromotive adj fuel reg (43 static)
cold air induction w/k&n
160 thermostat
ecm and ign conversion to 86/87 style
red armstrong 93 chip.
15 psi boost
gutted cat
coolant lines blocked
complete new stainless steel exhaust turbo back.
everything else stock

anyone know what this should pull.
Also, how do i get rid of boost lag off the line when i punch it it take a few seconds for it to kick in

thank
paul

I had an 84 t-type with similar mods. Went from 15.30's stock to 14.50's. Traction was a problem I had with stock tires. I was running 93 octain. I had a hole in the up pipe to the turbo that caused boost to be slow. With the small turbo setting on top of the motor, you should spool very fast. I am guessing you are running TOO RICH on the bottom end and that is causing you to spool slow.

How are you launching? I have heard most people hit the first stage light, start "almost powerbreaking" to get the boost up, then roll into the second stage light, Might take some practice, to get the boost up, release brakes a bit to roll forward, then hold them again. A night of test and tune should get your routine down pat.

Squid

thats not bad.... Well, its funny you say i'm too rich as my 02#s are showing rich conditions (844 to 860 wot) but my BLMS are up to 152. whats that all about? any ideas.

thanks for the input
Paul
Derry NH

I launched mine at 1# boost. A rich bottom end will not let the turbo spool fast enough. I would try for 780. E-mail Eric at Turbotweak. His chips aren't as rich on the bottom end and idle like a dream, even with my 009 injectors, and NO tip in hesitation. Lay a bag of ice on the throttle body to cool it down before each run.

thanks for the advise. i will do that..... how do i get my 02s down to that range, as my blms are already showing 152. I already reduced my static from 43psi to 40psi.

paul
derry nh

If you reduce your fuel pressure, you might go lean on the top end. What do you use for a scan tool? I am guessing the chip is too rich on the bottom end, that is why I suggested Eric. Send him an e-mail and tell him what you want, he can program for it.

Hi Paul, I use Direct Scan on my lap top. Are the 30# injectors stock for that year or they after market? Been 8 years since I had my 84. Reason I asked about the injectors is that the chip needs to be programmed for larger injectors. Doesn't matter what turbo you have, but sure does on the injectors. I never used a scan tool on my 84. I do on my GN powered Monte SS. Tried airplane gas in my 84 a couple of times, wasn't worth it! Had a loud screaching sound coming from under the hood on my 84. Almost took the dash apart to fix. Found out there needs to be grease on the stop that holds the back of the hood at the correct level. That drove me crazy. Blew a head gasket at 80,000 miles, white smoke was even coming out the air conditioning vents. Good luck with your 84.