1/2 Timing Question

Turbo6Smackdown

What would happen if I adjusted my chip's 1/2 timing to something like 14 degrees, and leave the 3/4 timing normal. (like 19 degrees)

Anyone?

It also depends on what octane of fuel you are running I run 21 in first and second at 25 pounds of boost and and 18 degrees in third that's on 93 with alky my car likes the higher timing in lower gears coming out of the hole and I back if off a little in third seems to help my car from knocking at the big end but all cars seem to be different

Last edited:
Would like to run 25 psi in the end. I'm hoping that the low timing will help keep the tires from spinning out of the hole. I'll be running 93 with alky.

my car would be a dog coming out of the hole with that low of timing and be pig rich maybe some drag radials to help with the spinning you have no chance of running a descent time if you can't get the car to 60 foot

You should be going the opposite way. The engine load is less and timing tolerance is more at low speeds and load and the car isn't moving yet so power at that point it more important in getting the car down the quarter mile. Most have more boost in 3rd anyway because of the higher load and ex energy. If I was running 14 degrees of timing id make sure I have plenty of ex valve to guide clearance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power at that point means spinning tires and races lost. :( I know suspension suspension suspensions, but noone knows the right formula. One expert says one thing, then another expert says something totally opposite lol.

it will be like running with 10deg retard , it helps spool a turbo but shouldnt be used for any lentgth of time
it will slow the car but will also build a lot of heat and the pistons , valves and turbine wheel on the turbo wont be happy

it will be like running with 10deg retard , it helps spool a turbo but shouldnt be used for any lentgth of time
it will slow the car but will also build a lot of heat and the pistons , valves and turbine wheel on the turbo wont be happy

Huh? With reduced timing? When you get knock, your car reduces timing to reduce heat and pressure in the cylinder. If you want to help spool a turbo out of the hole you don't reduce timing you reduce fuel. Leans it out a little. Hotter gasses spool turbos faster.

not sure where you heard what youve learned but you dont need my advice ..you know too much

reducing timing can be used to control traction but it should not be overused , once traction returns it should be returned to normal timing
running low timing through all of 1st and second ..not good

Last edited: