1/2 mile racing with grand national

Guys

I attended a 1/2 mile race event this past weekend and it was absolutely crazy!

Has anyone ever done one of these events with a turbo Buick ? I was thinking of entering my car into the next event, wanted to get some advice.

http://www.wannagofast.com

It can be done but not on the stock suspension.

The biggest issue will be front end lift at speeds up above 130 to 140.

Look up Stan Davis, he was running a purple Regal in the Silver State Classic back in the early 90s. He was hitting 200 mph in the straights.

You don't need to get crazy and spend $10,000 on the car for wheels, tires and brakes but you will need to make some changes to do what you want.

You could do that type of racing, just don't get too carried away if you are running on the stock suspension. If you want to go out and drive fast for a 1/2 mile and run 130-135 you should be fine provided your car is in good mechanical condition. If you want to run 150-160(or faster) safely you will need to make some changes.

I've been wondering about this too since we have the Tx Mile event not far away. I have shocks, springs and a few other things. Car sits low and rides tight. Is that enough or are you talking about undercarriage aero mods to make them stable above 130-140? I'm sure the trans won't like 30 psi for a half mile anyway though.

I wish I knew a fellow TR member was there I was at the Clayton event at Heavens Landing last weekend and it was great. I went with a buddy that has a GTR Alpha9. If you take a fast GN you will need some great brakes. The car we took has 16 inch carbon ceramic brake rotors and still had to stand on it to stop. Several of the fast heavy cars drivers like the Caddy CTSV were saying it was hard to stop. But it guess it depends on your speed Our best speed was in the 180 range. The VW Golf R I drove to the event (Not My car) only went 134' I saw the Vette not stop fast enough and go down the embankment about 300 feet. Vettcrash.jpg Here is a pic from the hanger balcony we got to usebal2.jpg I can't wait to go back. I think we are going to take his GTR to the Indiana Wannagofast this Fall.

Last edited:
I wish I knew a fellow TR member was there I was at the Clayton event at Heavens Landing last weekend and it was great. I went with a buddy that has a GTR Alpha9. If you take a fast GN you will need some great brakes. The car we took has 16 inch carbon ceramic brake rotors and still had to stand on it to stop. Several of the fast heavy cars drivers like the Caddy CTSV were saying it was hard to stop. But it guess it depends on your speed Our best speed was in the 180 range. The VW Golf R I drove to the event (Not My car) only went 134' I saw the Vette not stop fast enough and go down the embankment about 300 feet.View attachment 280435 Here is a pic from the hanger balcony we got to useView attachment 280436 I can't wait to go back. I think we are going to take his GTR to the Indiana Wannagofast this Fall.

I am thinking about going to the one in Indiana also.

I will be racing my grand national at the September event in Clayton. Running 15lbs of boost I'm expecting to do 125 mph. We will see. I'll run a 93 pump gas chip and probably add some 110 in the tank for insurance.

I will be racing my grand national at the September event in Clayton. Running 15lbs of boost I'm expecting to do 125 mph. We will see. I'll run a 93 pump gas chip and probably add some 110 in the tank for insurance.
I will be there again. I think you will do a little better than 125. A guy with a slightly modified AMC Javelin was running 117 plus the first half is slightly downhill.

Unfortunately my current tires are BF Goodrich radial T/A's. They are speed rated for 116 mph! No good there ! I just ordered kirbams GNX wheels with BF Goodrich GeForce comp 2 tires, 245/50-16 front and 255/60/15 rear, they are W speed rated, good for 160 MPH, so I should be fine as I'm guessing my car will be between 125-135 at the big end !

I am currently running a caspers chip, I will be swapping this out for a turbotweak chip with 60lb injectors before the race.

Updates to come ... I don't know if anybody else has done this before with a GN .

Did you get your tickets for both days? We got a two day pass and it sold out in about 10 minutes.

Yes it is getting more popular. I am not taking my GN. A buddy has one of the sponsored 200 mph cars and I am just the pit crew lol.