01 SS camaro goes down

matt87

nothing fancy just a quick kill. i was at a local cruise night sunday and there was quite a few ls1 cars hanging around. an older guy with a greyish gold 01 ss pulled in front of my car and parked. they guy was old, looked in his late 60's or so. well anyways we ended up checking out each others cars and his looked lightly modded, no power adders. well at the end of the show we ended up leaving together. i am in full street trim, 20 psi boost, 18 degrees and 94 octane on 275-60 bf drags. so i'm cruising in front of him on a two lane busy road for a while when he suddenly guns it and pulls around, then in front of me. so i followed him a bit more till the traffic disolved. i pulled up to the left of him and held it in third. we were going about 45-50 mph. i blipped it fast and slowed back down. as soon as i pulled back by his side he gunned it and pulled about a car in front of me. i nailed it and as soon as the boost hit 20 psi i had a car on him and stretched it out another three lengths. we then slowed, waved and went our seperate ways. i look forward to seeing him next week so we can talk about it.

Good job Matt I love Camaros too but you gotts let em know The Flying Bricks are still a force to reckoned with:D

Originally posted by Gunner Jake
Good job Matt I love Camaros too but you gotts let em know The Flying Bricks are still a force to reckoned with:D

Not all Camaros are slow :D I wish I could have a good GN encounter, but there aren't too many around here.

All the same, good kill!

WeatherGuy, if you don't mind me asking what tranny are you using with that Beast? I'm guessing it's not a 4l60e or a T-56 because I'm sure that 422 motor with the 150 shot of juice would break either tranny with ease so are you using a TH350 or 400?

Originally posted by 86brick
WeatherGuy, if you don't mind me asking what tranny are you using with that Beast? I'm guessing it's not a 4l60e or a T-56 because I'm sure that 422 motor with the 150 shot of juice would break either tranny with ease so are you using a TH350 or 400?

The T-56 will take it (believe it or not), but a 4L60E behind a sprayed 422 = kaboom!

Actually, I am running a Mike Kurtz built 200-4R. Finding out about that transmission is what originally got me looking at this board. I have only had the car for a little over a week, and no track times on it yet.

let us know when you get some numbers! that car should go 10's by accident! good luck and good choice on trannies!

WeatherGuy, that is a pretty cool tranny swap and if it was built by Mike Kurtz @ Century Transmission with all of the good Billet parts it should hold up very well.... And after doing a little research on the T-56 you are right cause the one guy SW has an MTI 422 cube LS1 in his C5 Vette and he has run 9.74 @147mph with some spray (a 125 shot I believe) with a T-56 6spd tranny!:eek: Good luck with the car at the track and please post your results as I'm very interested to see how fast your Z28 goes with the 200-4R tranny (keep in mind there are several TRs in the 9's with a 200 on this forum):)