001 Gnx?

Originally posted by WakkoSS
This isn't gonna be like that rebuilt GNX clone in Hemmings, is it?

No...the real deal. You've probably seen the car, but didn't know what it was. Stay tuned, just starting to do my scans...

Is that the car that got stolen and recovered? I've always heard it was crushed? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics...beautiful car.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 182
Lots of interesting information. Buick just gave these cars away........damn:cool: Would love to see more pictures of the prototype GNX!!! Brad does it look any different then a product model GNX??

GNX Prototype documentation, page 2.

Be forewarned...these are large files and not dial-up friendly.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 166
Is that the car that got stolen and recovered? I've always heard it was crushed? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics...beautiful car.

No, never stolen. This was the car used for photo shoots and display at auto shows. It was built on an '86 Grand National and received a "show quality" paint job (we all know how great the factory paint was...) and was in Buick's care until the gentleman I purchased the car from, a retired Buick engineer whose job was to write the manuals to tell the mechanics at the dealer how to repair a car (he did the GNX supplement). We wanted something special and requested to buy this car, strings were pulled and he was allowed to buy the car in 1991. The car was in the Buick tent at the GSCA Nationals in 1998 where I met the former owner, pressed my business card in his hand and told him if he ever decided to sell, please call me first. He called 6 months later and the rest is history. I bought the car in November 1998.

Originally posted by 1QUICK85
Lots of interesting information. Buick just gave these cars away........damn:cool: Would love to see more pictures of the prototype GNX!!! Brad does it look any different then a product model GNX??

Well, they don't give ANYTHING away ;) but did sell it at, I'm sure, an attractive price to the former owner.

Really, it does not look any different than a production GNX which is it's reason for being. Buick knew the paint left a lot to be desired and was not show quality on a production car. Also, the body had all "die dimples" removed...kind of like paintless dent removal for everything, bumpers included. They could place this car on an elevated turntable without embarassment as the body had been massaged and the paint was "show quality".

There is one difference from a production GNX, it has touch control AC whereas all production GNX's had lever control AC. The car they used to produce this prototype just happened to have touch control AC and it was not changed for this show vehicle. If you see an underhood shot of a GNX, look at the AC box sticker...if it says "68" on the sticker, it's this car. Also, photos used by Buick in publications are most likely of this car...look for black lug nuts. Most of the other prototypes had chrome lug nuts for some reason. The VIN is not listed as a prototype in Martyn L. Schoor's book, "Buick GNX" as it was produced after the book was written, but the photo of the GNX on a black tile floor is of this car, I guess they placed photos after the text was complete.

All of the special GNX parts are pre-production prototype parts and as such, they have little engraved numbers on each. It's really pretty cool to see all the little numbers engraved everywhere.

Great info Brad, and welcome to the board.

All GNX's are awesome cars and we love to hear the little stories involved with them.

ps. I saw that car at the Nats that year. It gave me goosebumps!

Awesome. Great piece of unique history. You might want to disguise your license plates...anyone can get your information from them and locate your collection.

Awesome. Great piece of unique history. You might want to disguise your license plates...anyone can get your information from them and locate your collection.

Well, there a couple of trains of thought on that. It's not like nobody knows who I am, as I post under my real name. If someone wants to bad enough, they can find me, even under an assumed name and with the plate blocked. The plates are not registered at my home address...a PO Box. The cars are split up between storage buildings I own, alarmed, sprinklered and protected by my two best friends...Smith & Wesson ;) .

Besides, what would anybody be able to do with any of them? Their value is that they are a one of a kind. The parts are of no value split up from the car as they are all individual to the respective car.

Brad

Drivetrain?

Brad, after reading the documentation you provided (which was awesome) does that mean the GNX show car you own only has the GNX specific trim and show quality paint but none of the drivetrain items such as Turbo, Panhard bar, etc?

Just curious. After reading the GNX show car order regarding the specific chassis to use for the shows, it didn't appear that they ordered performance upgrades to be done - just visual items.

Is that correct? That being the case, the car you own isn't truly a prototype in the truest sense of the word (Prototype being a developmental mule); rather it is a Buick built clone, made on an '86 GN chassis that was done up extremely well due to the demand by show organizers to have a GNX at their show.

I'm not detracting in any way what you own - the car is awesome. But if my assumptions are correct, you don't necessarily own a true GNX in my view. Just an outstanding show car built by Buick to show what a GNX looks like to the show car attendees.

Your thoughts?

It has all the GNX specific equipment, from the rear cover to the turbo. It is a GNX, but not "numbered" as one.

(this is Brad, signed in on my son's computer...I accidently posted under his name)

Originally posted by drew
It has all the GNX specific equipment, from the rear cover to the turbo. It is a GNX, but not "numbered" as one.

(this is Brad, signed in on my son's computer...I accidently posted under his name)

I saw the info on the corporate doc about the suspension info (missed it the first time) so obviously you have the panhard bar, rear cover,etc. How about the chip and tranny work? Do you know if that was done as well? Or, did Buick, as the letter stated, focus ONLY on visual mods to make the public 'see' a GNX that actually never was at ASC McClaren? Do you know if this car was modded in the Flint Assy plant or at ASC?

I'm just curious since the car (which of course is indeed a rare beast) was meant to be essentially a static display (from what I read in the letter you scanned and posted) or if they went all out to make it performance wise what a production GNX was.

At one time, I owned GNX #281 so I am very fond of these cars. You certainly have a beauty there! Congrats on owning such an extremely rare vehicle. Also, do you know if any other such cars were built to be show cars as yours was and if so, what happened to them?

Well, according to the Buick engineer I bought the car from, it has all GNX upgrades...I did not drop the tranny pan to check that part out, but the chip, turbo, intercooler, etc is correct to the best of my knowledge. Sure runs stronger than either of my 86 GN's. ASC did the work, as per the document I posted.

You are correct in calling it a "show car". The GSX I own should also be called a "show car", but was tagged years ago as "prototype" by Richard Lasseter of GSCA. Up until he called it a prototype, I had always refered to the GSX as a factory show car, as that is really what they are. The license plates (the GSX is GSX NO1) really don't mean they are the first cars built or anything...just my own idea.

I hope my posts didn't come across as questioning the validity of your cars because I surely didn't mean it that way. They are awesome and a rare piece of automobilia.

As I said earlier, the GNX really intrigued me and that was why I asked about it. I think the fact that the car you own was modded at Buick's direction and done at ASC is astounding.

Nice car, Brad. Glad to see your info on it! :D

Scott,

Nothing personal taken from your comments. Believe me, I checked this thing every way to Sunday before the $$ was exchanged. I have many friends at Buick and they all gave it the thumbs up. They knew what it was without me really even asking. The former owner was a very popular fellow during his time at Buick and as such many people knew of him.

Brad

Eric,
You are correct, that is not my car. In fact, mine does not have a GNX number in the dash as the production cars do. It says nothing there.

GNX 001 is still owned by Buick. I doubt they would ever sell it.