0 fuel pressure - bad pump or...?

Was driving around today just as normal, and everything seemed fine and right with the world. Then, on the bypass cruising at 70mph, the car started sputtering and spattering when I would give it anything other than cruise throttle. Shortly after that, it REALLY started to break up n sputter. I barely made it off the next exit ramp before the car cut out completely. Granted my fuel gauge hasnt been working properly lately, so Id figured that it must be something wrong with that. Went and got 2 gallons of fuel and dumped it in, no joy.

Then, I checked the following:
Fuel pressure first - would come up to about 15-20ish at key-on then shoot down to 0.
Plug at pump - unplugged the hotwire kit and tried hooking everything back up stock - nope.
Checked fuses and relays - nope all seems good there.
checked wiring and fuse holder underhood for hotwire kid - nope.

This will be my 3rd fuel pump in less than a year if thats what it boils down to.... What do you guys think?

Check the hose on the fuel pump. Could be leaking or split.

Put a clamp on the return line from the regulator and check your fuel pressure w/key on. If all is well the fuel pressure should run up to pump pressure and hold, if not may have leaking injector/s, bad by-pass on pump, dirty fuel filter,...etc. Also check the grounding wire in front of the d/s tail lgts to see if it came loose. It's been known to cause problems as well.

^ Yep. Blocking off the return line will 'deadhead' the pump and show you the most pressure that pump can make. If it's the FPR, it might save you a tank R&R.

Check the bulk head connector at the top of the tank.... had bad connections in 3 different vehicles , my car and my truck & sons S10. The female side of the connector loosens up and burns from poor contact. My son had changed his fuel pump just recently and was going to change it again until we found that !! Racetronix has the harness to fix it. good luck, Sam

Well gang, it wasnt any fun....
Went to test the power and ground wires at the base of the hotwire kit and everything seemed all systems go. At this point, I turned key on and no longer heard the pump comming on :( Replaced the main fuel pump relay and that cured that, but still no pressure. Dropped the tank to reveal.... the feed line had burst around the top where it meets the feed line on the sending unit. X_x. R&R of the gas tank will ALWAYS happen when youve got half a tank or more of gas and can only preform the operation on the ground >_> New hose, new clamp, a little help and elbow grease from UR50SLO, and away we go! :D Thanks guys! -Ben

This happened to me you need to use "In tank Fuel injection hose" I used a section of FI hose that came with my pump kit and it swelled up due to the ethanol. I went to a hose and tube making shop in my area and asked him what to use he gave me a section of chemical resistant hose saying that is what he used on his in tank applications since traditional FI hose wasn't worth a darn.

To read more on this:
http://www.gates.com/products/autom...-truck/fuel-system/submersible-fuel-line-hose

This happened to me you need to use "In tank Fuel injection hose" I used a section of FI hose that came with my pump kit and it swelled up due to the ethanol. I went to a hose and tube making shop in my area and asked him what to use he gave me a section of chemical resistant hose saying that is what he used on his in tank applications since traditional FI hose wasn't worth a darn.

To read more on this:
http://www.gates.com/products/autom...-truck/fuel-system/submersible-fuel-line-hose
Yeah, the ring around the tank was swollen up pretty hardcore - my guess is from that same things >_> Hopefully this wont have to be a reoccuring adventure for me >_< I'll keep on drivin it as-is untill it does somethin wierd again...heh

Too bad you had so much gas in the tank. Glad it was just the hose.

The number you're looking for is 30R10. That hose is rated for hi pressure (FI) AND, most importantly, submersion. 30R9 is only rated for the pressure, not submersion.

...now back to the partys :D

Are there any stations left that dont mix in ethanol into their fuels? Ive heard shell, but are there any others than that? -Ben

I see a few oddball signs and questionable stations that say no ethanol. But I was thinking that all gas had to be at least 10% from the Jimmy Carter days.

........ he gave me a section of chemical resistant hose saying that is what he used on his in tank applications since traditional FI hose wasn't worth a darn....

That was really nice of him to give you a piece of hose which costs ~$30.00 or more an foot! :)

With it being submersed in e-85, I still change my hose out once a year.

That was really nice of him to give you a piece of hose which costs ~$30.00 or more an foot! :)

With it being submersed in e-85, I still change my hose out once a year.
Ugh... Ive dropped my tank 4 times in the past 8 month... if Ive gotta drop it again in the next year for anything, Im going to make an access port in the trunk.... >_>

So basically, it breaks down like this:
R&R of a GN tank:
15 min - pro/expert level with jack
1 hour - seasoned vet mechanic
2 hours - by yourself with only hand tools
4ish hours - if you weigh 109lbs, are by yourself, the tank is a little above half, no jack - just you, hand tools and wit. Oh, and a 1 hour mechanic has to come save you. <~~~~ the category I fit under X_x

:LOL: That about sums it up.... ;)

And it isn't unusual to be changing or checking the pump, filter, wiring and so on; on a regular basis.

RemoveBeforeFlight