tps idle numbers moving

SickNasty

set tps to .42 take the car around the block...get back in the driveway and its reved to like 2 grand and just stays there. key on tps is now .68 and im getting a code 22 on scanmaster. so i bought a new tps and iac and im getting the same results. short drive get back the car stays reved up and tps numbers are totally different from when i just set them. not sure whats going on. screws are tight. just unhooked the battery and hooked it back up...tps was reset to .42. turn the car off turn it back on and its automatically down to .38... can somebody tell me whats going on?

Sticking throttle body?

Try this, key on car (don't start engine), note TPS voltage. Open throttle to WOT by hand, then very slowly return to closed. Note TPS voltage. Now push the throttle closed with your hand, note TPS voltage. Finally, open the throttle to WOT and let it slam shut, note TPS voltage reading.

For all of the above, the TPS voltage readings should be within about 0.02 volts of each other. If not, check to see if your throttle body is sticky near the closed position.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Actually, what I was going to say is this: After you run the tests that I suggested, if the TPS numbers are jumping around depending on whether you gently close the throttle or quickly close the throttle, then a possibility is that one of the cables is sticking or doesn't have enough slack. If the experiment above shows jumpy numbers, then disconnect all of the cables from the throttle body and repeat the above experiment. If the numbers suddenly become more stable, then it's likely one of your cables is the problem. If the numbers still jump around depending on whether you close the throttle body slowly or quickly, than the throttle body itself is likely sticking.

Good Luck,

just reset the tps to .42 and got iac within 10-20 with car warmed up. do you need to set the iac first then the tps or the tps first.. does this matter?

It's iterative. Set the TPS. Then adjust the idle screw to get the IAC to be between 15 and 40 at idle in park. Then re-adjust your TPS. Then double check that you IAC count is correct. Keep repeating until you are sure that both your TPS voltage and IAC steps are correct at idle in park.

BTW, you said that your TPS passed test, good to .2. You did mean .02, right? Like 0.40 to 0.42 or something?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app