THS project almost alive

You mean you have to weigh 3650 in THS?? with a stock block, 200 trans, and 8.5 rear??? And people complain with stage engines, TH400, and 9" rears....

Looks good KevinB! Looks like you get it!
Thanks Jason. I guess I don't complain about the weight because my car is already heavy.

I guess I don't complain about the weight because my car is already heavy.

As are most of the true street cars in the class. Many of the iron headed cars are racing at aluminum headed weights in the class.

See ya, Kip

You mean you have to weigh 3650 in THS?? with a stock block, 200 trans, and 8.5 rear??? And people complain with stage engines, TH400, and 9" rears....

Jason, I will try to help you understand the differences here. THS requires a car to have alot of the factory equipment thus many of the cars are over the required weights anyways. So much so that alot of iron headed cars race at aluminum headed weight. We only have two weights for THS with the heaviest being 3650 pounds. Now as for xTSM these cars are allowed alot of weight saving steps such as removing the AC/ heater box etc., so these type
of cars should race at lighter weights than a class that requires more factory features. As stated above THS's highest weight is 3650 pounds were as a stage engine 71 turbo car with alchy on it has to weight 3750 pounds in xTSM.

I know for years you wanted TSM to lighten up on the weights and one reason you gave was braking. You mentioned stopping a lighter car from TSM speeds would be much safer. Now xTSM has taken TSM's place and I have to ask how do you feel about a 3750 pound car stopping from 150+ mph ?
If you did not like 3550 like TSM was seems you would think xTSM's 3750 would be insane.

Take care, Kip

A few more additions for the '12 season.
Finally got rid of the stock puck wastegate and got something a little more controllable. I blame my old setup for losing 2 races last year. Was time to move on.
Also rewired the inside of the car. Anything that is an added accessory goes to what used to be the glove box. Had a bunch of splicing of power wires under the dash. That is all gone. Also centralized all the grounds. There is a wire on the ground block that eventually makes its way to the negative terminal on the battery.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120319_231320.png
    ForumRunner_20120319_231320.png
    512.8 KB · Views: 194
  • ForumRunner_20120319_231358.png
    ForumRunner_20120319_231358.png
    455.2 KB · Views: 193
  • ForumRunner_20120319_231421.png
    ForumRunner_20120319_231421.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 177
so far for this yr i swapped out the stock carrier for a eaton unit and added some new gears. I figured the stock unit and gears won't take to many more 1.46 60ft's :eek:

so to get some boost on it and tuning time. so maybe just maybe i can stay in the middle of the pack.

Almost forgot. We have a local weekly race on Thursdays. I've decided to dominate the 11.50 index class. Should be fun and relatively easy on the car. Plan is to drive the family to the track, win, collect my $200, have a few $1 beers and let my wife drive home.
Here's a pic of the way the car sits right now in street/11.50 index class mode. I like the black wheels. It has 255/60 Dr's on the back and 205/70's on the front.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120319_233121.png
    ForumRunner_20120319_233121.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 193
SloGN said:
so far for this yr i swapped out the stock carrier for a eaton unit and added some new gears. I figured the stock unit and gears won't take to many more 1.46 60ft's :eek:

so to get some boost on it and tuning time. so maybe just maybe i can stay in the middle of the pack.

Good luck with it. I hope to make it to the track in a week or so.

It is coming back. Went from a 9.7 @ 140 THS car with a ton left into it, to swapped 5.3 turbo project that was 95% finished, now back to a ths car. Full circle lol

Anyways, this year is going to be mainly focused on getting it back into ths form. I never cut anything on the car during the swap, so that is a good thing. Bad thing is I sold everything except for the ac components and accessories. The car will have good suspension this year but will definitely be low on horsepower. Nothing fancy under the hood. Mid ten second slips are the goal.

The car ran 9.7 with high 1.4 60's. At the time it had hr parts uppers and lowers in the rear with stock shocks in the rear, qa1's in the front with stock arms. Also had hr bar in the rear. Now the car has baselinesuspensions.com rear components, qa1's, and hr bar.
Front suspension is PA racing uppers and lowers. Don't have shocks yet but most likely will be something double adjustable.

I sold my beloved v1 intercooler (still sad about that.) I did pick up a fmic that has a 3" core. I'm told it is a cottons piece. Whatever it is, it is about 50lbs lighter than the v1 was.

I also sold my old engine management. Had an accel gen7. Should have kept that too. I was just figuring out how to get fancy with pulling and adding timing and changing fueling during the run and sending outputs to my innovative boost controller, which I sold too. I was really starting to master all that. Now I have a holley efi system which I know zilch about. Going to be a huge learning curve here. I do plan on using it's built in boost controller and 2 and 3 steps eventually. But that is definitely down the road.

I no longer have my EA 200. I traded that for an EA 400. Hoping the 400 rule passes because I would really like to keep the 400. I have a 9.5 ptc converter for it too.

As far as the engine, I don't have anything special right now. I picked up a set of cleaned up stock heads that still have the stock valves. Came with a full throttle roller cam, not sure which one but the guy said he made like 550 to the wheels with it. I have a girdle, but no block or rotating assemble. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.

For the turbo, I'd like to get a billet 67 eventually but will be using a mystery turbo I got from a car I parted out. I think it is a Chinese turbo lol. Definitely smaller than 60mm. It will do for this year though.

I still have the fuel system I had in the car from years ago which was a homemade double pumper. It had a - 10 line going to the front. However I did buy a weldon 2025 and a 10 gal fuel cell. Probably not going to use that stuff. May sell it to help fund the motor. I know the double pump was was more than enough to run mid 9's.

I will post stuff as I go along. Been working out of town with a newer job I got. This job makes way more but I can't do my side work like I used to do that funded the race car. Haven't figured out how to make racing money yet. Wife doesn't allow me to spend my pay check money on the car lol. My garage is a disaster plus there is another car in there that needs to find a new home ASAP. All this stuff has killed any progress so far..plus my wife is getting on me about moving to a new house here soon. Despite all this, my motivation is high. Hope to make bpg and bg this year.

So... If you see me trying to sell parts on here... Please buy them and help fund the cause!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
As you can see, I'm far from being ths legal under the hood!

Attachments

• 1389239896989.jpg
    1389239896989.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 178
Yikes! I have one iron in the fire. Three ths cars if the trans rule goes in!

Looking good at the moment! Only problem is the engine for this year probably will not make enough power to turn a 400 lol

Waiting on the results of the voting to see if project gets scrapped.

I don't have the money to compete with those 3200lb 8 second cars. I got a 3700 lb tank.

Lol I was joking!! I'm like everybody else. It would take 30k plus and nobody wants to give that.
Look at JW his car has been for sale since I met him lol. Mine is slower but way nicer

I don't have the money to compete with those 3200lb 8 second cars. I got a 3700 lb tank.

Me too........

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app