Stock GN vs SRT-4???

Ok, I'll even give it benefit of the doubt.... 6 second head start. Watch the buick close the gap REALLY fast!

motor will last. Internals on these motors were built VERY STOUT. Forged crank along with rods. ONly drawback that they came with Hyperpathetic pistons. Right now i think FM is running their 2.4 powered neon @ 9.12@161mph i think, not sure on the mph. They are quick little cars. All these cars need is a turbo upgrade and its MOVING.

A ricer? i THINK NOT. Btw anyone have any GN's for sale :D , have always loved these cars

Danny

Originally posted by junkyard t
go on the wrx sti forum and look what stock is running. some 13 and 14 sec with all wheel drive

I don't think so. http://www.scoobymile.com/
Slowest STi on there is low 13.2
People get made fun of for posting anything about a 13.4 for a stock STi because they just plain can't drive. Most of the cars are around 13.0 - 13.2 bone stock.
I would believe you that stock WRX's are running 13 (high) and 14's

Absolutely. Look at the published times, they are all mid/low 14's. I don't consider putting a $2 MBC knob on the wastegate hose to make a car "not stock". Do that, crank that to a few more PSI and there's your high 13. It's all over NASIOC.

if we are talking about STOCK WRX's then they are not a 13 second car. They are AT BEST with a VERY good driver a 14.3 car. The ones that i have all seen run between 14.7 to a best of 14.4.

Danny

they day everyone can agree on one time for one type of a car will never happen. theres just too many variables. altitude, air quality, weight of the person, track conditions, wear on the car, driver skill, everything put together you can have 1 second difference in 2 cars the look the same. A wrx, srt-4, evo or a gn will all be competeive with each other. there are plenty of gn's out there that will humiliate a wrx sti, there are srt-4's that will walk all over an evo, stock anything can happen between these cars if your just posting times. but take them all to the track, where they all have equal conditions, give each can an equal driver and you'll end up with a pretty close race (not counting an sti, unless you want to compare it to a gnx) but allow $500 to be put into the cars and the gn will have an advantage.

of course the GN will have an advantage. What you dont fail to realize is that you guys have much more Cubi inch over us 4cylinder guys, so any little upgrade on your motors will make a much bigger impact. Comparing apples to oranges here.

Danny

Originally posted by denn454
they day everyone can agree on one time for one type of a car will never happen. theres just too many variables. altitude, air quality, weight of the person, track conditions, wear on the car, driver skill, everything put together you can have 1 second difference in 2 cars the look the same. A wrx, srt-4, evo or a gn will all be competeive with each other. there are plenty of gn's out there that will humiliate a wrx sti, there are srt-4's that will walk all over an evo, stock anything can happen between these cars if your just posting times. but take them all to the track, where they all have equal conditions, give each can an equal driver and you'll end up with a pretty close race (not counting an sti, unless you want to compare it to a gnx) but allow $500 to be put into the cars and the gn will have an advantage.

Bravo! :)

I was TALKING ABOUT Turbocharged engines here. I'm sorry isnt this a GN buick forum? Now turbocharged an LS1 then that would be apples to oranges, get the picture now? or should i explain more?

Danny

I agree that with $500 the GN will kill all those cars. But there are other factors. Such as snow, rain, reliability, gas mileage, and so on. I love my buick but I could never drive it as an everyday driver. Too many other drivers errors, mileage, and I have 17's on it so swerving pot holes. The WRX is the best performance everyday driver in my opinon. I live in Michigan so the ****ty roads and ****ty winters add to my decision. I am lookin to sell the WRX and get an STi. MORE POWER! We all need that. A fun daily driver with the availibility of tons of performance parts, and the fastest new car out for under $40,000. I need a life besides cars.

Nick:D

If I wasn't looking to buy a truck in the next couple of years, I'd love to have an SRT/Evo/Sti in my garage. Any of them would make a fun daily driver, especially in bad weather! I really hate the look of the Evo, so I'd probably go with the SRT or Sti.

However, the Sti is not the fastest new car under $40k.

Originally posted by ViciousV6
However, the Sti is not the fastest new car under $40k.

You got that right. Red 2003 Cobra with 800 miles for $28K at the local dealer. No better bang for the new car buck than that.

too bad I can't afford a new car.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
I agree that with $500 the GN will kill all those cars. But there are other factors. Such as snow, rain, reliability, gas mileage, and so on. I love my buick but I could never drive it as an everyday driver. Too many other drivers errors, mileage, and I have 17's on it so swerving pot holes. The WRX is the best performance everyday driver in my opinon. I live in Michigan so the ****ty roads and ****ty winters add to my decision. I am lookin to sell the WRX and get an STi. MORE POWER! We all need that. A fun daily driver with the availibility of tons of performance parts, and the fastest new car out for under $40,000. I need a life besides cars.

Nick:D

I agree with that too. the gn is faster, many of us here will agree better to drive, and to some a better all around car. but there are drawbacks. I live in colorado where most of the time the weather is pretty nice, but when it gets bad, it gets BAD. unfortunatly i do drive my buick everyday, if i could afford something else, and keep insurence in both cars i'd do it, but i can't. to drive my car in bad weather i HAVE to disconnect the wastegate, other wise its pretty well undriveable, fun but i don't get anywhere. as much as i like my car i would probably not buy another, as a daily driver that is. If i were given the chance i would probably sell it for a wrx or what i would really lke to have a syclone, not because i like thoes cars more, not because there faster, but there more driveable. If i lived somewhere where i never had to think about bad weather i would definatly buy one again. but the buicks, although good, are not the best daily drivers, they have huge drawbacks.

back to the origional question of a srt-4 vs. a gn, theres only one way to answer that....:D take it to the track!

I went to scoobymile.com The STI are all running nos and all the other go fast goody. 4 to 5 grand on upgrades. If I had 5 grand to add mods to my Dodge Diesel Ext. Cab diesel I probably wip on alot of car. STI stock on Sti forum and you will find these guys running high 14 to maybe 13 sec. Road and Driver test prove the same results.

There are NO STi's running high 14s!! There has never been any magazine test or other where a regular WRX has been slower than a mid-high 14, so I really doubt a car with 60 more hp is going to be slower.

I hate to say it, but stock vs. stock, an SRT-4 versus a GN would be a driver's race. The GN would have the holeshot assuming the driver can launch, but the SRT-4 would probably pull a wee bit in the top end. 03 SRTs are trapping about 100mph on average (with some as high as 103), and the 04s are said to be even stronger, with a LSD as standard.

And of course $500 in a GN will be walking all over the Neon, but $500 in to the Neon and it'll be right back up there too. Especially when it's aftermarket grows.

Personally, I'd rather have the GN (and I do!) because RWD + cubic inches = more potential, but if I had to buy a new, cheap commuter car it'd be the SRT-4, hands down.

My son bought a 04 SRT today,$19,300 plus tax. It is like no Neon I had been in before. The seats wrap around you factory boost gauge 4 wheel disc brakes,17 inchwheels with real nice tires, for the money it doesn't seem like a bad car.

I will agree that the STi isnt the fastest under $40,000. I forgot about the SVT. The hard top is like 35 and the open top is like 40 w/o options. If you went and read Subaru forums you were lookin at WRX's runnin 14's. Stock they run low to mid 14's. The WRX STi runs low 13's from the factory. There are constant 13.2 runs with the STi on the forums. If an STi ran higher than a 13.4 it has a new or learning driver. The major factor with AWD is the launch. With those cars there is a fine line between burning a clutch up and bogging the car down. I am on the Subaru forums almost as much as I am on this one and I have yet to read about more than 5 WRX's runnin nitrous into the motor. I know of alot that spray it onto the intercooler.

Nick

yep went to that site also stated same thing 14.2 all wheel drive against a SRT peg leg front wheel drive pulling the same numbers. Not a very good 60' time on SRT due to single track drive but on the upper end of the Quarter mile is where this car shine the best. Flat 14 to 13 sec car. The 2004 Will have the positrack front end so now some of the newer car are in the lower 13 to 12 with a little mod. Oh before I go there some drag race neon trailer car during 6 sec run on these engines also.