Stock GN vs SRT-4???

That thing does move for a neon. But it is still a neon. Every car magazine likes the car but dosnt know the quality of the car yet. It is still quite cheap, but thats why the people by neons in the first place. Also Dodge has that car pushed to its limits from the factory, in otherwords it dosnt have much power to free up with aftermarket. Best bang for your buck would be the Lancer Evo. It is 7 grand more and runs almost a full second faster in the quarter mile. And still has the ablity to be tuned for much more power. For the price a neon srt4 is worth the cash, but I would never buy one.

Nick

Horsepower is not max out on these car by any chance. I got on a Neon forum and the guys in Germany are running them hard at the Autobahn head up with there car. maxing out the speedo at 160 and some of the guy are testing how the car handle on curves and swears these car handle whatever it approach. also Dodge stated it the second fasted car in the lineup compare to the Viper. So they are faster than the Roadrunner or Superbee. so go figure. With some sticky tires upfornt wick turn up to 20 psi and some race gas and you will 11 sec. easy. If that not fast enough with a little NOS and your in the 10 It's amercan built by team of engineer aim at for the younger adults, at a low price. And they are selling like hotcakes...

Originally posted by junkyard t
Horsepower is not max out on these car by any chance. I got on a Neon forum and the guys in Germany are running them hard at the Autobahn head up with there car. maxing out the speedo at 160 and some of the guy are testing how the car handle on curves and swears these car handle whatever it approach. also Dodge stated it the second fasted car in the lineup compare to the Viper. So they are faster than the Roadrunner or Superbee. so go figure. With some sticky tires upfornt wick turn up to 20 psi and some race gas and you will 11 sec. easy. If that not fast enough with a little NOS and your in the 10 It's amercan built by team of engineer aim at for the younger adults, at a low price. And they are selling like hotcakes...

they are pretty cool cars, theres not much question about that. if i were looking for a new car i'd probably concider one of thoes little screamers. but i've still got to question one beating a stock gn running the way it should. it would be a good race.

raising boost and addind gace gas isn't going to take you from lets be generous and say 14 flat, to an 11. from there a little nitrous, even a lot of nitrous isn't going to make a 10 sec. pass. as far as being able to put a little in and get a lot out a gn is the king of that, and theres no way anyone here running 11's simply turned up their boost, something our cars would respond to better than the neon. i'm not questioning there quick, 14's from the factory isnt' something to make fun of, thats dam fast for a car anyone can go out and buy right now.

i was looking at some of the older muscle cars of the 60's and 70's (I REALLY REALLY REALLY like thoes cars) and from what i've seen they wern't much for 1/4 mile cars, maybe it was bad tires back then, but they weren't all that fast. a mustang gt500, probably one of the faster cars of its time only ran a 13.8 (correct me if i'm wrong), very good time, but for a rare super car like that i would expect more. most camero's and other cars of their time ran around 14's-16's still pretty good, but i was really suprised when i read some of thoes numbers. I rarely see any all origional old cars at the track so i can't say yea thoes numbers are right or not.

I really need to find something better to do with my time, i wrote this all out of lack of better things to do...

I mean that to make those cars go faster and get more power you need to do more than simple bolt ons. Dodge has pushed that car to limit from the factory. To get more power they will need a bigger turbo, entire fuel system, internal engine work. Alot of money will need to go into one for it to reach 12's. Lets see how long the head gaskets last on those little things. Chrysler has worse headgasket problems than turbo buicks do.

With some sticky tires upfornt wick turn up to 20 psi and some race gas and you will 11 sec. easy. If that not fast enough with a little NOS and your in the 10

No Way!

Nick

Last week at NED a girl ran 12.6 in her SRT and beat a Viper. A link is in the Friday Video's post.

At the Sandhills One Mile Shootout a Stage 1 equipped 03 SRT-4 (stock for 04) was 5 mph faster in the standing mile than an EVO VIII (137 mph vs. 132 mph). which means that from a roll, a stock SRT-4 will run and hide from a stock (non-sti) WRX.

From a Roll, a bone stock GN would likely lose. Running 105-106 mph in the 1/4 is no big deal for an SRT-4, where a stock recipe TR will need a little more octane than 93 to run 106 consistantly.

in a standing 1/4 the SRT-4 will be completely out classed by a stock recipe TR if the car is running well and the owner has any idea what he is doing, though.

The Neon SRT flat haul butt at a standing start or at 5mph roll. And they art not close to being maxx out. On the dodge site the SRT comes with big 57 lbs injectors and only 14 to 16 psi compare to the evo and the wrx which is set at 19 psi.. and doing the comparison on the 273 horse sti the quarter mile is the same. Dodge underated the horsepower on these car. Oh there alot of racer already pulling 500 to 600 horsepower out of these motors.
Honda and Mit. can bring there horsepower up so can the dodge with very little tweeking. We all love our Buicks, but like I said The SRT is the Turbobuick of yesterday. all the goodys already install 160mph and no wind noise or wobble.

Actually the Neon SRT is the Omni GLH-S ov yesteryear.

The big difference between Neons, Evo's, Omni's etc... and Turbo Buicks is that in 16 years nearly all the econo boxes will be in the junkyards and nobody will really care about what happened to them.

Any car that comes with boost from the factory is easy to mod to get more power, we are just used to comparing our cars to mustangs and camaro's that are NA and cost a fortune to get as fast as we can go for $1500-$2000 in mods.

How much is a Omni GLH or GLH-s worth now?? How many are still running around?? How many are in car collections?? Compare those questions to the same ones concerning TR's.

Yup, lightweight EconoBoxes with turbos are fun and cheap, but they are still econoboxes and get really expensive if you want to go fast.

But...but....a Neon.....ewwww

I can respect the power of the turbo Dodge. I have a turbo Daytona and in its day it would hold its own with the 5.0s.

I have seen one of these new Neons around Ann Arbor and with the dual exhausts (that sound farty) and the HUGE wing..........they just look silly to me.

I will buy a Monte SS Supercharged with its little NASCAR wing long before I buy what to me is an American rice burner.

Just my .02

The WRX runs on 14 psi. The Evo is also bein pushed to its limits from the factory. With big FMIC from the factory, and for some high psi from the factory the tuning will start to get expensive. The only imports that a tuned buick should worry about is 1. Subaru WRX Sti w/300 hp, 2. Nissan 350Z w/287 hp, and 3. Mitsu Lancer Evo w/271 hp.

Nick

yeah but they have no boost so after a few bolt ons and some head and cam work they will need a major power adder. I'm not worried about them, I think most of them look like rice. If I had one given to me I'd make some changes to it and de-badge the ugly little thing.

The 350 Z's have a few turbo kits out, and many being made as we speak. A 350 Z with a $3,000 turbo kit would be alot of fun for a tuned and affordable new performance car. Since they start at like $26,000 and go to like $32,000 (pricey). but in my opinon the best "bang for the buck" right now would be the STi. Viper is a little outta the price catagory here.

Nick

Alright Guys found the wedsite for srt. www.srtforums.com stock these guy and girls are running in the 13 sec. with a ****ty 60' feet times in 2.20 due to massive wheel spin. but with slicks up front and stage 1 up grade which is under 400 dollars they are in the 12 sec at 109

This is the fastest SRT 4 on that site.

12.423 @ 111.97| 1.863 | 26x6x15 Drag slicks | Route 66 Dragway, IL | Mopar S1, T3T4E turbo, log manifold, DM Motor mounts, Tial 35mm WG, Full 3" turboback exhaust, Nitrous Express 75 shot (WET) and Blackdog CAI

That motor isnt gonna last long. And for only 12 second 1/4 mile runs. The WRX STi runs 13.2's stock. With under a grand the WRX can get a full exhaust (up pipe, catless down pipe, cat back) from reputable companies, and drop the e/t's. The fastest WRX ran a 9.60 @ 144.7mph 1/4 mile time. I really dont like those SRT-4's. After all they are still neons.

Nick

Here is the site for that WRX if you dont belive me. http://www.esxmotorsports.com/esx.htm?home.htm~main

I got on the website that you had with wrx from motorsports that a stripdown wrx trailer car.... there a different from apple to oranges. that was a drag car. go on the wrx sti forum and look what stock is running. some 13 and 14 sec with all wheel drive with a 60 feet time of 1.7 to 1.8 running at anywhere from 99 to 102 compare to str 2.20 60 ft time running at 99 to 109 stock tires. So that means the srt got the stronger motor on the upper end of the 1/4 mile. due to the massive wheelspin all the way down the track so compare apples against apple. yeah the srt only been out for a year. and it not rice

i like those lil neons. reminds me of the 80's and the 2.2's running around

i live in auburn hills mi so i see quite a few running around the tech center. had a chance to whoop on a few of them. it is fun seeing most of the techs driving them and seeing a mustang to beat up on, when surprise it is not what they thought.

I'd love to have a healthy modded GN w/ a trans brake and some E/T Streets and have one of those little pocket rockets pull up next to me and rev the rice grinder. I'd laugh, and lock up the trans and stand on the gas. Light goes green, I'd let him take off, count to 3 then release the trans brake, hook so hard that my vision would blur and then blow his little economic doors off. I bet at the next light he'd be crying since his super bad neon got smoked like a blunt.