Stock GN vs SRT-4???

srt-4 is crazy!!!!

hey guys those srt-4s are crazy no match to the gn though but compared to the other cars in its catagory they dominate.

my good friend has a 02 wrx wagon with 3in. catless downpipe, catless exhaust and a re flashed computer and a couple other ghetto mods but that thing is quick for a 4 banger.

he belongs to a club called aw junkies in southern cal. where we both live and a couple of the guys have sti s and one has a evo that are bone stock and his car is almost as fast as those 2 , but the other day we were turning on to melrose and we saw an srt-4 so we slowed and let him come up to us because we have both herd how fast these things are but havent seen it cause no one has one. so as soon as he reaches our rear bumper my friend took off and so did he and we took him pretty good , and we were both like i knew it they arnt that fast!!!! then he pulls up to us and gives the thumbs up and says lets go again on the 3rd honk we went from a 5 mph roll and pulled 2 cars on him and then we hear the fatest turbo howl and he blew past us like we stoped and pretty much we both **** our pants

we talked to the guy and he only had stage 1 a k and n filter and a home made boost controller

Re: srt-4 is crazy!!!!

Originally posted by turbo-god
we went from a 5 mph roll and pulled 2 cars on him and then we hear the fatest turbo howl and he blew past us

Your buddy must like losing or doesn't really understand AWD vs FWD. He dug his own grave on that one :p

Got my srt-4 bout 4 months ago. (yes i made this account just to reply to help the OP) anyway, with a A/F controller, boost controller, and a new catback im in the high 12's best is 12.63. if the srt is stock with a new driver youll crush it. but all you really need to make it move is a boost controller, you see any blue LED lights you get the hell outta there if he tuned it right, the stock can put up around 20 psi, best ive found at 18 though once the tractions right, otherwise it spools too quick you lose it on the top end

I eat Z06 said:
This is the fastest SRT 4 on that site.

12.423 @ 111.97| 1.863 | 26x6x15 Drag slicks | Route 66 Dragway, IL | Mopar S1, T3T4E turbo, log manifold, DM Motor mounts, Tial 35mm WG, Full 3" turboback exhaust, Nitrous Express 75 shot (WET) and Blackdog CAI

That motor isnt gonna last long. And for only 12 second 1/4 mile runs. The WRX STi runs 13.2's stock. With under a grand the WRX can get a full exhaust (up pipe, catless down pipe, cat back) from reputable companies, and drop the e/t's. The fastest WRX ran a 9.60 @ 144.7mph 1/4 mile time. I really dont like those SRT-4's. After all they are still neons.

Nick

Here is the site for that WRX if you dont belive me. http://www.esxmotorsports.com/esx.htm?home.htm~main

An SRT4 is still a Neon and a WRX is still an Impreza. Both cheap a to b cars. Bang for the buck the SRT4 is the better car IMO. I've driven both and the WRX is nice, but not worth the extra $ IMO. You keep making references to the effect that the Neon motors won't hold up, but looking at the SRTforums, these guys are thrashing there cars and are not reporting engine problems.

Stock SRT4's and WRX's are a pretty even match, only the WRX sti will walk away from an SRT4. I doubt SRT4 guys like the Impreza much either or they would have bought one. Kind of a modern day Ford vs. Chevy.

I eat Z06 said:
Good luck seein a tuned SRT4 around in 7 years. The STi or WRX will still be around because they are not bein pushed to the max from the factory. The SRT4 dosnt have **** to add for a low budget. **** Neons!

Nick

These are just silly ridiculous comments based on your biased speculation. You made your point, we get you don't like the SRT4 and you are entitled to your opinion. However, there is plenty of engineering "F-A-C-T" to dispute your flimsy opinions. Why create an argument or be offensive when it's not necessary? There are better ways to make point wouldn't you agree? Any car made today regardless of manufacturer generally can be expected to live a very long life if it is maintained properly. The engineering is at such a high level today that cars can live a long hard life, which wasn't always common. There are plenty of Neons running around with some serious high mileage, just like any other model out there. D/C has moved so far past the days of Lebarons, K-cars, etc, but some people will never recognize that. anyway, back to my point. You'll find people will have a much higher regard for you if you just extend a little courtesey.

I briefly owned an SRT4 before my Magnum R/T came in and can tell you from experience the build quality was pretty good. The car was tight, and although I did not own it long, was trouble free. I drove that car pretty hard too. Some things bothered me like no power windows in the rear, but every design has it's shortcomings.

You make some very good points about the WRX and it's really a good car. AWD is a great advantage over the SRT4, but it's virtues are not always a priority to a performance car buyer on a budget. Throwing stones at an SRT4 to make your car look better to others is just plain silly and inmature.

As for the topic of this thread - based on all the evidence it would be a tight race.

inzanesrt4 said:
Wow this is an old thread.
Yes it is!! Over 300 replies and 9000 views ! My position is still the same.
In 1987 my brohter in law ran 14.23 stock Turbo T my son's 04 stock SRT ran 13.8x. Stock vs stock the SRT is quicker that was the original question wasn't it?

Randy Greenoe said:
Yes it is!! Over 300 replies and 9000 views ! My position is still the same.
In 1987 my brohter in law ran 14.23 stock Turbo T my son's 04 stock SRT ran 13.8x. Stock vs stock the SRT is quicker that was the original question wasn't it?

It was kind of the original question, but I think you are overlooking the fact he was talking about 2 srt 4s 1 was a 2003 and the other was a 2004. The 2003s run 14.1s the 04-05 have limited slip and are slightly faster and run 13.8s like you said. Anyways stock for stock the grand national would probably win even against the 04s 05s from a dig, because I doubt an srt-4 driver can take off and then shift perfectly the entire run. My friend told me his 05 srt 4 has a really short first gear. And I saw for my own eyes that he has trouble shifting it because some of his runs were in the 15s and some were in the low 14s.

lieu910 said:
I briefly owned an SRT4 before and can tell you from experience the build quality was pretty good. The car was tight, and although I did not own it long, was trouble free. I QUOTE]

When I drove the SRT4 it felt like a $10,000 econobox. Nothing felt smooth, it's highway capabilites felt sub-par from what I had read. Seats were too tight for people with a 30" waist. Another WRX owner took one out and broke the shift knob off while doing the test drive. quality... :rolleyes:

Nick

Thanks, guys...because of reading THIS thread, I lost S E X tonight :mad: I have owned a LOT of cars...from vintage Chargers to newer Corvette's...TR's win it.....if nothing else but by recognition...and, you know what? At a car show, nobody ask's "How much faster is it than a SRT4? Or STi? Who really cares what car did what when new...Actually, one of the most impressive times I have had with my GN, was when an older guy with a new Shelby Mustang pulled up with me at a light, and just gave me the "thumb's up"....Very respectful in my opinion. The U.S.A. has built a LOT of great cars in the history of performance, and will continue to do so...so really....does a few tenths matter? :confused: Look, there are not many turbo American car's left...let's "All be friends" :biggrin: :wink:
Plus, I had to make a post on this MAMMOTH post! :eek:

pontiac69fb said:
The 2003s run 14.1s the 04-05 have limited slip and are slightly faster and run 13.8s like you said. Anyways stock for stock the grand national would probably win even against the 04s 05s from a dig, because I doubt an srt-4 driver can take off and then shift perfectly the entire run.
I am confused? If the SRT runs 13.8 in the standing 1/4 mile and the Turbo Regal runs 14.2xs how is the Regal gonna win? I understand driver error but after a few passes you pretty much get the handle on it,no? I have seen many Turbo Regal drivers suffer from driver error,myself included,and put down a dissapointing pass and come back with a respectable number.Wouldn't the same hold true for a SRT? Not trying to cause any heart burn just curious.

Randy Greenoe said:
I am confused? If the SRT runs 13.8 in the standing 1/4 mile and the Turbo Regal runs 14.2xs how is the Regal gonna win? I understand driver error but after a few passes you pretty much get the handle on it,no? I have seen many Turbo Regal drivers suffer from driver error,myself included,and put down a dissapointing pass and come back with a respectable number.Wouldn't the same hold true for a SRT? Not trying to cause any heart burn just curious.

Well it depends on a lot of things, but basically I'm saying that a stock grand national is probably going to win 2 out of 3 vs a stock 03 srt 4. A stock 04-05 srt 4 would probably then beat the stock gn 2 out of 3 is my guess. That would mean the stock 03 srt4 would have about a 1 out of 6 chance to beat an 04-05 srt4 in my opinion. Thats basically the way I see it, and it seems logical to me.

As far as better times between the '03 compared to the next two years, not much differance. Yes the 04 and 05 have a limited slip but it really help little, it is more for cornering. The people who run slower then 14.5 times is because of traction in first more then shifting down the track. As for short gears, I would have to say the STI has some of the shortest, it takes a lot of consintraction to drive and shift through gears so quickly.

As for beginner racer will probably get better times in a Turbo Buick then an SRT. In our SRT community we have a few drivers that have owned thier car for over a year and raced a dozen or so times and still have best times of high 14's. They just dont grasp shifting so they would probably get similiar times in a STI. But better times in a Turbo Buick.

pontiac69fb said:
Well it depends on a lot of things, but basically I'm saying that a stock grand national is probably going to win 2 out of 3 vs a stock 03 srt 4. A stock 04-05 srt 4 would probably then beat the stock gn 2 out of 3 is my guess. That would mean the stock 03 srt4 would have about a 1 out of 6 chance to beat an 04-05 srt4 in my opinion. Thats basically the way I see it, and it seems logical to me.
Gotcha,thanks for the explanation! I know the fastest car doesn't always win. Thats what makes it interesting. I remember when my son's SRT was running in 12.8s and he smacked a Viper at a Mopar event. You wanna see a guy with money upset :D this was it ! He cried so much to the officals they told my son no IMPORTS are allowed! They gave him his money back and told him he couldn't race anymore! The Viper owner must have been a attorney to convince them that a SRT wasn't a Mopar.