Stock GN vs SRT-4???

Originally posted by mrstage1
To whomever was asking; The CTS-V is a performance version of the CTS. Has the LS6 engine from the Vette ZO6(rated at 400hp in this car)6 spd trans, 18 inch wheels, performance tuned suspension(also lowered. Ride height is killer. IMHO) some body mods(rockers, grille, front and rear spoilers) etc. Our dealer finally got the one in I've been pestering them about. Black exterior with charcoal leather. Went down and had me a look and drive session. I'm no newbie when it comes to performance cars( have a prepped 70 Stage1 GS a 9 sec. Stage1 powered Nova and a twinturbo smallblock 8 second Camaro at my disposal as well as my daily driver 12 second 300 dollar in mods 87 TType.) This new CTS was impressive. Acceleration was, if not brutal, very strong. My dealer is a bud so I got to TEST the capabilities of the car a bit. I'd give this vehicle a clean low 13 to high 12 in the 1/4 if you know how to "drive" a stick. With the traction control off the car makes looooooong black marks through 1st, 2nd and will get about 25 feet of black on a 3rd gear powershift. Driven for best acceleration youhave to feater the throttle through 1st, shortshift 2nd and mat the throttle and hold on. Trap speeds feel like high 100's. Only a trip down the track would tell the story however as the seat-of- the pants meter is only within a few 10ths and MPH usually. Handling for it's size was as good as it's looks indicate. Rode decent for such short sidewall tires. Body roll was minimal. Took it down a few twisties by our local lake(being mindful of slick winter asphalt) and liked the way the car could be put on line in the coener and throttle control the butt on the way out. In short, I was impressed. Car feels very refined in it's performance. No coarseness to speak of. Felt more German. Like Beemer. I told my wife that "I got to get me one of these". She immediately threw up her hands. I never Really thought about dropping 50 large on anything new except a Z06.... Til now. She knows I'm serious and that scares her. To anyone who gets a chance to drive one, do it. America has a 4 door that to me, anyway, can compete with the European high end cars favorably.

Wow!! How many will they make? Will it be a mass produced car?

Originally posted by I eat Z06
I forgot to mention that in a crash the newer cars will be damaged alot more than the older cars that dont have crumple zones. A way to save lifes and make more money. Underneath the G35 Sprt Coupe is a 350Z. And it can be had with the exact upgrades as the 350Z Track model. The G35 has 7 hp less and all the luxury components add weight. The Infinity will be pretty quick and it is a damn good lookin car. Nothing a Turbo Buick cant handle.

Nick
I currently have a 04 G35 MT6 Coupe w/brembo brakes (gotta love them brakes!!!!).
Yah, GNs are a more than a handfull in a straight line, being a former TR owner myself (still looking for another :)) On a road course? I beg to differ.

i raced a kawasaki zx-6r the other night. . . . . . . . .
my mostly stock GN didnt lose. from about 50mph-120mph. weird.

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
i raced a kawasaki zx-6r the other night. . . . . . . . .
my mostly stock GN didnt lose. from about 50mph-120mph. weird.
I've raced a couple of 03 cobras from a 70mph roll to 172 (indicated...prolly like 165'ish real time), didnt lose either. all I have is a PCIII and a yosh slip-on. showroom stock, my 636R did a 10.7 1st time out down the ¼mi. with my PCIII and slip on, I've done 10.2-3.

as for my G35, showroom stock for showroom stock race with a GN, it would be a close race down the drag strip. I've made low 14 sec passes, with gobs of wheel spin. but i'll give kudos to the GN as being a more easily modified car to go fast (in a straight line)

14 sec seems to be the norm now a days for a performance vehicle.

This topic no longer seems to be about GN vs. SRT-4

Originally posted by inzanesrt4
14 sec seems to be the norm now a days for a performance vehicle.

This topic no longer seems to be about GN vs. SRT-4
heh....I was searching for topics pertaining to the G35 and came up on this thread.

Its a nice vehicle. I'm unfamiliar with your location, but if you were in the 47 N ; 122 W. I would recommend a shop called Car Nutz, they have a project g35 they are fitting with a Twin Turbo set up.

Tryin to talk my dad into either a G35 and TT'in it or a CTS-V. Those G35's are such pretty vehicles. I think they look much better than the Z. Even though they are a tick slower. I got the brembo's on the STi and I cannot agree more with you about the love that they create.

Nick

The 2005 G35 sport coupes w/mt6 will get a 15hp boost to 295hp. that's all nice and dandy, but from what "rumors" say...the Brembos are no longer available for the G35 coupes. I'd rather keep the Brembos vs. adding 15hp. :rolleyes: IMO the G35 makes exceptional power. It just needs a little more help in suspension tweaks. For sh*ts and giggles, the G35 coupe is faster than the 350Z in the long run. the 350Z is quicker. I read an article about how the Aero Dynamics between the cars play a major role in it's top speed; the G35 coupe having less drag, and with the Aero Package, it lessens drag a tad bit more. One of these days I'll find that article again. I dont know much about the developement on the CTS-V. I've read some articles about it. I do know that the CTS cars in the SCCA GT series is a car worthy Road Racing, leading in front of a pack of Corvette C5Rs.

inzanesrt4, my coordinates are in Ewa Beach, Hawaii :)

I agree, I would much rather have Brembo's than 15hp. You can get some exhaust work to achive 15hp for alot less cash than 4 brembo's.
Here are some key points on the CTS-V.
LS6
6 speed manual
Brembo's
Tighter suspension
18" wheels
Top speed: 163mph
0-60: 4.9
1/4 mile: 13.3
~$50,000

Nick

i only read the first page so i dont know if his has already been said but ieatz06 said that a stock wrx will beat a srt4? i dont think so, a good driver in a stock wrx will run 14.4s maybee and trap around 95 ( my friend ran 14.7 at 92) and srt4 are easily running 100-103 if not more and 14.3 to 14.0 . so i dont thik this is possibly i beat my friends wrx after a down pipe intake flashed ecu and a front mount on the freeway and my car is slow ( he beat me at the track by two tenths) 13.5.

The first page was october of 2003. SRT didnt have LSD yet. Since LSD the SRT is quicker than the WRX. Before it the WRX would gain more ground off the launch than the SRT could catch up with. This is from personal experience. I never raced my 03 at the track (too scared to brake the trans) so all my experiences were on Michigan roads.

Nick

make sense i have seen all kinds at the track srt's running anywhere from 15.70's to 14.00 i have also never seen a evo or sti run what they are capable of becouse of what seemed to me to be the driver ?

I ran a 13.2@101 with the STi when it was stock. I still had my all seasons on it from the winter instead of the stock track tires. So I think my 60ft could be better than the constant 1.7x's that I was pullin.

Nick

Just speculating, Nick, but it's POSSIBLE that the all-season's might help your overall time by allowing a bit of tire slip off the line, keeping the engine in the powerband, rather than the tires biting and it having the potential to bog the engine more.

I smoked the front two off the line, and got rubber out of them goin into second. With the stock tires on the street I get a screetch and nothing out of 2nd. With the 6spd you can put more stress on it than the 5spd. I usually launch around 5K, so the car is in the powerband instantly. I usually slip the clutch a little longer to prevent bogging and for it to take a beating so the trans dosnt have to. I think the only thing that the all seasons helped was the life of my drivetrain.

Nick

Originally posted by ez at nova
Just speculating, Nick, but it's POSSIBLE that the all-season's might help your overall time

Sorry for not totally addressing this in the last post. It is possible, but doubtful.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
This is the fastest SRT 4 on that site.

12.423 @ 111.97| 1.863 | 26x6x15 Drag slicks | Route 66 Dragway, IL | Mopar S1, T3T4E turbo, log manifold, DM Motor mounts, Tial 35mm WG, Full 3" turboback exhaust, Nitrous Express 75 shot (WET) and Blackdog CAI

That motor isnt gonna last long. And for only 12 second 1/4 mile runs. The WRX STi runs 13.2's stock. With under a grand the WRX can get a full exhaust (up pipe, catless down pipe, cat back) from reputable companies, and drop the e/t's. The fastest WRX ran a 9.60 @ 144.7mph 1/4 mile time. I really dont like those SRT-4's. After all they are still Neons

Which means your words can be taken with a grain of salt considering you are already biased against the SRT-4.