Stock GN vs SRT-4???

Focus is RWD

Yes they are RWD. Ford wants to compete with the Honda and STI group. If ford put this thing into production they will be selling like hotcakes.
:cool:

Top speed of STI

I know they got a low 390 drive axles so they have to be almost in 5th gear thru the Quarter. anything after that the crobra will eat it. Yes the Crobra is supercharge. Like the above post said, tractions is biggest problem on these cars. With some slicks and the cobra will eat it thru the 1/4.

My guess for the slow launch with SVT is so much torque and not enough traction. Top end on STi is 140 (governed) like all WRX's. Some kick in at 135, my 03 is at 139, and others above 150. Luck of the draw in top end with subie.

Nick

Slow launch is due to poor driving. Many of us regularly cut 1.90s. I have been in the 1.80s, and some have went 1.70s....... this is all with factory-issued Eagle F1s.
On the top end, my money is on the Cobra.

I ran an SRT-4 not too long ago at the track. He ran:

Reaction .609
60' 2.44
330' 6.27
1/8 9.43
MPH 78.41

Decent mph for that ET

My mom offered to buy me an SRT-4 if I gave up my GN (and I'd get to keep the money from the sale since I bought the GN). She wants me driving a new car. I said no for several reasons:

1) No posi
2) Front wheel drive
3) It is ugly, a GN looks 10 times better
4) It is a neon
5) A GN has a nice big backseat... :D

Though I think it is amazing that a 4 banger is so fast in stock form and the price is a bargain.

Sell the GN. Let your mom buy you the SRT-4. Turn around and but another GN with money from your previous GN sale!!! :D Ok, so maybe your mom wouldn't like that one......

Now I have never seen a stock GN run at the track so it's hard for me to judge, but i went to the track a couple of months ago and saw a evo 7,srt 4 and 350 Z make passes. My memory is not a 100% so times may be slightly off but should be fairly close, and I don't remember being that impressed with any of the 3 cars, the srt 4 went appx 14.7, the evo 7 went a high 13, and I seem to remember the 350 Z being considerably slower than both the evo and the srt. I am 100% sure drivers and weather come into affect, but all that matters is what time a real drive puts up not what some race driver puts up in perfect weather conditions, and if realistically a normal driver can put up a low 14 on a Gn By my math a Gn would run slightly faster than a Srt, would be slightly slower than a Evo, and a 350 Z I wouldn't even worrry about. Just my thoughts and experiences,

Brian
P.S I am writing this post at 3:20 in the morning so gramatical errors will be present, so I apolgize ahead of time, but grammer does not what take away from what I saw so take post at a factual standpoint.

Originally posted by BGN8711
Now I have never seen a stock GN run at the track so it's hard for me to judge, but i went to the track a couple of months ago and saw a evo 7,srt 4 and 350 Z make passes. My memory is not a 100% so times may be slightly off but should be fairly close, and I don't remember being that impressed with any of the 3 cars, the srt 4 went appx 14.7, the evo 7 went a high 13, and I seem to remember the 350 Z being considerably slower than both the evo and the srt. I am 100% sure drivers and weather come into affect, but all that matters is what time a real drive puts up not what some race driver puts up in perfect weather conditions, and if realistically a normal driver can put up a low 14 on a Gn By my math a Gn would run slightly faster than a Srt, would be slightly slower than a Evo, and a 350 Z I wouldn't even worrry about. Just my thoughts and experiences,

Brian
P.S I am writing this post at 3:20 in the morning so gramatical errors will be present, so I apolgize ahead of time, but grammer does not what take away from what I saw so take post at a factual standpoint.

If that's the best those three cars can do, then that track is either at a high altitude or has problems with traction, because those cars are all running slower than they should be. I'd bet a stock GN would ET somewhere between the Evo and the SRT-4. Trap would probably be similar to the SRT-4.

Originally posted by MistaScott
My mom offered to buy me an SRT-4 if I gave up my GN (and I'd get to keep the money from the sale since I bought the GN). She wants me driving a new car. I said no for several reasons:

1) No posi

All New SRT-4's have a Posi. Only the '03's don't

hopeful,

I am close to sea level in So-California, Like i said times may be a little faster but not by much I'm sure that driving came into affect, a llooottt of really bad driving that night. A lot of the drivers weren't revving hard enough on launch(including the evo and srt driver), S2000's were running low 16's in a supposedly 14 second car, I'm not saying that these cars aren't faster, Just telling everyone my input with these particular cars, I should be going to the track again soon and will watch for better times.

Sincerely,
Brian

Originally posted by BGN8711
hopeful,

I am close to sea level in So-California, Like i said times may be a little faster but not by much I'm sure that driving came into affect, a llooottt of really bad driving that night. A lot of the drivers weren't revving hard enough on launch(including the evo and srt driver), S2000's were running low 16's in a supposedly 14 second car, I'm not saying that these cars aren't faster, Just telling everyone my input with these particular cars, I should be going to the track again soon and will watch for better times.

Sincerely,
Brian

No doubt, and I wasn't saying that I don't believe you, I was merely observing that all those cars were running slower than they logically should be, given good drivers of course.

I was wrong about the STi top end. I thought it was 140. The speedo in my WRX goes to 140, in my STi it goes to 160. I assume it is goverend higher, maybee 155?

Nick

Well now that all the flaming and everything has settled down figured I could post on this with some experience. I have had 91 turbo dodge (spirit r/t) with 700.00 in mods (exhaust, mbc, injectors, remapped ecu and DIY intake) it ran a 13.6 at 104 mph burning the tires halfway down the track. The nice thing about it was I beat the hell out of that car and it just kept going. The car had almost 90,000 miles on it. But that was about as fast as I was going to get it reliably and it was never going to hook great on the street. After that one I wanted a car that hooked and got the first of several AWD dsm's. I was able to just to beat my best (R/T) time pretty easily with spending just a little more on about the same mods (and a clutch). But after getting the much bigger turbo and the needed hardware to go with it I was always having driveline or clutch problems (2 boken driveshafts and a few clutches) and even though it was very fast (only got a mid 12 with it but it was an easy 11 sec car) it was no where near as fun to drive (very stiff clutch, more lag ect) as my GN. Now I have the GN and have not done a whole lot to it but its already well ahead of the R/T and the DSM (first round mods) for about the same money spent. But now instead of having to spend as much for 4 fuel injectors as I can get 6 for and a turbo that flows much more for a good bit less I will be going faster than the DSM heavily modded.

1 thing is, what will the resale value be on it be when its 18 yrs old? I will bet you anything not much. I cannot think of any sport compact save maybe the newer RX7's and Supra's (which as stated earlier are not really the same class as a WRX, Lancer or SRT) that holds any value after awhile.

And 2 is that when you do start modding them as soon as you get to have to be upgrading turbo's, clutches and cams ect they start getting more and more a pain in the ass to drive around town in traffic which is another great thing about the GN's. The big thing to me is how many people as soon as they find out I have one they say "Damn you got a GN" It is not buzzy like any of the turbo 4's and a real kick just cruising around in unlike them as well. I have a good friend who just bought a blue 04 SRT and don't get me wrong it's a cool ride and might be as fast stock. But it's no GN.

Just thought I would post my .01. :)

tuff guy. Watch out for the imports that have the money, that have they support. I love my GN but, the new technology leaves the sock GN stuck. I love my GN, I also love my STi. My STi would whoop the **** out of my GN if it wasnt stock. If you are stock watch out.

Nick

but one of the biggest points im trying to make is that you can buy a GN or Turbo T, mod the **** out of it, and still come out better than buying an STI. that is one of the greatest things about it.

Totally agree, if you go out spend the same money on a GN and STi a $15,000 GN and put $15,000 into it, the STi will see a black ass. My point is that not everyone on this board in the mid to high 12's or better to run from lightly modded STi's. The Subies react to mods like Buicks do, just not as well as buicks do. Remember that pink badged subarus are fast.

Nick