Stock GN vs SRT-4???

The big three need to see what Subaru/Mitsubishi is doing, look back 30 years to what they were doing, combine the two and start making more factory rockets. Remember how you could get a car without a radio, opt for light weight materials, opt for a bigger motor, get spoilers (suber bird). Maybee the camaro/ Trans Am would still be around if GM made some factory rocket versions. The SVT with some fat trimmed off would be faster than the STi. The GTO with a Judge package maybee? If you want performance from America you have to spend over 35 grand. Modern age muscle is changing to FWD and AWD, and the big three are not doing much to stop the change. I will jump off the soap box now.

Nick

Wow this has turned into a GN vs. STI thread.
My thought to what zo6 has said about the big three american car makers I believe is correct to a point. One thing is you are comparing Subaru's fastest car (STI) and most expensive(not sure) to Ford, GM, and Chryslers(guessing this is the big three you were pointing out) to these company's lower end cars. AWD is becoming the new fad and I believe it is here to stay. I believe in 2006 the Big three will have subaru trying to keep up. The Subaru (all around good vehicle) is what they are aiming for or to surpass. They want a chunck of that market. Mitsubishi is kept afloat and a competitor because of alliance with DCX.

Just curious what is the fastest anyone has got a GN?, WRX?,STI? Race car driver or what ever in the 1/4 mile? I know WRX,STI are designed for curves and autocross and all that but 90% of the owners are not doing that so I ask 1/4 mile. Straight line.

The SRT-4 ran low 8's driven by shawn Carlson. This car is not an assembly line car but shows that engine is strong. I am not trying to compare cars with this question but when I do search I find different numbers and GN not really doing a tube chasis type thing so I decided I would ask you guys.

Nice! thanks Randy I searched and found nothing for tube chasis GN. No media coverage I guess.

By the way I was just sent this video of Modded SRT-4 vs. Modded STI in a street race. From a stop it shows what the $10,000 is for. I will find out exact modds for both cars and edit post if anyone wants to know.

http://members.cox.net/urbubble/SRT4vsSTI.wmv

SRT-4 MODS:...stage 1, mopar bov, aem intake, agp wga at 17lbs, motor mount inserts, duh, stereo, uh, wheels, ah, radar detector, CF shift knob, dirt in the floormats, haha, sorry.

STI MODS:...Well, I was the STi in the aforementioned videos. My modifications as far as performance were HKS Cat back......Miscelaneous mods were Forge BOV, Blitz DTT-DCII, Greddy Boost Gauge, Oh also dirty floor mats like the SRT.

The fastest WRX in the 1/4 mile was 9.57 by easy street motorsports. That car still has all its accessories in the car and carpet. It is also on the origional chassis, not tube. The GTO is a little more than an STi and isnt faster, for this I am happy as an STi owner, but GM should have gave it the Z06 motor like they did with the CTS-R.

Nick

The GTO is faster than the WRX(non sti) and the SRT in the mag I read. Also said it would have the Z06 motor next year. That should make it faster than the the STI. Stock of course.

There are a bunch of GN's in the 8's and a couple in the 7's if my memory is correct. As crazy as it sounds think an 8 sec GN is MUCH easier, cheaper and more streetable than any 8 sec import by a long shot.

Judging from that video i'd have to say if that srt got traction it would have kept up with that sti. But oh well, i'd rather stick with my gn, better resale of it, considerin we all know how many gn,t type, etc were made in the years. so think about that. and since those srt's and sellin like hot cakes they won't be worth much in the upcoming years ya know. and by the way, what is a CTS-R?? i work at a cadillac,chevy,olds,buick dealership and never heard of it. i have however heard of the xlr which shares the same chassis setup as the vette. and it's got the ls1 if i remember correctly. but got help us all if gm thinks of making a awd performance car. from what i see at work those damn things would be breaking like crazy, or else gm would build it so quick that it would have a ton of recalls with it. oh well, my .02 is get a sold rust free gn, mod the suspension, make it handle good and ride good, get a set of drag radials on it, whip in a good running drivetrain and there is a car that is worth something and the value is just going to increase, and that is still respectable on the street. but yet, the true question is, for how long? the was technology is changing who knows.

I did not feel like back through all the post but I have seen low's on an STI and mid to high 13's on a SRT. How is it already faster? And as far as the fat couldn't you not trim some off the STI as well? The lighter and faster they are I would think the AWD would start to become a bigger and bigger factor. LSD or not.

Of course the STi would be faster if more weight was taken off. But I was saying if the 03 Cobra was like the Cobra R a few years back w/o all the luxurys (radio, back seat, a/c, and so on) it would have beat the STi goin straight. I didnt know the exact name of the new caddy CTS with the Z06 motor in it and a six speed manual, but have read about it in motor trend, car and driver, road and track. Supposed to come out this year or next. Not talkin about the XLR (should have kept origional name Evoq).

Nick

I thought the newest top of the line cobra ran 12's right off the showroom floor.

It does. I did it..... so have many others.

But I was saying if the 03 Cobra was like the Cobra R a few years back w/o all the luxurys (radio, back seat, a/c, and so on) it would have beat the STi goin straight.

It did and it does. If you're trying to base a comparison off the Hot Rod article, you're misinformed. Continually giving the impression that the STi is faster in a straight line is simply incorrect. The first 60' is going to the AWD, after that it's all Cobra. Of course, I've taken STi's off the line, but that was due to driving ability.

I edited my post on the sti vs srt-4 video

SRT-4 MODS:...stage 1, mopar bov, aem intake, agp wga at 17lbs, motor mount inserts, duh, stereo, uh, wheels, ah, radar detector, CF shift knob, dirt in the floormats, haha, sorry.

STI MODS:...Well, I was the STi in the aforementioned videos. My modifications as far as performance were HKS Cat back......Miscelaneous mods were Forge BOV, Blitz DTT-DCII, Greddy Boost Gauge, Oh also dirty floor mats like the SRT.

My Bro has a Neon SRT-4 and he runs about a 14.0 stock, with him in the car, a GN runs anwere from 13.5 to 14.0 stock, the neons are really weird on their shifting, and if its an 03 you will win, if its an 04 i duno but you should beat the 03 since the 03 doesnt have a LSD the 04, however does, if you get a good launch you should take em! good luck bro! :D

To whomever was asking; The CTS-V is a performance version of the CTS. Has the LS6 engine from the Vette ZO6(rated at 400hp in this car)6 spd trans, 18 inch wheels, performance tuned suspension(also lowered. Ride height is killer. IMHO) some body mods(rockers, grille, front and rear spoilers) etc. Our dealer finally got the one in I've been pestering them about. Black exterior with charcoal leather. Went down and had me a look and drive session. I'm no newbie when it comes to performance cars( have a prepped 70 Stage1 GS a 9 sec. Stage1 powered Nova and a twinturbo smallblock 8 second Camaro at my disposal as well as my daily driver 12 second 300 dollar in mods 87 TType.) This new CTS was impressive. Acceleration was, if not brutal, very strong. My dealer is a bud so I got to TEST the capabilities of the car a bit. I'd give this vehicle a clean low 13 to high 12 in the 1/4 if you know how to "drive" a stick. With the traction control off the car makes looooooong black marks through 1st, 2nd and will get about 25 feet of black on a 3rd gear powershift. Driven for best acceleration youhave to feater the throttle through 1st, shortshift 2nd and mat the throttle and hold on. Trap speeds feel like high 100's. Only a trip down the track would tell the story however as the seat-of- the pants meter is only within a few 10ths and MPH usually. Handling for it's size was as good as it's looks indicate. Rode decent for such short sidewall tires. Body roll was minimal. Took it down a few twisties by our local lake(being mindful of slick winter asphalt) and liked the way the car could be put on line in the coener and throttle control the butt on the way out. In short, I was impressed. Car feels very refined in it's performance. No coarseness to speak of. Felt more German. Like Beemer. I told my wife that "I got to get me one of these". She immediately threw up her hands. I never Really thought about dropping 50 large on anything new except a Z06.... Til now. She knows I'm serious and that scares her. To anyone who gets a chance to drive one, do it. America has a 4 door that to me, anyway, can compete with the European high end cars favorably.

Base Price, USD $48,000 Engine Type 16-valve V8
Powertrain Layout front engine/rwd Displacement, cc 5665
Horsepower@rpm 400@6000 Torque lb-ft@rpm 390@4800
Curb Weight, lb 3847 0-60 mph, sec 4.7
1/4 mile, sec@mph 13.1@109 600 ft slalom, mph -
60-0 mph, ft - Top Speed, mph 155

JUST FOUNDS THIS, ITS SOME INFO ON THE CTS-V

Well, I read a lot of belly-aching and finger-pointing and "my penis is bigger than your penis" arguments, but all those cars still don't have half the class of a GN. Subaru's and Mitsu's and Neon SRT-4's all all fine and dandy, but they're just the b!tch of the street, like Hondas, only a bit faster and not as embarassing to own.

STi's and EVO's are almost 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile than civics, and over 1 second than S2000's.

Nick