Stock GN vs SRT-4???

Ive driven them, raced against them, read about them, and saw their crash test video's. I am not a fan of the car. I will give a biased opinion.

Nick

To make you feel better, I like them more than every Honda (except S2000).

srt4 pushed to max by factory???

Whoever said the srt-4 was pushed to the max be the factory needs to make a quick trip to the nearest newstand. One of the impot magazines has a factory tuned (by dodge) srt-4 that has 400 plus hp on the cover (yet it looked like a sock neon) maybe they will make it a factory option. :D Even if the 400hp option cost like 10gs won't the 400hp srt4 still be cheaper then a loaded sti or evo, that is hilarious. The srt-4 is one of the best buys ever. big props to dodge or picking up gms slack. Maybe a srt-4 will be in my driveway this summer. Nah, probably another turbo regal:D

Thats what I'm trying to say. There are two 500HP SRT's in Cali and Two other in the US that I know of. I love my SRT. I would perfer it have RWD but life cant be perfect.

Sorry if this is off topic, but what does a well-maintained GN run in the 1/4 stock?

As for the EVO, I heard of them running as high as 13.9 stock. Just a random fact.

Would we be able to hold with a EVO of that sort?

Originally posted by marleyskater420
Sorry if this is off topic, but what does a well-maintained GN run in the 1/4 stock?

As for the EVO, I heard of them running as high as 13.9 stock. Just a random fact.

Who ever runs a gn stock??? Even the people who want to keep them close to stock usually have a adjustable wastgate which will get them into the 12,s with the correct fuel.

If you go to supercars.net or one of them websites like that they have the sti as being comproable to the gnx. Man, all that performance packed in a 4cl. What size turbos do the sti or evo come with stock (too lazy to look it up).

Originally posted by marleyskater420

In 1987 my brother in laws T Type ran14.23 stock! Stock for stock the Evo would have it's way with a G.N.

Some TR's ran upper 13's stock. I had one that had a best of 13.80's pure stock, no mods whatsoever, ran on the tires it came with. Most were very low 14's but I do think some magazines had test numbers anywhere from 13.6 or so (for a GN) to around 14.0, a little better for a GNX.

Evo's, WRX-STi's, and SRT-4's should not be taken lightly by anyone. They are quick and even though many may make fun of them for being small, they can still kill an unsuspecting TR driver.

If I had the room in the garage, I would definitely have either an STi or an SRT-4, most likely the Subie.

The difference from the STi's turbo response and the GN's. The STi seems to have almost no lag, it is always ready to boost. Whereas we all know how the GN kicks your butt into the seat a little ways up in the power band. With the stock turbo and a front mount intercooler the STi's lag is still less than the GN's with a TA49 and stock i/c.

Nick

I have heard from a few STI owners that they tend to shift at lower RPM's 6100 or so to feel the power so my guess is less power in the high rpms. Maybe its just the 6 speed.

The SRT has a mitsubishi 16g but spins in the opposite direction. Spools up very quick low boost in the 1500 -1800 rpms.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
The difference from the STi's turbo response and the GN's. The STi seems to have almost no lag, it is always ready to boost. Whereas we all know how the GN kicks your butt into the seat a little ways up in the power band. With the stock turbo and a front mount intercooler the STi's lag is still less than the GN's with a TA49 and stock i/c.

Nick

I think that has more to do with the boost drop across the core than the turbo itself. A front mount with a much more efficient core and smooth fairly straight pipes can have less lag.

Also these cars are 17 years old. A bone stock GN brand new was rated at 355 lb-ft at 2K rpms. I remember my friends brand new 87 GN in highschool and it launched of idle like an explosion happened in the trunk.

Nothing a little stall can't cure. My turbocharged 99 GT had a T-76 & 3200 stall converter and roasted the tires into 3rd gear off idle.

Stock it does spike, then loose some boost in the higher RPM's. With my comp, it has a automatic boost controller, and it sticks all the way to red. With my fmic, I have alot more lag than with the stock top mount.

Nick

i wanna play

I dont see whats wrong with these kids today. I am 7 yrs 10 months and 3 days :) I figured i would start this the way the thread started. Iknow a bunch of people with STIs and SRT-4s and similar cars that ive seen smoke new vettes. I still would rather have a GN but i have had way too many different vehicles to mention and even though i wouldnt want a NEON i still respect these cars. theres been alot of technology in the past 18 years and even more aftermarket stuff for these cars. As far as comparing stock vehicles, who cares. If you really appreciate your car whatever it might be and know how to mod it and take care of it thats most important. Ive seen alot of old gns and montes roll up at a car show filled with newer cars and it always gets a reaction as it should. When someone can build what they want and still keep it looking and running that good it shouldnt be compared to what little johnys parents just bought him at the dealership
With that being said all of you guys with the most impressive GNs should go out now and get a new SRT-4 or WRX and sell me your GN cheap. Im willing to help you out and take it off your hands

If you really appreciate your car whatever it might be and know how to mod it and take care of it thats most important. Ive seen alot of old gns and montes roll up at a car show filled with newer cars and it always gets a reaction as it should. When someone can build what they want and still keep it looking and running that good it shouldnt be compared to what little johnys parents just bought him at the dealership

i think saleen01 summed it up perfectly

thread closed:D

If you really appreciate your car whatever it might be and know how to mod it and take care of it thats most important. Ive seen alot of old gns and montes roll up at a car show filled with newer cars and it always gets a reaction as it should. When someone can build what they want and still keep it looking and running that good it shouldnt be compared to what little johnys parents just bought him at the dealership

i think saleen01 summed it up perfectly

thread closed:D