Repeat procedure.

BUMP!
....you guys are making me seriously consider turning my simple 79 rebuild into a blow-thru monster!
So after scoring an E-brock 4bbl intake for $45 :biggrin:, I started searching for some used stock GN headers. Couldn't find any, but did find these headers that appear the same as the ones Adam is using. Are these the same? Sounds like a great deal. What do you guys think?
86 87 BUICK GRAND V6 GN STAINLESS EXHAUST HEADER T-TYPE:eBay Motors (item 170408492092 end time Jan-16-10 16:09:49 PST)

Attachments

• GN headers.jpg
    GN headers.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 374
I started searching for some used stock GN headers. Couldn't find any, but did find these headers that appear the same as the ones Adam is using. Are these the same? Sounds like a great deal. What do you guys think?

Never mind.... just did a search on 'Chinese headers' and decided the stock GN ones would be better for me...
...Unless there are 'good' chinese headers out there?

NO!
Those most likely are made in China, Japan, etc But they are good. Not the same company I bought mine from Walt however those are the same headers. They are good pieces! They are thick enough where they need to be, flanges are good and thick and haven't warped, The v band connections are sweet and they fit the block, heads, and chassis very well. I've NEVER had them crack on me and I've ran some very serious LEAN engine pulls through these headers EGT's VERY HIGH and they are resilient.

The only difference I see between the headers on my car and these is: The primary header tube for #2 cylinder is one piece on my headers and this one is in two.

I'm gonna try getting someone to post a how to on doing the cheapo ebay headers. I've heard the fit isn't quite right and take a little bit off modification to fit.

Those headers sure do LOOK nice! Are they a copy of a US design? ...I gotta do some research. Such as tube size and whether they are designed for hi flow or hi rpm use, or will they work fine for a near-stock GN turbo.
I wasn't planning to go too wild on my 79, but that can be easily changed by changing exhaust and induction components.
....you guys are a bad influence!:tongue:

If you aren't worried about them looking like crap after a few years they'd be ok. I'd rather hog out the stockers and have them coated.

We aren't a bad influence, we're helping you with your dreams. LOL Adam, Aj, and myself joined all about the same time but it took a little time to hook up on the board. Jesse has joined in as well and we have a few guys that come and go but the three of us have been the most consistant posters in this section. Wish we could get a few more that would hang around but no luck so far.

I plan on sticking around... I have been coming to this site for a couple years looking for info... but never joined:eek: I don`t F`n know why not:biggrin: anyway... I love this setup WarWagon... Did you custom make the pipes or did you buy them? and what kind of metallic paint did you use on the valve covers, rattle can or paint gun? Looks awesome:cool:

I plan on sticking around... I have been coming to this site for a couple years looking for info... but never joined:eek: I don`t F`n know why not:biggrin: anyway... I love this setup WarWagon... Did you custom make the pipes or did you buy them? and what kind of metallic paint did you use on the valve covers, rattle can or paint gun? Looks awesome:cool:

According to Adam it's Duplicolor Mirage and it's not available now.:frown: Looks good but it only holds up for a couple of years.:frown: As far as sticking around, I hope both you and Matt stick around.:biggrin: I've been on here for a little over 2 years learning and posting but sooner or later I'll be a ghost to some degree. I need to make more money so that means I'll be doing more side work.:frown: That means less time on the site since I'm on dial right now but hopefully I'll be on a faster system.:biggrin: We'll see what happens though.

According to Adam it's Duplicolor Mirage and it's not available now.:frown: Looks good but it only holds up for a couple of years.:frown: As far as sticking around, I hope both you and Matt stick around.:biggrin: I've been on here for a little over 2 years learning and posting but sooner or later I'll be a ghost to some degree. I need to make more money so that means I'll be doing more side work.:frown: That means less time on the site since I'm on dial right now but hopefully I'll be on a faster system.:biggrin: We'll see what happens though.

Damn:mad: I was going to get me a can of that... I`m sure I could find it somewhere. Engine paint will fade and chip too, just not as fast. Wait... dial-up still exist?:eek: LOL I`m j/k:biggrin: Times are hard, I should know, I live in MI:( I got laid-off Nov 08 and haven't worked a day since:eek: I`m on SSI for my back and knees, but they want to take that from me(they took my Medicaid away) idk what ill do if its all gone. I guess finish my collage classes while I still can and move back down to FL and find a descent job.

Yes you are right. I did made the down pipe and the rest of the complete exhuast and all the intake plumbing along with the cold air intake even though it's plastic. Charlie is right about the paint! The color coat was the only thing is rattle bomb.

Nice:biggrin: I`m going to have to customize the down pipe I have, so I don`t have to use the stupid cat:D I would like to do a blowthru sometime next year... one step at a time.

if you cant get the paint make it. all that paint is just pearl. you can get pearl cheep on ebay. i will send directions on how to use it if someone wants. i been doing custom paint for some years now its a cool effect.

These chameleon paint custom paint powders can give you color changing paint for much less cost.
heat reactive paint
Thermochromic | Temperature change | pigments for the ultimate in color changing custom paint!
youtube example of this
YouTube - Heat Sensitive Classic Flames

there are alot of sites that sell pearl pigment i just posted the links to the stuff i use i will post a pic of someones car i did with it. you can see the purple come over the blue in the sun, very cool effect. sorry its a honda.i think the guy has this pic on his site; i sent it to him.:confused:

Attachments

• hondapic.jpg
    hondapic.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 382