PTE 6265 swap from 5857

I had a 6765... put it on and with the wastegate set at what should have been 18-19 psi the car was going to 30psi+ and quickly too. I had to crack the gas to avoid more. The minor porting I did got the spike down to 3psi and 2psi of creep down the track. I was using 110 and meth so the inital testing had some cushion. Its not a huge amount of work to take it back off, but you may want to reconsider. Just want to let you know what could happen.:)

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,364
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,343
Thanks I really appreciate the advice, guess I'm going to pull it back off.
So if you port to your puck it seems a matched set, or do most wastegates have the same puck specs. I ask because I was just wondering how this would effect used turbo's? If someone else ported their turbo and you bought it, it may not actually work for your application? Or what if you replace your down pipe?
Or if all the specs are close why wouldn't PTE just do this? Just wondering, I'll start pulling it off tomorrow.

Your story is a pretty scarey possibility. Stupid question.... what about installing a BOV as a safety net? Vent back after the MAF? This seems easy enough and cheap insurance?

Thanks I really appreciate the advice, guess I'm going to pull it back off.
So if you port to your puck it seems a matched set, or do most wastegates have the same puck specs. I ask because I was just wondering how this would effect used turbo's? If someone else ported their turbo and you bought it, it may not actually work for your application?
Or if all the specs are close why wouldn't PTE just do this? Just wondering, I'll start pulling it off tomorrow.

Yes, depending on how much you increase the hole. I see a lot of pucks the same size(diameter) but the position in the downpipe differs a bit brand to brand. This is why PTE makes them small. I think they use the stock elbow as a template so it will work with them too.

I had purchased a used turbo and the puck in my downpipe would not completely cover the whole. This caused slow spool and limited the amount of boost it would make 22-24psi max. A new housing was close to $250! I tried the RJC block off as a gasket that I was going to re-drill the hole. Well, it was stainless steel and I wasnt able to get it cut right to fix my issue....Fail:redface: I ordered the large puck from RJC and had TurboBuRick install it for me. You can see the outline of the puck in the pics...huge.

It could have been ugly lol. That's why I wanted you to avoid seeing the needle peg. Blow the headgaskets and porting the hole is the least of your issues. The blow off valve is not needed nor will it help. It diverts the pressure after you close the throttle. The ported shroud you have is all you need in my opinion. I had it on my 6765, and have it on the one I have now. It also makes for a louder whistle when it starts spooling.

Did you have the RJC boost valve installed at the time?
Before the swap I tried using a RJC boost controller and couldn't get it to boost below 21 psi. I turned it out so far it unscrewed and the spring and ball shot out and ran for their life. I think the postioning of the WG right now on this turbo is odd and binding. I noticed on the 5857 the WG was tweaked to make it a perfiect alignment. I wonder if you had a compound problem of the boost controller and binding WG. And the porting fixed it in a round about way? It seems so many port on this site I'm probably wrong.

I didn't have the RJC on at first. I got it at like 6pm from the UPS location and was "alley testing" by 8pm. I put it on and it did the same thing so I know it had little to no effect. I have added washers to my RJC valve to add more tension on the spring which gives it a higher max boost limit. That a whole nother thread lol.

You can loosen the compressor housing bolts to move it to help alighn the outlet and wastegate. Positioin it and snug the back to how they were. Not too tight, they will strip. My alignment was fine on the gate. The outlet on the tube was a tad off visually but it never caused a problem. The pipe and turbo touch the hose is like the sealer.:) I could have ported more and had no spike or creep but I sold it for $750:eek:

Damn you gave it away. Well at least this time it should go quicker, pulling it off. Here is a pic of the 5857, no porting at all, and never creep. Even after I do port it, the BOV idea as a safety net seems like a good idea? Backup for a bad WG.

2l9k235.jpg

BOVs are closed at WOT. They won't bleed off boost on an overboost condition. Not any that I know of at least. If you really want to try it without porting thats fine. Id watch that gauge like a hawk and have the timing low and plenty of meth or octane incase it creeps on you faster than you expect. FWIW, with a 2800 stall, my jb6765 went from 10 to 31psi:eek in 1 second on the datalog, no wheelspin...:wink:

BOVs do NOTHING when the throttle is open. They work when the throttle is closed to relieve the built up pressure in the intake system so it doesn't back up into the turbo. They will not do anything to prevent the turbo from overboosting which from Jas's description can happen in a blink of the eye.

From the pic you have of the turbo mounted, it looks like you need to clock the turbo down some. That might make the alignment of the actuator worse. You may have to fabricate a bracket so it will line up better with the swingarm.

Thanks to everyone for the help, dropping BOV idea. Picked up a carbide attachment for the dremel and will pull it off tonight. Yeah I really want the alignment perfect, I think it's that important.

Looks good! Smooth the sharp edge on the inside if you have time. I didn't do it on mine, but would have if I kept it. The smudge around the outside of the hole is whats left for your puck to seal right? Keep us posted and thanks for the pics. It will help others along the way.:cool:

Yes, that smudge is the puck, I smoothed out the egde with a sanding roll. All told 2 hours to pull and port, will install tomorrow. thanks again would of hated to learn the hard way.

reinstalling, clocked the cold side to align with IC. WG is new issue, custom bracket will need fabricating. Anyone else run into this?
2vv9if7.jpg

339n9xe.jpg