Owners with GT6152's combo's and times please.

Not to mention the quality/length/size of the exhaust work going to the turbo, whether you're in an internal/external wastegate setup, the downipipe size/length/quality. A big intercooler will slow down the onset of boost. Boost controllers help spool too. The more details you give about your current/planned mods the better we can or cannot reccomend this turbo for you.

Ok, let me try and get this explained best I can. There are so many different factors involved in how well a turbo spools, and the TC is just 1 part of the puzzle. Example, on a different car I owned I had a 3800-4000 rpm stall 9-11 that had trouble keeping my TE45a spooled...motor took forever to come to full boost off the the line...I lost a good amount of bracket races to this. Turns out it had really nothing to do with the TC, it was all in the a/f ratio down low when I was attempting to build boost. Once I got that squared away the boost came on plenty fast. Currently I run a 6152 with the larger exhaust .85 housing and a tight 2800 stall 9" N/L converter....I have ZERO problems building boost...maybe almost too fast as I hve to feather the throttle at the line to avoid over boosting! The 6152 was marketed as a wuick spool turbo and it does just that. I don't think you will go wrong switching over, but again, how well your cars spools with this turbo/TC combo depends greatly on the motor's state of tune.

What chip are you running?
What size injectors?
Injecting alky?
Any motor mods?

The problem with my car is that I have a Racegate near the middle of the crosspipe.I was told that is one of the worst set ups for a quicker spooling Turbo because the Turbo is so far away from the wastegate or Racegate.I can't even adjust boost on my turbo unless I crawl under there but I can't fit under there without some lift.:rolleyes: I always run 18 lbs of boost though.I had this setup done about 12 years ago and I think its old style.My car with the TE-44 still spools ok probably because I have 3:73 Gears and a 3000 12 inch stall converter.Im just wanting the meanest,funnest street car without any major lag.I think a 3200 is as big as one should go for an only street driven Turbo Regal.

Not to mention the quality/length/size of the exhaust work going to the turbo, whether you're in an internal/external wastegate setup, the downipipe size/length/quality. A big intercooler will slow down the onset of boost. Boost controllers help spool too. The more details you give about your current/planned mods the better we can or cannot reccomend this turbo for you.

I think I need a THDP.

Well, I got my exhaust refabbed from the header collectors to the turbo. I stand by my 3200 stall reccomendation for this turbo. I reiterate, I don't have the typical GN so check my mods and take my opinion with a grain of salt.

P.S. Car isn't 100% tuned either. Track times should be coming in a month or so when it warms up.

Well, I got my exhaust refabbed from the header collectors to the turbo. I stand by my 3200 stall reccomendation for this turbo. I reiterate, I don't have the typical GN so check my mods and take my opinion with a grain of salt.

P.S. Car isn't 100% tuned either. Track times should be coming in a month or so when it warms up.

Get that 3200 stall to the track and show us:D . You should be in the 10s with that setup.
Scott

You should be in the 10s with that setup.

:( No LSD, never drag raced before, and an idiot for a tuner (myself) = 13s if I'm lucky. I'll be heading out to Milan, MI on a wednesday for test & tune days as soon as I can. I also can't run more than 14psi until I get an afc. Thanks for the confidence boost though!

:( No LSD, never drag raced before, and an idiot for a tuner (myself) = 13s if I'm lucky. I'll be heading out to Milan, MI on a wednesday for test & tune days as soon as I can. I also can't run more than 14psi until I get an afc. Thanks for the confidence boost though!
Just take your time and don't blow it up. Race gas, high boost, high timing, and tune for NO knock, and you will get there.

I don't know but in my car this Turbo may require a 3400 stall converter.I have the TE-44 on there now with the stock modified D5 3000 stall.It doesn't spool instantly.I do have a RJC valve that I have to install.That should help a bit.I know going past 3200 on a street car is not recommended but I want this 6152 to spool as quick as a TE-44 would.:cool:

I don't know but in my car this Turbo may require a 3400 stall converter.I have the TE-44 on there now with the stock modified D5 3000 stall.It doesn't spool instantly.I do have a RJC valve that I have to install.That should help a bit.I know going past 3200 on a street car is not recommended but I want this 6152 to spool as quick as a TE-44 would.:cool:

That rjc bleeder will help a bunch, and I with a TT chip you can lean out 1st gear wot fueling which helps even more. I had a TE44 with just a stock d5, and it spooled great. Now I have the 6152 and love it. I am waiting on my restalled PTC to show up and I cant wait to get that bad boy out. I moved from thier 3200 to a 2800. The 3200 was too loose for that turbo up top. I spoke with Dusty and he wanted it back to restall it back to 2800. I think he's got it dialed in. You will love that 6152, but like everyone else has said it is about the tune. I have learned a great deal about it just from some of the local guys here in KC. We seem to have a good crowd that are all eager to help each other out. I have seen Joe's car run, Scott's car run, and BW's car run. I do have a ways to go, but I will get there!!

That rjc bleeder will help a bunch, and I with a TT chip you can lean out 1st gear wot fueling which helps even more. I had a TE44 with just a stock d5, and it spooled great. Now I have the 6152 and love it. I am waiting on my restalled PTC to show up and I cant wait to get that bad boy out. I moved from thier 3200 to a 2800. The 3200 was too loose for that turbo up top. I spoke with Dusty and he wanted it back to restall it back to 2800. I think he's got it dialed in. You will love that 6152, but like everyone else has said it is about the tune. I have learned a great deal about it just from some of the local guys here in KC. We seem to have a good crowd that are all eager to help each other out. I have seen Joe's car run, Scott's car run, and BW's car run. I do have a ways to go, but I will get there!!

But your going to a non/Lock Im assuming.I have to stay with the Lock up for street driving.There's one guy running a 3400 converter on this thread.Does the 6151 have similar spool characteristics like the TE-44??? Also alot of guys are pushing the 6776 saying that is the latest greatest turbo.Im looking for a great street Turbo and the 6776 under 19lbs of boost on the street is not going to make my car faster with 93 octane.Can the 6152 be felt at lower boost levels like around 18lbs or is it just like the 6776 having to run high boost to feel the power gain:confused:

But your going to a non/Lock Im assuming.I have to stay with the Lock up for street driving.There's one guy running a 3400 converter on this thread.Does the 6151 have similar spool characteristics like the TE-44??? Also alot of guys are pushing the 6776 saying that is the latest greatest turbo.Im looking for a great street Turbo and the 6776 under 19lbs of boost on the street is not going to make my car faster with 93 octane.Can the 6152 be felt at lower boost levels like around 18lbs or is it just like the 6776 having to run high boost to feel the power gain:confused:

No actually I am running a lock up too. I think that at the same 18 psi you will feel a difference between it and the 44. So far I have been real impressed. We had a local track day here, and it was the first run with the new combo. Last year I popped the h/g's at the end of September running the cars best. So I ported the heads and the intake. Added the 6152 and the PTC 3200 l/u. I went to the track only to be very disappointed, the car was way off in mph and time. I spoke with Dutsy and we figured out the converter is to loose. Thats why he's tighting it up now. I have just seen alot of the local guys here that know thier **** putting it down with this 6152. They havn't been wrong yet, I doubt thier wrong now. In my case I can't give you anything other than how well it spools. I promise any smaller light converter is going to spool well regardless of stall. I will happily let you know more when I get the converter back. Hopefully some e.t.'s. Like a bunch of people have said before in previous posts. It shows if 1 thing isn't right the whole combo suffers.

I was thinking this Turbo to prevent lag would need a 3200-3400 stall L/U converter.I don't uinderstand the 2800 at all for a bigger Turbo that pulls harder at the top end.I would like to balance the low end torque and power with some mid to high range power above the TE-44.

I was thinking this Turbo to prevent lag would need a 3200-3400 stall L/U converter.I don't uinderstand the 2800 at all for a bigger Turbo that pulls harder at the top end.I would like to balance the low end torque and power with some mid to high range power above the TE-44.

I'm going on Dusty Bradfords reccomendation. He knows a little more about torque converters than I do!;)

I think he's got it under control

I forgot to add timing into my car at the nats, it picked up 28mph from 1/8th to 1/4 on one pass, lots better with the bad ECM and only picking up 15mph.

61 turbo is great with bone stock cars with fuel upgrades and also cars with heads and cams..

Is it bad when you run 7.07 at 97 and only a 11.35 at 111mph when the car is floored? BAD ECM
Then when you borrow a ECM from a real good buddy, and then the car falls on its face with no timing to run 7.15 at 93? At that point the sixty foots fell down to 1.50, but the midrange failed due to low timing IMHO
Tweak chips rule when your fighting issues :cool:

Thank you Joe for the parts at the nats, i will return the favor next time we are out.
BW

I forgot to add timing into my car at the nats, it picked up 28mph from 1/8th to 1/4 on one pass, lots better with the bad ECM and only picking up 15mph.

61 turbo is great with bone stock cars with fuel upgrades and also cars with heads and cams..

Is it bad when you run 7.07 at 97 and only a 11.35 at 111mph when the car is floored? BAD ECM
Then when you borrow a ECM from a real good buddy, and then the car falls on its face with no timing to run 7.15 at 93? At that point the sixty foots fell down to 1.50, but the midrange failed due to low timing IMHO
Tweak chips rule when your fighting issues :cool:

Thank you Joe for the parts at the nats, i will return the favor next time we are out.
BW

Damn 28MPH How much does your car weigh?

Damn 28MPH How much does your car weigh?

3445 with me, i weighed 217 after the nats...
Mine has the ta61 and normally picks up 25.5 with the boost at 22 down low and 27 on top.
The 28 pickup was with 25 down low and 28 on the top.... 009 injectors...

I made alot of passes, still together. Still needs more fuel for 10s

BW

I doubt buttonfly's converter was actually stalling at 3200. He stated it was very loose. He's changing to whats normally a 2800 stall converter that may actually stall at 3200 on his combo. Thats why you usually get free restalls on converters.... sometimes they can be off for given combos.

As far as your combo, I would get the current combo working good before I upgrade the turbo. Maybe you need a smaller 3200 staller converter to spool the TE44 on your combo, who knows. If you upgrade the turbo and get a converter and it still doesn't spool right, you're right back where you are and the car might run slower. Tuned right, your car should run mid 11's easy and probably run low 11's with your combo. If you can't spool the TE44 like crazy, its probably only going to get worse if you upgrade the turbo.

I may go back on my previous statements and say maybe a 3000 stall with a boost controller is acceptable. I finally figured mine out and once it starts spooling it hits hard. It's actually blowing right past my MAF ceiling. I don't know what the CR is of your GN motors but my car is an animal at 13psi (the MAF ceiling).

3445 with me, i weighed 217 after the nats...
Mine has the ta61 and normally picks up 25.5 with the boost at 22 down low and 27 on top.
The 28 pickup was with 25 down low and 28 on the top.... 009 injectors...

I made alot of passes, still together. Still needs more fuel for 10s

BW

How did you get the car so light? Mine is 3720 with me in it. I am going to do a few lightweight mods to it. But I will be lucky to get to 3600. :confused:

How did you get the car so light? Mine is 3720 with me in it. I am going to do a few lightweight mods to it. But I will be lucky to get to 3600. :confused:

The wheel and tire combo was good for at least 50 lbs
The aluminum radiator and battery was good for 30 lbs
Exhaust delete 60 lbs
mini starter 10 lbs
Alum driveshaft 10 lbs
ECT....

I still need to install the alum bumper shocks and cut down the alum supports.

We were able to get a bone stock GN down to 3104 with working ac and nothing in the interior touched. Nothing was cut up on that car, just lots of small stuff to add up in the end.

BW