Owners with GT6152's combo's and times please.

I would have thought the 6152 would have had to be 27-28+psi to do what it did last night. Who would have ever thought that the 6152 would have such power at 20-21 psi on the right setup and probably never find its true capabilities.

I'd think the credit is due more to the heads than the turbo. In all fairness, I'd bet his ported TA heads flow a TON more air than your average iron head (not top flow number, but throughout the range). A motor with your average ported irons would probably need 27-28psi to go that fast?

I'd think the credit is due more to the heads than the turbo. In all fairness, I'd bet his ported TA heads flow a TON more air than your average iron head (not top flow number, but throughout the range). A motor with your average ported irons would probably need 27-28psi to go that fast?

Thanks for saving me the typing. =)

You know I cant help but look at this thread and wonder. Most people wonder if they made the right choice of this turbo or that turbo and NEVER really find out the limit of the current turbo they have or worry about pushing it hard or breaking something. I look and read at the things that Bison has done and that really shows me that most people never even come close to the potential of what setup they currently have can do much less its absolute potential because they are so afraid to push that envelope, yet 99% of us including myself doesn't know even where the edge is. I would have thought the 6152 would have had to be 27-28+psi to do what it did last night. Who would have ever thought that the 6152 would have such power at 20-21 psi on the right setup and probably never find its true capabilities. Hats off to you Patrick for that feat. I'm sure that the turbo has lots more untapped power yet available. So to all the 6152 owners I would say based on what I seen last night personally that this particular turbo is a great choice for the street. It is one mean little turbo with the proper setup.

First off thanks for the kind words clint. I personally agree with you big time as i have personally seen guys not really take advantage of the current parts they have. I'm also one of those people that has done that over the yrs.

When i was building the engine i knew that the turbo was gonna be a limiting factor. but i now see that it's was not as big of a factor as before. I even spoke with harry from precision @ the turbobuick.com nats and he told me that it would be a slim chance of a gt6152e turbo feeding the stroker.

That turbo is rated @ 630hp (crank i guess) so i think it's just about done ! I ran the et/hp (jim testa's software) calculator and it showed showed 598 to run a 6.76 @ 3650 weight.

Great post. With a purpose built engine and a tight combo you can get way more out of less. The old PT54 as been low 10's at over 130mph also. The potential is always there.

This really was not a purpose built engine i thought:biggrin: as i assembled the engine myself with the help of richard clark. I just wanted a good strong engine so i don'e have to push it hard to run in the 6's

Now i'm curious as to how the 67hpq billet bb turbo is gonna compare to this one:tongue:

I my goal is to try and run a high 6's on pump gas! and say bye bye to race gas or alky:eek:

Who'd ever thunk it.... that this little ole thread I started way back when.....would have over 220 replies.... and over 18,000 views.

It is truly a statement about the potential.... popularity... etc.... that that little turbo has generated.

Congrats on the awesome times SloGN. 6.76 is a number.... that most with twice the parts have yet to see. Congrats again.

This really was not a purpose built engine i thought:biggrin: as i assembled the engine myself with the help of richard clark. I just wanted a good strong engine so i don'e have to push it hard to run in the 6's

"the engine is a girdled 109 stroker crank forged pistons dls roller cam 214/214 ported Ta alum heads ported stock intake" Sounds purpose built to me. Not just a bunch of parts thrown on there that you are going to grow into. If i was building an engine with those parts id be looking for 9's at under 25psi. 6's on 93 octane should be no problem. My 9:1 233ci Champion headed engine made 413whp@13psi. I never tried running 17psi. Id guess its over 500whp at that boost. I think it was 523whp at 18psi but i cant remember since i didnt care what it made at low boost. You should be beyond that with the 67hpq on there. Id be curious what it would run with the 6176 ive been running on my other car. If you want to test it let me know. Ill send it out. Dont be fooled by the hp numbers Precision lists on their site either. They are about useless for determining your actual performance. Most of them can be surpassed even though most cant even get 80% of whats listed. Also if you want to do a back to back test with the 6680 i have comparing it to the 67 HPQ let me know. Ill send it out.

I think that's kinda the point...There are TONS of people on here that upgrade their turbo instead of the parts that are actually holding them back, when they could be making other changes that will benefit them more...I think lots of people lose sight of the fact that the smallest turbo that will get them to their goals will be the quickest spooling, most fun combo, and makes it easier to get a converter that really works.

JMO

I think that's kinda the point...There are TONS of people on here that upgrade their turbo instead of the parts that are actually holding them back, when they could be making other changes that will benefit them more...I think lots of people lose sight of the fact that the smallest turbo that will get them to their goals will be the quickest spooling, most fun combo, and makes it easier to get a converter that really works.

JMO

^^^What he said. Although SloGN could benefit from more wheel especially if he is going to run it harder most replace their turbo when they should be looking elsewhere. The biggest chit part i see in most cars is their POS converter. Heads are often overlooked for a turbo too. What you cant see makes the most difference. Running the small turbo on the street is much more fun than having to spool a bigger one that may only make a little more (or no more) at the same boost.

^^^What he said. Although SloGN could benefit from more wheel especially if he is going to run it harder most replace their turbo when they should be looking elsewhere. .

I know I used this as an example indirectly, but this is Definitely an extreme case...Also I don't think he has made it to his goal yet (probably like me and his goal is to go as fast as he can go within a budget, or a set of rules, or both).

Slow91z

My true ultimate goal is to run in the 6's on pump gas with no alky or higher octane fuel added.

Bison mentioned that i should look for 9.50's. it's not a race car it's a street car that i drive like a taxi cab. It has great A/C and a killer stereo. So i don't care to put a cage in the car.

Slow91z

My true ultimate goal is to run in the 6's on pump gas with no alky or higher octane fuel added.

Bison mentioned that i should look for 9.50's. it's not a race car it's a street car that i drive like a taxi cab. It has great A/C and a killer stereo. So i don't care to put a cage in the car.

Interesting goal...Sounds like you are very close.

Slow91z

If you turn the boost up you will be close. The 6's on 93 goal should be no problem. Might even be doable with what you already have.

JMO

Couldn't agree more with you buddy. I'll admit I have been guilty of that as myself in the past.

Couldn't agree more with you buddy. I'll admit I have been guilty of that as myself in the past.

Me too kinda...I bought a few turbos to big for the combo I had, but they were inline with my goals in the end.

Boy oh boy, I can't wait to hear about your future results with the new turbo headed your way. Shipped out yesterday btw, should be there tomorrow. 10-6-10. You're gonna have a lot of fun with that new combo.

Excellent times for the 6152, I'm pretty sure it's the quickest I've ever read about on a Turbo Buick.
Definitely keep us posted and keep up the good work.

Patrick

Boy oh boy, I can't wait to hear about your future results with the new turbo headed your way. Shipped out yesterday btw, should be there tomorrow. 10-6-10. You're gonna have a lot of fun with that new combo.

Excellent times for the 6152, I'm pretty sure it's the quickest I've ever read about on a Turbo Buick.
Definitely keep us posted and keep up the good work.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick from a Patrick:D