Does anyone recognize this DP and external wastegate from an 87 GN?

SyrupPerMoose

Hey guy, long time lurker, new to posting here. I'm in the teardown process of my 87 GN and trying to identify a few things that are currently on the car. One thing I haven't been able to find an answer on is what DP and external wastegate this is. The turbo inlet is the GN 3 bolt style but this DP and wastegate don't seem to match anything I can find. I will be looking to rebuild or replace this WG but it has a unique 4- bolt inlet and outlet that I haven't seen before. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated 👏

1000020745.jpg
1000020751.jpg
1000020749.jpg
1000014521.jpg

Richard Lee wastegate maybe? Back in the day, that was the wastegate to have as you needed two Turbonetics gates to control bigger turbos.

Could also be a really old Tial

Richard Lee wastegate maybe? Back in the day, that was the wastegate to have as you needed two Turbonetics gates to control bigger turbos.

Could also be a really old Tial
Yeah, I'm not sure either. There's zero markings or identification info. I'm going to pull it apart and see if there's something on the inside or the diaphragm maybe. I'd like to make it work if I could, it would be a shame not to, the systems in great shape. Definitely upgrading the turbo though as the one that was in there was barely larger than stock on the exhaust wheel and had tons of shaft play. Compressor was hitting the cover.

It looks like the same one I have on my car from GN1 Performance 46mm External Gate.

Attachments

• IMG_8834.jpeg
    IMG_8834.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1556.jpeg
    IMG_1556.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0231.jpeg
    IMG_0231.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
It looks like the same one I have on my car from GN1 Performance 46mm External Gate.
Bingo! That's it! Thank you very much. I'll reach out to GN1 and see if they can help me out.
Whats your experience been like with that WG? Seems like a good design keeping the diaphragm away from too much heat.

Bingo! That's it! Thank you very much. I'll reach out to GN1 and see if they can help me out.
Whats your experience been like with that WG? Seems like a good design keeping the diaphragm away from too much heat.
No frills wg , doesnt control all that well above 23 psi

Looks like the first iteration of the GN1 knockoff to me. I had one.

Mine froze up one day and my boost went to over 30lbs.

Took it off qwick!

We banged on that thing to no end trying to get it to open, never did come loose.

Your results may vary.

Last edited: