My 90 Firebird, 87 LC2 swap...

cabech984,
Another alternative for you concerning your transmission is a TCI adapter plate...part number 230001. If you have a free TH350 transmission with a Chevy bellhousing, then simply buy this plate and you can bolt up the trans to your Buick engine. They're fairly inexpensive, I think around $75.
Kevin

Sweet! I may do that to go w/ a budget transmission. It'll bolt up to a th400 right?

I took the Engine to my machine shop today, getting it all worked over & going with .030 Speed Pro Forged Pistons & rings. Also got my gasket set today & Main Stud Kit.
Getting the engine align honed for the studs. Im getting my rods reconditioned to work w/ the ARP cap screws. I'm getting my heads worked on, milled to a smooth surface as well as the deck. I'm also going to get the crank reground & rotating assembly balanced. This is gonna cost me at least $1200 dollars in machine work. There goes my tax return!! So far, Ive also got $600 in parts on the engine alone and about another $200 to go.

I still gotta get a transmission, engine & tranny mounts, Scanmaster, & possibly a custom wire harness. Im missing alot but I think its gonna all come together around April after all my tax returns come in:) I still got about $1800 to use until broke:(

That's great! I've lost track of how much money I have spent on my project. Probably a good thing! For me, the biggest chunk was on the engine internals and machine work. So sad those high dollar parts and work can't be seen when you lift the hood. :rolleyes:

I used the factory holes on the front k-member for the v-6 motor mounts. For me, it was easier than drilling new ones, and I'll just buy a new custom driveshaft.

Here's a pic of my cat back - pretty ridiculous when compared to the "small" three inch downpipe.

Attachments

• misc 001.jpg
    misc 001.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 784
I have an 82 Firebird / Buick Turbo for sale as a roller ... or may break up for parts :cool: LOTs of great parts :cool:

I have an 82 Firebird / Buick Turbo for sale as a roller ... or may break up for parts :cool: LOTs of great parts :cool:

Yeah, I want that Downpipe & mounts:biggrin:

I built the short block up today and also bought a TH400 Transmission, gonna use the spohn torque arm/X member and Driveshaft to mount that up

Heres what Ive done/got so far;

ARP Main Studs, Rod Bolts, & Head Bolts
TRW Forged .030 Pistons
Stock Crank & Rods
Stock GN Intercooler
Stock Heads
208/208 Cam
Fully balanced Rotating assembly
Kenne Bell Upper Plenum & Throttle Body

I need the following:

Turbo(any suggestions?)
Injectors
Torque Converter
Alky Control
Downpipe
Engine & Frame Mounts
Custom Harness(I have a GN Harness)
ECM(Unless the Firebird's will work)

I'm shooting for this car to be a mean street car that will see the strip occasionally. I think I could get into the 11's with the right turbo combination. Let me know any suggestions/ ideas.

If your looking to sell some parts, PM me. Im mainly looking for the mounts and downpipe right now but I'll entertain any other stuff if the price is right!!!

Chris

Parts:

I need the following:

Turbo(any suggestions?)
Injectors
Torque Converter
Alky Control
Downpipe
Engine & Frame Mounts
QUOTE]

Hello.. Fellow F-body guy here :)

1)You'll want to buy the (engine) mounts from HR Parts. Poly engine mounts.
You can get a set of (Frame) mounts from a local bone yard. Any G body with a 3.8L will work. I might have some here if your intereseted.. I'll look.

2)Turbo should be in the .50-.62 range. Keep your eyes on a used one from the parts for sale section.

3)Look for 2800-3200 stall Make sure it's made for a GN! Meaning it's been behind a GN engine and that's where it stalls: the parts section too.

4) Your GN harness will work fine. You'll need a factory GN ECM!!!!!!

5)Injectors I'd start with a set of 42-50lb/hr Part section stuff too with chip.

6) Alky... I'm not a fan of it but some are... I've put a pump gas F-body in the high 10's with a GN engine no alky. (10.92@123mph) 1.48 60' on pump gas through the mufflers on a DOT.

You've got a great start... good cam and the rest of your setup so far looks great....
Need any help e-mail anytime.
UR50SLO@aol.com
~Scott

I need the following:

Turbo(any suggestions?)
Injectors
Torque Converter
Alky Control
Downpipe
Engine & Frame Mounts
QUOTE]

Hello.. Fellow F-body guy here :)

1)You'll want to buy the (engine) mounts from HR Parts. Poly engine mounts.
You can get a set of (Frame) mounts from a local bone yard. Any G body with a 3.8L will work. I might have some here if your intereseted.. I'll look.

2)Turbo should be in the .50-.62 range. Keep your eyes on a used one from the parts for sale section.

3)Look for 2800-3200 stall Make sure it's made for a GN! Meaning it's been behind a GN engine and that's where it stalls: the parts section too.

4) Your GN harness will work fine. You'll need a factory GN ECM!!!!!!

5)Injectors I'd start with a set of 42-50lb/hr Part section stuff too with chip.

6) Alky... I'm not a fan of it but some are... I've put a pump gas F-body in the high 10's with a GN engine no alky. (10.92@123mph) 1.48 60' on pump gas through the mufflers on a DOT.

You've got a great start... good cam and the rest of your setup so far looks great....
Need any help e-mail anytime.
UR50SLO@aol.com
~Scott

what are you using for downpipes ?? plus I think someone may want to know if a TTA downpipe will fit an f body with GN heads?? (thats prob the only thing I havent tried and someone asked me ...sooo what do ya think??) ohhh ya ever try Alky ??? :eek: :cool:

I would like to know if the TTA DP works w/ Buick Heads, I did buy a tta one and am curious. Im planning on a 60, 61 or a 6152 turbo, w/ #60 injectors. Im using the TH400, who makes a known good converter that will stall in the 3k range? I also got some TTA upper & lower engine mounts en route. Alky is the last on my to do list.

The TTA down pipe will only work with TTA heads,headers,and TTA mounts.
No one is making a downpipe for the TTA right now anyway.

Your best to start with a begining of a GN 3" down pipe and fabricate the rest. Your going to have a weird one with TTA mounts/gn heads. Clearances are going to be different than mine or I'd mock one up and send it out to you.

There are several people now offering just the flange and puck or the begining of the pipe with the bend/puck/flange.

Turbo selection is fine.. same with injectors.. good.. no problems there.

Find someone who is familiar with GN/boosted engines for the converter build or buy used and have it inspected/flushed.

Cool!!!

I guess I'll have to figure something out on the DP. I got my TTA Mounts, Hotwire kit, Turbo lines today. I also ordered my TH400 Crossmember/Torque Arm yesterday!! I think I'm down to an ECM, Torque Converter, Turbo, Injectors & Chip. And about 1,000,000 in misc parts!!

This S/B a cool swap! Welcome aboard!

One thing though.... The 89 TA/firebird came with the turbo motor but GM used different heads then the Buick turbo to clear the strut towers. You may find very tight fit with the Buick heads.

My swap has an even narrower engine bay the the camaro/firebird and I made it fit so it can be done.

Just an FYI when you do your trial fitment..

Myth....

That's a comon myth....

You can use GN heads/frame/engine mounts and headers. and have plenty of room for a regular GN down pipe (just the first bend)

The reason GM went with the fwd heads is for clearance of the A/C box.
It's not even close to the inner strut towers.

Just thought I'd let ya know that :biggrin:

~Scott

Ive been ordering alot of stuff recently, I bought a low mile, used TE44 and some Siemens 55lb injectors. I also got my Spohn Torque Arm/Crossmember, and misc engine parts. I got my ECM from kirbans. I need to get a AC Delete pulley, Chip, Torque Converter(3000-3200) and a wastegate solenoid.

Will I need some sort of Vaccum Brake Booster setup?

How hard is it to not run EGR? I dont plan to use it so, could I just cap off the vac. line and run a block off plate?

The factory F-Body vaccume brakes work great.
You'll need to buy a Vaccume block with a port for the 3/8 vaccume line
Caspers part number: 102090

You'll need to get a block off plate from champion (under 20.00)
Has a power 6 emblem on it. Nice peice.

Most chips are setup not to run EGR (or set a code anyway)

Sounds like your progressing!
Great!
Scott~

I dumped the stock powermaster brakes on my GN for vacuum, it is a common upgrade. Just get the vacuum block listed above and they'll work fine. The only issue I ever had was when I was WOT and full boost and a car pulled out in front of me. :eek:

Car looks nice, I'm watching all you guys as I build my parts pile for my 3rd gen swap.