My 90 Firebird, 87 LC2 swap...

Should look somthing like the pic's below when done. This is the car I have now with Paul's engine installed.
That's the 3.5" down pipe I made for it but we never did get to test at the track with it. :(
Wonder if the 5" im putting on will help?:D
Scott~!

Attachments

• DSCN0005(9).JPG
    DSCN0005(9).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 380
Thanks for the help, I'll add that Vaccum block to my to-do list. UR50SLO, that engine bay is sick!! Mine definatly isnt gonna look like that.

Paul the previous owner put alot of work in the car and deserves alot of credit too!!! That engine is in his GN now.

He's got a TTA and we are going to build a GNX clone.

This is my wife's 92 Typhoon engine bay. It's her Daily driver.
Had to fab up the pipes and such to hook up the big front mount I made for it.
~Scott~

Attachments

• frontengine.JPG
    frontengine.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 365
Should look somthing like the pic's below when done. This is the car I have now with Paul's engine installed.
That's the 3.5" down pipe I made for it but we never did get to test at the track with it. :(
Wonder if the 5" im putting on will help?:D
Scott~!

Hey guys, I've been away from the computer a few months,

Scott that thing is awesome! sweet engine bay! That white really shows off. Looks like ive seen this before somewhere?!?:wink:

Alan

Im still gathering parts to do the swap. I think all I need is a chip, ECM Mod for low imp. injectors, 3000-3200 stall tc, trans cooler, wastegate solenoid/manual boost controller, cooling hoses, boost, knock, trans temp gauges, and a scanmaster. A grand total of 1 million dollars. I hope to begin the swap madness next month sometime. I want to have it finished before the TA Nationals in August. Its hosted anually here in Dayton, OH.

Cause your fuel pressure and boost gauge should probably be inside the car so they are easiest to monitor.

I'm probably going to get another bracket to mount the FP Gauge to the hood. Eventually, I'll get the gauge cluster all set up the way I want it but for now gotta go with the money.

On a side note, I ran a 13.28@106.84mph w/ a 2.10 60' in my 1998 Firebird Formula. I need some slicks badly & a computer tune.

Looks like I may be starting the swap this weekend. I am doing an Alignment 1st on Friday and then hopefully gonna swing it in my bro's 3 car garage.

Thanks, I started the madness last weekend. I pulled the old 3.1, Transmission, Fuel tank, HVAC box, as well as most of the harness. I gotta figure out the fuse box/drivers side body connector. I also ordered my 3200 stall T/c for my TH400. Once I get it, I should be able to drop in the engine. Here are a few pics of what I got!! Hope ya like!

ImageShack - Hosting :: engineswap5506021ti1.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: engineswap5506009ek3.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: engineswap5506001os4.jpg
ImageShack - Hosting :: engineswap5506010qu1.jpg

Well, I finally got my 3200 Stall Torque Converter, Walbro 340 Fuel Pump, Scanmaster 2.1, and 93 TurboTweak Chip. I'll be dusting off the engine/tranny and installing them in the Bird this Saturday. I'll be taking some pics along the way.

I still need to get the Fuel Rail Connectors to connect the car's hard line up to the GN's rail. If any of you Camaro/Firebird swappers have any advice or know what I need, feel free to share the knowledge!!! I believe it is Saginaw to NPT adapters and some # 6 AN Fuel Fitings and line. Not 100% sure though

I also still need to order a RJC Manual Boost Controller and Custom Length Driveshaft for my TH400.

I will try to post some pics of the progress!!! I hope to have it running by July!!!!!!!! Chris

Several ways to attack the rail issue.

If your going to run -8 or -6an feed /return from rail to hard lines you can get fittings that screw right into the stock GN rail. I think Full throttle carries them.

On the factory hard lines.... I think they make a Union to AN fitting.
You'll have to google that or ask your local pressure hose maker in your area.
It will slide on the factory lines and crush a sleeve down to seal it..... the other end will be -6 or -8.
Then you'll have stainless AN line from lines to rail.

If you fit the engine down you might have the right drive shaft leingth.

My camaro had a 2004R in it with the last GN engine and now it's got a TH400 trans. I got a different yoke for the trans side and it fit perfect. Engine is mounted in the same place.

If this is your first time fitting ect.. .and you had a 5spd or 700R4 then you might have to add/shroten.

Good luck.. e-mail anytime,
Scott~

I'm using the V6 Mounting holes for the GN Mounts. I also am using a Spohn TH400 Swap Crossmember. I think it'll be close, I will have to swap the yoke as well. I hope I can retain the driveshaft, I got a 3" Aluminum LS1 Firebird Driveshaft for it(used it on the 3.1L)

Do you have any idea what size the body's fuel lines are? I'm looking on summit for them. I'll likely pick up the Adapters on Full Throttle.

Well, after all these months, I've finally got some forward progress completed. I've installed the 3.8L into the 1990 Firebird. While it is still a ways to go, I've got the physically hard part done. Time for the brain challenging stuff:( Here are a few pics of what I got done so far.

Oh yeah, I think my passenger side mount is bad. engine sits about 2 degrees un-level. Everybody was right, a TTA style downpipe will not fit w/o modification.

We had gotten a TH3" DP for the TTA when we first put the white Camaro together and found that it was not close enough to work with out cutting it up quite a bit.

I'd still get the HR parts motor mouns for your car and you won't have to worry about replacing mounts ever again. It's worth the extra money do do the job once. I won't put a motor in with out them.

I've taken alot of material out of that area where your planning on putting your downpipe. It sure makes putting a 3" or larger pipe down through there easy. If you decide to do somthing like that re-enfoce it with 1/4" plate steel.

Keep up the good work!
~Scott

Well, I got a few more things to do and I should be able to fire up the car. I installed the intercooler, piping, radiator, heater lines, 3" Downpipe & "Cat";) (thanks Grumpy!) & Accesory Drive. I had to cut a little bit off the tranny to clear the downpipe flange but it bolted in perfect!!

I still need:

custom driveshaft(TH400 to 7.5" 10 Bolt.)
Fuel Lines(body to Fuel rail)doing -6an both sides
Oil Feed to Turbo(debating -4an)
TTA Radiator hoses(found on Napa Online, Gates hoses)
5/8" Power Steering Hose
finish vaccum lines
Oil Pressure Gauge
Throttle Bracket
Cam Sensor Timing
Fuel Pump Hotwire install
& a little more wiring work:mad:
Send my Turbotweak chip in for VSS & P/N Delete
Figure out TH400 Shifter:confused:

It's getting closer to D-Day and my wallet is paper thin:( Im estimating about 4 weeks until it is ready to fire up:) It's mostly nickel and dime from here on out. Mostly everything I need to finish I already have. I'll try to get some up-to date pics soon!!!

It's running!!!! Finally! I am having a few little issues, havent got it driving yet, hoping to tomorrow!!