My 90 Firebird, 87 LC2 swap...

Well, in between lighting off fireworks and what not, I managed to tie up alot of loose ends on the Bird. I actually was able to drive it today. Had a slight tick/knock in the top end, but oil pressure has been good @ 20ish psi hot idle. The knock worked itself out I guess. I drove it around w/ zero boost. I didnt do the cam position sensor adjustment, and it was running like crap while driving. I want to believe that the cam sensor needs adjusted. Any ideas??

Cam sensor

If the engine was used or running in another car you'd "think" someone would set it. It runs... That tells me it's close. Some slight movement one way or the other is helpfull but won't work out any serious rough running problems.

Maby check the settings of Fuel pressure,TPS ect. Do you have Direct Scan or a scan tool of any kind? That would be helpfull for information to us to help you.

At least you made it around the block! I only got to put coolant in and have it pour out of a bad weld job I had done :rolleyes:
And still have not gotten my heads back:mad:
By the time they get back I'll need to put the snow tires on it!:rolleyes:

Give us some more info and we'll help!
Scott~

Well, the engine was completly tore down and rebuilt and balanced.

I am thinking that my o2 sensor is dead b/c at idle it seems fine but, at any throttle, it runs like crap, the o2 mV drop to near zero as well as there are little to no cross counts.

I am using a scanmaster 2.1 w/ a TT chip. TPS is at .42/4.80, FPS is @ 43psi idle w/ vacuum tube off. Im using a walbro 340 pump and hotwire kit. I think Im just gonna buy another O2 sensor b/c the on I got was witht the used engine and was either used in drag racing or dropped when I had ahold of it.

What exactly does the cam sensor do? Doesnt it help with quicker starting or something?

Still Missing under throttle, zero boost. Put a new O2 sensor and Autolite 24's gapped @ .032" Still missing:( I checked the resistance on the coil pack 12.5 12.5 13.0 resistance on the 3 coils. I need to locate or borrow a known good coil module to see if that fixes it. How can I check the MAF sensor if it is good or bad?

As with any good GM maf :rolleyes:

Lightly rap the housing with a screwdriver handle while at idle usually it'll stumble a bit.

Either that or take a look and see if it pegs the AF reading on the scanmaster.

As with any good GM maf :rolleyes:

Lightly rap the housing with a screwdriver handle while at idle usually it'll stumble a bit.

Either that or take a look and see if it pegs the AF reading on the scanmaster.

Thanks for the help, checked the MAF. It was ok, same w/ cam sensor. It turned out to be some grounding issues. Got it straightened out, runs very well now!!!

Well, I finally got my Third Gen Firebird running again after a round of mods and some preventive maintenance. The previous combo netted me a best of a 12.20@113mph with a 1.75 60'. I had so many issues too(tuning, boost and exhaust leaks, lifting heads, 8* knock retard) ANyways, hopefully I have most of them ironed out!

I recently installed:

AlkyControl Single nozzle methanol injection kit
3 bar MAP sensor
RJC Power plate(air distribution plate for better burn)
Modified Duttweiler Intercooler neck(more cfm)
Walbro 340 in tank fuel pump(preventive maintenance)
TurboTweak Alky chip(23/21* timing @ 24-26psi boost)
Accel 42,000 volt coil pack(mine broke:()
New SCE copper exhaust & turbo flange gaskets
SLP Line lock kit
Fel-pro intake gasket set
Felpro 9441HT Head gaskets(had N/A gaskets on before and was lifting heads)
new motor mounts
new delco starter
NGK UR6 plugs gapped @ .032"
re-wrapped the 3" downpipe

I removed the exhaust manifolds due to numerous cracks and warps on both sides. I machined the surfaces smooth and installed copper manifold gaskets as well as new turbo gasket. Every exhaust gasket on the car wasnt sealing, had 2 or three cracks in the stock 1987 manifolds(stainless steel).

This car has been a rollercoaster of a project, plenty of highs and plenty of lows. Hopefully, itll make it out to the dragstrip before the end of the season!! Hope ya'll like, I know I do!!!

One head torqued down w/ ARP bolts

Got the Turbo mounted and top end done

3" Downpipe w/ old school HKS Wastegate, before heat wrap(20psi spring)

Intercooler mounted

Final(for now) product

Looks good man! I take it you'll probably go to KilKare when it's done? Let me know when you head out there. I've been wanting to bring my car back up there before the year is over.

Looks good man! I take it you'll probably go to KilKare when it's done? Let me know when you head out there. I've been wanting to bring my car back up there before the year is over.

Will do. Idk if/when itll be, Im waiting on a coil pack and then itll be off to the country roads for some tuning! Its a bit noisy right now, have a ticking lifter(I believe). Has good oil pressure and am running Rotella-T 15w-40 with STP additive. If itll run, Im running it down the track at at least once this year lol. Ill be tearing the intake back off over the winter to replace the lifters as well as fix the rear lip on the intake(its leaking)

Ill be going to kilkare for sure with it. Last week wasnt a good week for TurboBuicks @ kk, watched a nice one's tranny go poopie:( You may know who it is

Will do. Idk if/when itll be, Im waiting on a coil pack and then itll be off to the country roads for some tuning! Its a bit noisy right now, have a ticking lifter(I believe). Has good oil pressure and am running Rotella-T 15w-40 with STP additive. If itll run, Im running it down the track at at least once this year lol. Ill be tearing the intake back off over the winter to replace the lifters as well as fix the rear lip on the intake(its leaking)

Ill be going to kilkare for sure with it. Last week wasnt a good week for TurboBuicks @ kk, watched a nice one's tranny go poopie:( You may know who it is

Yep, he's a friend of mine. The rearend locked up, destroying the trans in the process:eek:

The M-13 event at Stanton Mi is this weekend (4th) Saturday...

Bring it up for some tuning and fun!!!!!!!

I'll be there and another white F-body hybrid as well!
~Scott

Yep, he's a friend of mine. The rearend locked up, destroying the trans in the process:eek:

Ouch! Hope he gets it all back together, I talked to him last year, he was in Stage II trim then, badass car!!!

The M-13 event at Stanton Mi is this weekend (4th) Saturday...

Bring it up for some tuning and fun!!!!!!!

I'll be there and another white F-body hybrid as well!
~Scott

Not this weekend. I just fried my brand new coil pack as well as my old module. Damn Buicks. Im thinking of doing a Boosted 6.0L LSx swap:eek:

Bummer on both items.. dang... sounds like me when I plan getting things

ready for bowling green every year... Somthing always happens!!! And not in

a good way!

Bring the Camaro then! :)
~Scott

Bummer on both items.. dang... sounds like me when I plan getting things

ready for bowling green every year... Somthing always happens!!! And not in

a good way!

Bring the Camaro then! :)
~Scott

Lol, I would but this weekend is going to be spent running new electric to my garage. Looks like Ill be working around an immobile clunker:(

Here's a idle clip the day after I got it running. Its a little smokey, I need to tune it as well as replace the worn out turbo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4yo32J7R2XI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4yo32J7R2XI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I bought a coil and module from autozone(duralast brand lol) We shall see if everything works ok!