PowerLogger 2.0 questions...

turbokinetic

Hi folks. It's been a long time since I visited here. Hope everyone is doing well! I am still driving my 3.8 Turbo FWD 84 Century which I shared here many years ago. Still a blast, although new cars have gotten much faster than they were when that build was done.

A good friend has a Turbo Regal. It's an 86/87 spec intercooled Grand National. This is my first time working on his car. My previous project car used a newer ECM and the electronics are different, so I am going to have to ask some very basic questions.

This car has its original ECM, with a PowerLogger 2.0 installed. This was installed years ago when the car was professionally tuned. I don't know who did that, but I did find a TT chip in the ECM.

The car has been reliable until about a year ago. At that point, it has developed intermittent problems where it will stall, fast idle, and run very rich. We were able to get the car to my place so I can look into its problem. He also brought the laptop computer which had the PowerLogger software installed.

Unfortunately, the laptop is nonfunctional; therefore I have no info on the PowerLogger. I have looked at Bailey Engineering's website but there seems to be no documentation nor software download available for this product. I have reached out to Bob via the contact info shown on his website but have not heard back yet. In the meantime, is there a source for this documentation and software online? I am not even sure I understand what the capabilities of the PowerLogger are.

The issue with the car is something with the ECM its self. The ECM has become intermittent. When the key is on but the engine is not started, sometimes the Check Engine light will turn on, and then a factory diagnostic tool can be used at the ALDL connector. Sporadically, the Check Engine light will go out and the communications will cease with the scan tool. Obviously if the engine is running, there are severe problems with the car’s drivability when the ECM stops functioning properly. Handling the ECM or cycling keyswitch off and on; or just waiting a few moments can restore the communications for a while.

I am unsure if the PowerLogger is necessary for operation of the ECM after it has been tuned, or if it can be temporarily removed. I feel as if I am flying blind and want to get more information before condemning the ECM or the PowerLogger. I really appreciate your input.
Sincerely,
David

Hi,
Check the ECM harness header for water damage and corrosion.
The car will run fine without the PowerLogger, its just a data-gatherer in most cases (the SD2 chip is the exception)
The PowerLogger may need an update if its older (black PCB), otherwise Windows gets cranky about unsigned drivers.

PowerLogger installation info attached.

software is here:

Attachments

• Installation Guide.pdf
    285.3 KB · Views: 8
  • PowerLogger Input Module Connections.pdf
    202.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PowerLogger Manual 1.0.0.pdf
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PowerLogger Manual Addendum 2015.pdf
    116 KB · Views: 6
Hi,
Check the ECM harness header for water damage and corrosion.
The car will run fine without the PowerLogger, its just a data-gatherer in most cases (the SD2 chip is the exception)
The PowerLogger may need an update if its older (black PCB), otherwise Windows gets cranky about unsigned drivers.

PowerLogger installation info attached.

software is here:
Hi Bob; thank you for the information. I am reading it now.

Since reaching out to you this morning I have been working with the car. I think you may be right about the harness connector having suffered water damage. I had noticed some of the pins where the harness attaches were green. I used a roughened brass terminal pin and electrical cleaner to gently ream each terminal on the harness connector, and cleaned the ECM pins with a gentle abrasive blast.

Also noticed that when the PowerLogger was originally installed in the ECM, the procedure to remove the conformal coating from the edge connector was not entirely effective, so I have ensured that is clean. And, the post wasn't in place to support the PowerLogger. It is raining heavily now, but once that is cleared up I'm going to make a new plastic post to attach the boards correctly.

I understand better now what the PowerLogger does, and that it doesn't affect the ECM when it is working correctly. However, it does connect to the data lines of the ECM processor; so it stands to reason that if it is making a poor connection or is shifting and touching the wrong points on the edge connector, it could cause the ECM to have problems. Once I get it all together with cleaned and properly attached parts, I'll give it another go!

Thanks again for the support. I really appreciate it!
Sincerely,
David

Got an update! After cleaning the residual conformal coating from the ECM edge connector, and installing a fastener to retain the PowerLogger into the ECM, and cleaning the connectors for the harness - it runs beautifully. Also, the PowerLogger Console software is working correctly.

This car is an 85, with an 86/87 spec engine. The ECM is located under the passengers side carpet, as opposed to behind the kick panel. I am not sure if it is in the original position or not. The PowerLogger was very vulnerable to being pressed on or otherwise affected by the carpet or certain car audio equipment which has been added.

To help mitigate this risk, I used another ECM cover and modified it differently than the instructions show. Instead of breaking off the end of the housing to allow edge connector access, I bent that part of the housing to form a guard for the installed PowerLogger. Also, I used Nomex 410 insulation paper under the PowerLogger so that it can't short out on the ECM case if something happens.

PXL_20240305_234616879 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240305_235120439 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240305_235134658 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20240306_002710304 (Medium).jpg

The 84/85 ECM lives in the same spot as the 86/87's - Passenger side kick plate.
Nice modification to the ECM.

Thank you guys for the replies. I wonder why this car's ECM has been relocated to the floorboard?

I've been working on the air conditioning since the ECM repairs. No further ECM problems at all. The A/C is frustrating because he spent a lot of cash on an A/C repair a few years ago which never worked properly. They put the wrong seals in the hose manifold at the compressor, plus crossthreaded the high pressure fan switch so that it didn't press the Schrader core and sense pressure.... but none of that would matter because the fan wasn't hooked up correctly anyway. It never ceases to amaze me the poor craftsmanship people will unashamedly charge money for.