Gnx X-ray

I remember seeing the X-ray in Bowling Green Kentucky during the Buick event in May 1993-94,95 (can't remember for sure). I was 21 years old and I was attending Western Kentucky University, I was driving my 89 Turbo Trans Am.
Very cool memory of that vary cool car.:)

Tiger Wheels

Well I found one of the elusive tiger wheel white GNX models. I was able to get it from Alex one of this group’s members:smile: . This will go good with my car along with the X RAY die cast. Regards Rick

Attachments

• DSCN0257.jpg
    DSCN0257.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,232
Hello Rick, I seen the pics of your modified headlight buckets on X-RAY. Do they serve as air intakes? I do not recall seeing an underhood picture of what they do. I was wondering , I am a custom mold maker that works in the EDM dept. I bet your car would look neat with a turbo cover that said "X-RAY" instead of GNX. Just a thought.
Thanks COACH

Hello Rick, I seen the pics of your modified headlight buckets on X-RAY. Do they serve as air intakes? I do not recall seeing an underhood picture of what they do. I was wondering , I am a custom mold maker that works in the EDM dept. I bet your car would look neat with a turbo cover that said "X-RAY" instead of GNX. Just a thought.
Thanks COACH

Yes the headlamp buckets do serve an additional cold air into the engine compartment; there is no additional ducting I simply cut the bucket leaving approximately 1.5 inches of the front of headlamp buckets. (see attached picture).
As for the X RAY on the turbo cover I actually considered doing that when I was getting all the parts gathered before actually building the car but decided agents it as I felt it would take away from the reverse image I was trying to portray. Thanks for trying to help:biggrin: . Regards Rick

Attachments

• DSCN0261.jpg
    DSCN0261.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,200
Hi Rick

Well how could i not get a white gnx tiger wheel to MR. XRAY himself:) one of the turbo buicks coolest!!!!!!!!! hope ya enjoy the diecast....it was my last extra...but i know its in a great home!!!!!! cya ALEX

headlight vents...

I like the headlight vents you made up. One question: would ducting directly to the air filter have any significant advantages/drawbacks?

Wow great thread and awesome that XRay's owner and builder is here chatting it up. I post on several non-Buick related forums and it's always funny to hear people bring up X-Ray and all the internet myths about the car. I had one guy argue dilligently that it was built by Buick at the same time as the first Black GNX so they could decide if they wanted to do black or white. lol

Wow I never noticed the headlight vents you had on that car. Pretty cool, I've been thinking about doing something like that since I have HIDs now and don't really need my high beams. Might use this method to route cool air to my external fluid coolers.

Headliner

Well for me, today was like the first day of spring in Michigan:smile: …..It was sixty degrees and I was able to work on the Buick. Worked on removing the headliner and replacing the material as it started to sag:frown: : …the removal process went nearly flawless except for the fuse I blew when removing the dome light (yea I know always disconnect the battery)… as you all know if you have done this before it is not hard but it is time consuming because of all the parts that need to be removed.
I actually received one bit of good advice that helped for removing the foam backing from the substrate. Richard Clark said to use a garden hose with high pressure for its removal. This process worked fairly well but I also used an ice scraper on the wet foam...I spent approximately two hours getting the headliner strip to the condition you see in this picture.
Now all I need to do is get some good headliner material ….I purchased material from e-bay but the color does not match close enough for my taste, so now I am looking. I actually found a sample of material from a local trim shop but found out it was discontinued. Any help would be appreciated:wink: . I also plan on re-trimming the sun visors.
Well today was the car…. tomorrow the yard :eek: ….do I have to?! Regards Rick

Attachments

• DSCN0290.jpg
    DSCN0290.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,703
  • DSCN0291.jpg
    DSCN0291.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • DSCN0293.jpg
    DSCN0293.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSCN0294.jpg
    DSCN0294.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSCN0295.jpg
    DSCN0295.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,000
Rick,

What Did You Use For Paint And Or Prep To Paint The Rubber Bumper Strips? And What Did You Use In Between The Flares And The Fenders?
Thanks, Jay.

I used adhesion promoter that is used on plastic parts prior to painting them ... and I left the BLACK p-seal in the basements :) and used nothing between the flare and the fenders. Regards Rick

GNX X-ray thoughts from Jerry

Hello all fellow BUICK enthusiasts,
I just wished to put in my 2 cents worth of opinion regarding the x-ray. It's a cool car indeed, I have the GMP model and most everyone GN one they made. IF I could have my own X-Ray Buick, I certainly would do it in SILVER. Just my opinion that it would look really sharp as a silver GNX. (of course the X-ray concept is Black/white is x-ray: photo opposites). Anyone have thoughts on my version?
I can relate to the GNX owners who can't decide to drive or just look at. My 87 GN has only 18k miles. I've always wanted the GNX, couldn't afford, and for many years think of cloning one. Problem is, I can't bring myself to alter my GN and cut into perfectly strait fenders. But I did get a real GNX dash to swap with that stupid digital thing. I can't say enough on how cool it is , and how much I enjoy it. I see real GNX parts on ebay, but somehow the auctions end early and someone scoops the stuff up. Maybe someday I'll take it to the X level, or not. Got emblems too, in the drawer, and the GNX dash emblem for # 010. Also my favorite #, GNX 403 (anyone have that one)
My fav. # because of the Olds 403 used in Buicks' 78 Riviera LXXV.
I thought GNX's came loaded. But they don't have one option my GN has
the twilight sentinel (auto headlights feature)- or factory astro-roof.
Well, to all those who go to the GS Nationals--enjoy. Like the GNX, it's only something I dream about. Maybe someday!
Drive safe, buckle up.
---ps- Good driving hint: like a boxer watches his opponents feet to show their next move---watch cars wheels to predict when they're gonna start moving or turning. (forget the turnsignals, watch their wheels.)

JERRY

Hello Rick,
Did you actually do the cutting on your car or did you have the person at ASC that did it to the others do it for you? Just wondering, how much for you to turn my GN into a clone? I see alot of the parts repoped and some NOS. Even the rear suspension and seat brace. I think the hardest part to find would be the turbo shields. I am not counting the special turbos themselves. I saw a thread here with an awesome dash being made by one member. Do you think it is possible?
Just daydreaming ,
Coach

“I just wished to put in my 2 cents worth of opinion regarding the x-ray. It's a cool car indeed, I have the GMP model and most everyone GN one they made. IF I could have my own X-Ray Buick, I certainly would do it in SILVER.”

Actually silver was my second choice…it certainly would look cool :D ….but white was for me…..Best Regards Rick

Hello Rick,
Did you actually do the cutting on your car or did you have the person at ASC that did it to the others do it for you? Just wondering, how much for you to turn my GN into a clone? I see alot of the parts repoped and some NOS. Even the rear suspension and seat brace. I think the hardest part to find would be the turbo shields. I am not counting the special turbos themselves. I saw a thread here with an awesome dash being made by one member. Do you think it is possible?
Just daydreaming ,
Coach

Good question.... I did the cutting and infect I made the original templates and worked on the actual fixtures that cutting the vehicles at the plant.If I had all the part I could still do the job (not that old yet:biggrin: ).
The conversion without the production fixtures and just using templates and taking you time would probably take three to four days….. with the proper facility and equipment anything is possible......Regards Rick

GNX Jerry has a thought

I like the silver idea too, since black and white exist.

I have been acquiring nos and gnx parts for a clone, not sure about interior gauges as I last heard the price is around $2,000 or more, plus suspension??

I bought hard top gn with 88,000 miles in excellent body shape, almost better than my garage queen t-top.

The hard top GN #2 needs a new paint job, so currently I am working on engine and exhaust... I have TA49 turbo, Stainless Steel Polished 3 Inch cat back exhaust, 16x8 gnx style rims, new bumper fillers front and back, gnx grill brackets, and badges, K&N filter, plus more engine stuff, kriban brace kit...

new nos headlight bezels and grill, plus the bezles and grill on the car now, plus my original bezels and grill from GN#1 that were replaced in 2005...

It is supposed to be fun project over the next couple years, but has become an obsession... sure is easy to spend cash for buick related parts, but it should be better and more fun than stocks or investments...

I am looking for gnx style gauges for speedo and etc, please send email if you have one for sale or ideas... what is the offset for kirban gnx style rims with 245/50/16 on all four corners, any special cuts or bends needed, since I had tire rub in front fender walls when turning hard left or right on GN#1 with stock rims and 235/60/15 setup, just had to burn the tires down and rotate tires to front to stop rubbing...

Hey Rick, I've aqquired a turbo unit that is marked "GNX #4 Mike Fohey" from the estate of a deceased friend. Does that mean anything to you? It also has the ID tag with; part # DA67398-3 & ser. #MEI4...regards, George