Forced Induction's FI91X report!

The old turbo is off. There's about 2 inches to spare to the radiator with the new turbo.

Attachments

• IMGP0797rs.jpg
    IMGP0797rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 753
The old T76 and the new FI91X. The next step will be to fabricate a T4 to T6 adapter plate.

Attachments

• IMGP0789rs.jpg
    IMGP0789rs.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 741
This pic shows how I made all that room up front.

Attachments

• IMGP0792rs.jpg
    IMGP0792rs.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 738
  • IMGP0802rs.jpg
    IMGP0802rs.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 727
Just cut the T4 flange off and weld a T6 flange in.
Believe me, for me, it will be far easier to make an adapter. Anyway, I need a little spacing (5/8" to 3/4") so that the compressor housing will clear the drysump pump drive belt. The spacer will also need to clock the turbo toward the radiator a little. 1/8 inch off the front side of the adapter should do it. Anyone have a suggestion on material to use for the adapter? Not stainless.

If you're not set on making your own adapter there are several places you can buy a pre-fabbed one relatively cheap.

Scott Wile

I've got to make it with a slight wedge shape so that it will clock the turbo towards the radiator slightly. I've seen the ones available on Ebay. It would be nice to be able to just buy one of those, but I need the wedge shape with the associated bolt holes on a different plane. It'll be easy stuff compared to what I've already done on this machine.

Don, if you don't want stainless I'd use regular low carbon steel like 1018 cold roll to match the expansion coefficient of the turbo. The coefficients for cast iron, 304SS, and low carbon steel are 6.55, 9.6, and 6.33 uinch/inch/F. I'm guessing the headers are 304SS and if the header flange is 304SS it will expand a good bit more (50% more) than the turbine flange which I assume is cast iron while low carbon and cast iron expand basically the same amount. To put some numbers on it, going from 70F to 800F (to guess a number for the pipe temp), a 4" flange in cast iron will grow 0.019", 304SS 0.028", and low carbon steel 0.018". So every heat cycle a 304SS flange and/or adaptor will squirm 0.011" back and forth against the cast iron turbine housing (or if it doesn't move it will warp that much). Get it JetHot coated if you want to rust proof it. If the header flange is 304SS you will still have the mismatch there but at least that stress won't be on the turbine housing, it should be handled by the adaptor.
[This is also the reason ATR used low carbon steel flanges on their 304SS headers because that matches up much better to both cast iron and aluminum than 304SS flanges do.]

Beautiful explanation. Thanks Carl. I was leaning towards that direction because I knew that the ATR flanges were mild steel, but now I know why.

Beautiful explanation. Thanks Carl. I was leaning towards that direction because I knew that the ATR flanges were mild steel, but now I know why.

Can't wait to see the final product. Car is going to kick some major butt. The FI98X seems to be going on a GN now as well. Someone called up and ordered one for a big Alky motor GN as well. Maybe some pics will show up of it as well...

Can't wait to see the final product. Car is going to kick some major butt. The FI98X seems to be going on a GN now as well. Someone called up and ordered one for a big Alky motor GN as well. Maybe some pics will show up of it as well...
It's got to be a stage II headed deal. Haven't heard of any other GNs doing pure alcohol. It would be interesting to see what he's doing.

I took measurements today. The adapter will be 7/8" thick at the thickest edge and 3/4" at the thinnest edge. Allen head capscrews will hold the adapter to the T4 flange through recessed holes. The T6 flange will be held to the adapter with allen capscrews that will thread into the adapter. I'm going to pick up the material tomorrow and drop it off at the waterjet shop.

Nice looking Turbo for sure in black. I would have thought it would come in more then 55#'s. My PT91.5 I believe came in at 70+#'s.