Code 14...Need Help Bad

I just replaced that switch and I am buttoning everything up now. It was definitely an old switch (possibly original) and had corrosion here and there so my fingers are crossed that it will be good to go now.

thats definately a possibility. Have heard of misalingned/loose crank sensors causing it to die suddenly but its wierd that it restarts so easily.

I talked to a local GN guru/mechanic to see if he had any spare ECM's for sale and he said it was either the crank sensor or ignition module causing my problem with the more likely culprit being the IGN module. I asked him about it starting so easy after it dies and he claimed that he has seen it a few times in the past and its been one of the two every time. I am about to go drive it on the highway and will drive it a long while tomorrow morning and really put it to the test.

I believe I told you to try a new module on the first reply to this post.

No doubt man. I wasn't trying to discredit you at all with that last post. I really respect this guy a lot, hes known in Oklahoma as the main turbo regal wrench guy and has helped me out a great deal in the past. If anything...in my mind...it just shows how much knowledge and diagnostic ability you have to both say the same thing. I'm just drawing upon all my resources at this point because this issue is driving me crazy.

And for an update, it died after 5 minutes on the road today so adjusting the crank sensor didn't cure me. Next in line is the ignition module. I am considering just buying one to have a spare if it doesn't fix it. Any suggestions on which one to buy?

Just replaced the ignition module and after a 20 minute cruise it died 3 times in a row. Like always put in neutral and starts right back up like nothing happened, drive ~500 yards dies again, repeat. It did not throw any codes this time and it usually displays code 14 CTS too high. Where do I go from here :confused: ??? Should my 02's be all over the place like that while cruising down the highway? Bouncing from .08 - .7?

Attachments

• new ign module.dat
    511 KB · Views: 56
Do you have a Scan master? Does it blank out?
Connect a meter to ground and ignition at the ecm and monitor the volts during the issue.
If OK, monitor battery and ground and do the same....report back...new ecm yet?

Referring to the second pic above...why would my A/F ratio go sky high an O2's bottom out just prior to "the event". Could I be losing fuel some how and the computers response to running that lean be to kill spark? Fuel psi seems constant.

Probably the injector driver in the pcm or something with the cam sensor defective....

Yes on the ign wire....pink/black

If fuel pressure, ign mod/coil pack, and ECM are good.....I would try removing the Powerlogger and see if the problem goes away. I have noticed on my car, if the PL is not firmly attached to the ECM, it will do weird shit like you described. I run a Scanmaster thru the PL as well and I can watch the Scanmaster display erroneous readings while driving on the highway even though the car is running fine...and then sometimes the car would just randomly start running like crap and then die. Double check you have a good connection from the PL to the ECM to include making sure you have the protective coating fully removed from the ECM contacts.

I seem to have "fixed" my problem by using long zipties to wrap the PL module to the ECM so there is no chance it will pull off the ECM. Especially when plugging in the USB cable into the PL. Yeah it sounds ghetto but it works for me LOL.

decided to take my ECM apart today and found this...

there was a loose screw with some discoloration around it. Fried????

here is the underside of that same area (outlined in red) Notice the two black boxes connected to that part have a white crust/film. they are the only ones like that.

Looks like water intrusion.....those chips could be the injector drivers? Bob Bailey or Capers will chime in?

Yeah I had a similar problem my ECM went up in a puff of smoke eventually check the convector to ECM make sure it's not water damaged and all the wires are secured

So far I have 100 trouble free highway miles after replacing the ECM. Hard for me to trust a car that has been so unreliable so I will post an update after some more cruise time.

thanks to everyone so far, I really appreciate the help. I just hope it is resolved so I can enjoy the car for the first time in the 4 years I have owned it.

So far I have 100 trouble free highway miles after replacing the ECM. Hard for me to trust a car that has been so unreliable so I will post an update after some more cruise time.

thanks to everyone so far, I really appreciate the help. I just hope it is resolved so I can enjoy the car for the first time in the 4 years I have owned it.

Cool! Thanks for the reply... Hang in there, after some turbo therapy it will all be worth it ;)

Typical causes for this code include:

1) Severe engine overheating
2) Defective Coolant Temperature Sensor (resistance too low)
3) Short circuit in CTS-ECM harness
4) Defective ECM

It was definitely the ECM. Ive been on a few 30-60 mile highway trips since replacing without any issues. I would have been money ahead to follow the above advice (which I also saw on gnttype.org prior to making this thread). I see why people would suspect the ignition switch or module though, and replacing those parts forced me to clean up some wiring issues I had been neglecting and made me that much more familiar with these cars.

I really appreciate all the help everyone. Just got my alky kit primed and ready to be turned up :nailbiting: