Code 14...Need Help Bad

Purple is the starter...no foul there.....have you checked the grounds on back of passenger head? Also unhook alternator control connector to see if alt is putting out ac at rpms...

those grounds were checked yesterday and good to go. Would you mind explaining exactly how I would go about testing it for AC with my multimeter?

I would un hook the control wire from the alternator and then test drive first. I test a_c voltage by setting my volt meter to a c and monitor through the cigarette lighter plug while I am driving.it should not be over1 half ac volt

Thank you for that, Ill give it a shot after I replace the ignition switch and get everything buttoned up. It has a new NAPA alternator that was meant for a '96 impala SS as well as a caspers field fix harness. Im praying its not the alternator as im pretty sure I lost the box and receipt during the rebuild. I have a feeling its not since it would do this with the old alternator as well but I will give it a go.

thank you again for your time and help...I need all I can get.

If it did it with the old alt, that's not the problem.....have you checked the power wire by battery that goes to starter? It sometimes its hit by the downpipe

yes checked it yesterday. Had the car on a rack with the rear wheels lifted and "driving" at 50 MPH while everything was wiggled and tapped trying to get it to shut down including crank sensor, cam sensor, + wire you mentioned, fusable links, coil pack ignition module, every other wire that was visible...and it never did. But after about 10 minutes on the highway like clockwork it dies. The ECM did feel kinda hot and got up to 106 degrees during all of this.

eve definitely done your homework I could see how you can be stopped I would be too um have you checked the connectors on the ecm terminals/connectors like maybe from water intrusion? Do you have a spare ecm to try? What state are you?

Connectors look good nothing corroded or bent. I do not have a spare but I could possibly find one. I live in central oklahoma

The alarm system has me wondering if it could be some type of built in anti theft feature that just shuts me down? Like I mentioned above im pretty wormy to all of this and learning as I go.

I've never seen an alarm cut a carbwhike driving... That would be a liability issue.
I have a new spare you can use if needed.tested good of course....you find its good to have spare parts to cover any situation .

yea youre right about the liability thing. There are a few local GN gurus I will call and see if they have any laying around.

Also, if you have a spare battery to try? I've seen interment internal plate shorts cause simular symptoms..

the battery was replaced a few months ago and like the alternator this same issue would happen with the old unit as well. Maybe I will get lucky and replacing the ign switch will fix it. I will update after I give it a test run.

anybody have an idea what this purple wire goes to? I dropped the column and just going through some things and noticed this right off the bat.

This is where I left off today :cry:

Once I dropped the column I just kept on finding half a$$ed garbage and had to fix it while I had access. Got the new ign switch in and its functioning as it should. Tomorrow I have to drive it 30 minutes to a shop to fix a rear brake cylinder that blew yesterday and figure out my brake light issues. Hopefully shes all fixed up and doesn't die on me. :cautious:

You have a birds nest of a mess there to clean up and you might find your problem in that but It possible you have a bad ignition switch ( the electrical part) The fact that it works with no key shows the switch is worn/broken but what about the electric component of the switch? good luck !

I just replaced that switch and I am buttoning everything up now. It was definitely an old switch (possibly original) and had corrosion here and there so my fingers are crossed that it will be good to go now.

Died after 20 minutes on the highway like usual so it was not the ignition switch. We racked it at my dads shop and he cleaned and adjusted the crank sensor and it did not die on the 30 minute drive home so its hopeful. Im not going to celebrate until it has had some more road time. I will update after driving it some more.