car keeps stalling

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
the car has stalled on me 3 times today, all of them when i was coming up to a stop.. what could be going on? i know there is a multitude of what it could be, but can anyone offer anny suggestions?

i know my idle TPS is off, about .7 at idle, i know thats high but would that be making the difference? it didnt seem to want to get adjust the other day when i was messing with it.. but then i didnt have a scanner, i only had a volt meter and i dont know if i was getting the best reading...

anyways i can try and bum a scanner tomorrow, but any ideas of what could be going on here?

-neil

I would check the chip. There are certain values that need to be changed in order to keep the inertia of a large stall torque convertor. I would run a quick search on the forum, and find out the values.

-DC:cool:

its a stock chip and only a 2800 stall converter... i dont think that would make that much of a difference, could it be the fuel pump dying? that popped into my head just now?

-neil

Get a scan tool and set your TPS and IAC. Don't go looking for other problems until you correct the known ones. You may find yourself in a maze you can't get out of!

I've also heard of this happening because of gunk(oil, dirt, etc...) built up in the throttlebody. When was the last time you cleaned it? If you do decide to clean it, it would probably be a good time to clean out your intercooler also.

i agree with tow man.before anyone "ever" looks for a problem their car "must" be tuned properly(tps volts etc.
).get that stuff straight first and then address any problems from there.

this is not just my opinion."this is a fact"

thanks,nick

If you are going to play around,
and start making changes abound,
you are just flirting with disaster ,
without at the least a scanmaster.

Kidding around, but deadly serious. You need to have at the least a scanmaster so that you can instantly see what is going on with all of your sensors and readings while driving. It isone of the best investments you can make.

Originally posted by Sinful6
I've also heard of this happening because of gunk(oil, dirt, etc...) built up in the throttlebody. When was the last time you cleaned it? If you do decide to clean it, it would probably be a good time to clean out your intercooler also.

did that last week ;)

-neil

It could be a combination of low oil pressure and a bad fuel relay. If the fuel relay is bad the oil pressure switch is used as a backup. There may be insufficient oil pressure at idle to active the switch.

So:
1) Check your fuel pump relay on the fender, if bad fix or replace
2) Check your oil pressure, verify either the oil pressure switch is working or you have adequate oil pressure (> 7 lbs?)

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Danster
Are you sure it's not the TCC solenoid? It may be sticking. Just a thought!

nope, because when i flip the TCC switch i can still feel it lock up..

and i hope i have good oil pressure..... how can i check to see if its the relays?

-neil

If the IAC and TPS are set correctly then I would try a different chip.When you say you have a stock chip do you mean the original factory chip?I've seen cars not run very well with certain chips and run great with others.

yes, factory chip... i am going to try and get that winALDL to work today and hopfully i can get the TPS and IAC set right

some one told me that when you get the idle TPS set right you can snug the scews, mash the gas and the WOT TPS would be set correctly? true or myth?

thanks

-neil

An easy way to check the relay is to turn the key to the run position without starting the car. Listen for the fuel pump to run (should run for about 5 seconds), if it runs the relay is working.

relay works though, the fuel pump is really loud.. i dont know if thats a good sign, considering its the stock pump, and when something like the blinker is on, the fuel pump whines to the 'beat' of the turn signal... :eek:

-neil

After I got my first GN, started stalling every time I stopped at a light.
Got a new IAC, never happened again.

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor

some one told me that when you get the idle TPS set right you can snug the scews, mash the gas and the WOT TPS would be set correctly? true or myth?

thanks

-neil

That is a myth and the first I've ever heard of that! The TPS must be set at both idle and full throttle. It's kind of a balancing act until you get between .40 to .46 at idle and 4.55 to 4.85 at full throttle. If your idle is set correctly, it doesn't mean the WOT is where it should be. You have to adjust for both.

If your IAC is out of whack and requires idle screw adjustment, you will have to set your TPS all over again. Just keep going between the 2 until they are both within spec. You won't believe the difference in idle quality once it's set up correctly!

Read this for more info; http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/TPS.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/faq/IACresetscan.html

Have fun!:)