car keeps stalling

Neil, don't forget to tell people you didn't have this problem till you installed the powerplate and cleaned out your IC. How's your idle? Perhaps we set it a tad TOO low? Borrow a volt meter and set that TPS.

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
it stalled again twice on the way to school, nuts, i really need to get my hands on a scanner...

-neil

Neil, I am very busy this week, but I may be able to swing by with my OTC and check that thing out for you tommorow night, after I take a final exam that starts @ 7:30 pm. Call me.

-Alex

this hapend to me last year with my dads 87 gn. i started putting everything back the way that it was before we had the problem with it staling. to make a long story short. it was the missing screens in the MAF. i never thought that it would make that big of a difference, but it did. expecially on a cold night. as soon as i would let my foot of the gas and the idle would go down, it would stall. Do you have your screens in your maf? if you took out all of 3 of them, try putting one in at a time untill it stops. if thats even the problem

good luck - jeff

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Neil, don't forget to tell people you didn't have this problem till you installed the powerplate and cleaned out your IC. How's your idle? Perhaps we set it a tad TOO low? Borrow a volt meter and set that TPS.

i dont think that has much to do with it because this started happening the day i met up with you, i would think if it had to do with the TPS and the idle control it would have started doing it right afterwards? :confused:

Alex i will give you a buzz tomorrow sometime

thanks everyone

-Neil

i just turned the idle up a little bit, i will tell you if it makes any difference at all... BTW it stalled 2 more times this afternoon...

-neil

The idle is ECM controlled! If you are messing with the throttle plate screw, your TPS and IAC counts are most certainly out of whack! That screw will not raise your idle, it's your minimum air rate adjustment. The ecm will always lower your idle back down to 650-700rpm unless you have it so far out of spec that it can no longer do so.

Without a scan tool you are playing in the dark. If you can't afford a Scanmaster right away, pick up an OTC 2000 with a '87 gm chip. I got mine like brand new off ebay for $50.00 and change.

Like I said, if you've messed with the minimum air rate screw, you now know what the problem is without a doubt!

Good luck!

Had to, bub...the idle was way high. You got an OTC for $50? Wow...that's cheeeeeep.

well the car stalled again last night, i know im just kinda of stabbing in the dark when i try and adjust the IAC, but now (this afternoon) when i was leaving from taking the SATs (they were a blast :rolleyes: ) the idle was back high again.. probably around 1200...

humm, im going to try turning the IAC down a wee bit, but any other ideas?

-Neil

Stock chip was notorious for stalling on many cars, and when combined with a higher stall converter it has a hard time keeping the engine alive when coming to a stop.

If the tps is above ~.48v, the IAC may not control idle correctly.

Regards,
Eric